Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all! Looking for opinions about the catering options at Durham.

I will be starting the PGCE Primary course in September and am wondering whether the fully catered option would offer good value for money.

Some questions I have:

At what times are the meals served each day? What is the earliest you can eat breakfast? Latest you can eat dinner?

Is it significantly more expensive to "pay as you go" eating college meals?

I don't think I'll have time to cook next year so I want to get myself fed with as little hassle and cost as possible.

I'd especially like to hear the opinions of some PGCE students. I'm wondering whether the catered option represents good value or whether you miss a lot of meals during your placements (up to 20 weeks spent in schools).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wavejumper1)
    Hi all! Looking for opinions about the catering options at Durham.

I will be starting the PGCE Primary course in September and am wondering whether the fully catered option would offer good value for money.

Some questions I have:

At what times are the meals served each day? What is the earliest you can eat breakfast? Latest you can eat dinner?

Is it significantly more expensive to "pay as you go" eating college meals?

I don't think I'll have time to cook next year so I want to get myself fed with as little hassle and cost as possible.

I'd especially like to hear the opinions of some PGCE students. I'm wondering whether the catered option represents good value or whether you miss a lot of meals during your placements (up to 20 weeks spent in schools).
    Hi, I'm a current student at Durham, currently at Van Mildert. I have a place for a PGCE here starting in September. At Mildert, meal times are the following:
    breakfast 8-10
    lunch 12-2
    dinner 5.15-7
    Then we are fed on weekends as well with similar times. Every college varies slightly but they're close enough.
    It is significantly more expensive to pay as you eat with College, at Mildert lunch and dinner are £6.25 each.
    I have decided to live out of college next year as i'm concerned about missing meals but i'm sure youd catch most of them. And college provides added conveniences of things lile you don't have to clean, all rooms and bathrooms are cleaned for you. Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    Is the catering in Durham fully optional? I have been allocated to St Johns but want to be completely self catered.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fds2988)
    Is the catering in Durham fully optional? I have been allocated to St Johns but want to be completely self catered.
    If your college is 'fully catered' then you do not have the opportunity or choice to be self catered. You will not have access to appropriate cooking facilities and will be paying for all of your meals in your college fees.
    I think St John's is fully catered isn't it?
    The colleges at Durham that are fully catered mean just that too - 3 meals, 7 days a week, unlike other universities where 'fully catered' excludes some weekend meals etc..

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.