Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Physics help????? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey, When you have say a voltage-current graph with a sloping line and a question say asks you to work out maximum power. I know that P = IV but what do you use for 'I' and 'V'. Do you have to work out an average and how do you do this??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by need_help)
    Hey, When you have say a voltage-current graph with a sloping line and a question say asks you to work out maximum power. I know that P = IV but what do you use for 'I' and 'V'. Do you have to work out an average and how do you do this??
    i'm pretty sure you would work out the area under the graph.
    you can always look at it this way: if the units on each axes multiply together to give the required result, then you need to find the area under the graph.
    if the unit on the y-axis divided by the unit on the x-axis gives the required result, then you need to find the gradient of the line, since grad. = (change in y) / (change in x)

ReputationRep:
    Well, as you said, Power can be calculated as IV.

To calculate the average power i.e.) Average rate of energy transfer, you can calculate the area under the graph, providing that the graph is linear in this section.

Hence, you would have a triangle and the area of this can be used as the average power maintained over this section.

Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the quick responses - the product multiply/divide thing for area and gradient is very useful.

This particular question asks for the maximum power. The graph only remains linear/constant for a small section. How would i work this out.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the quick responses - the product multiply/divide thing for area and gradient is very useful.

This particular question asks for the maximum power. The graph only remains linear/constant for a small section. How would i work this out.
    Well, if they are asking for maximum power then this is the point on the linear graph where voltage and current are at maximum values.

Just find the value of V and I at this maximum point on the graph, and multiply them to give the Maximum power.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm....I tried that at first. The question asks you to prove the maximum power is 1.4W and using the maximum values you get 1.8W - not very close really when its such small numbers involved. I've tried to attach the question. See what you think.
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: doc right.doc (43.5 KB, 88 views)

ReputationRep:
    Hmm....I tried that at first. The question asks you to prove the maximum power is 1.4W and using the maximum values you get 1.8W - not very close really when its such small numbers involved. I've tried to attach the question. See what you think.
    You have to do it where the product is the highest - ie both are as high as possible, so it looks like about .45ish Volts * 3.2ish Amps which comes out at 1.44 Watts

ReputationRep:
    ahh...i see. Thanks for that.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.