Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So this year I've mucked up, I applied to medicine, got 3 straight no interview rejections, and 1 interview which I'm waiting to hear back on.

If it is another rejection, what's the better option, grad entry or gap year?

- if u can be asked, in as much detail as u want, explain why?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hello there!

There are a number of factors to consider when thinking about GEM vs. a gap year.
    1. Do you really want to study a non-Medicine degree for 3/4 years?
    2. Are you aware that GEM A101 is often considered to be even more competitive than applying to A100 Medicine?
    3. Many students take a gap year to improve their applications for re-applying, and many succeed.

Why not have a read of our free blog on what to do if your applications are unsuccessful. It's got lots of information and useful links to help you boost your application for the next time you apply to Medicine.

Also check out this page of The Student Room on Medicine Gap Years, and this page on what to do if you have 4 Medicine rejections.

We hope this helps, and that gap year students who reapplied and GEM applicants also post to give you a little more insight!

The Medic Portal

ReputationRep:
    Hey!!

Hmm I'll have to look more into biomedical science to see if I'll enjoy the 3 years of study.
    Yeah, everyone says grad entry med is very competitive, do you mind giving me some numerical averages on how competitive it is in terms of applicant to interview ratio, applicant to offer ratio?
    Hmm I'm beginning to sway towards the gap year option now actually.

Do you think this is a good final decision:
    if I get in this year, great I start straight, if I dont, I'll work hard to get minimum AAA and apply again next year, OR if I DON'T get AAA, I'll take the biomed offer and apply as a graduate??

Also, may I ask, what are the chances of those gap year applicants who DIDN'T get AAA + ??

Thanks your post was very helpful!

ReputationRep:
    What were your A-level results? Where did you apply to this year? Could you make a better selection of choices next year that play to your strengths? For example places that emphasize work experience and personal statement over grades?

I think people will need more information to help you make a more informed decision.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by heyfellowhuman)
    Hey!!

Hmm I'll have to look more into biomedical science to see if I'll enjoy the 3 years of study.
    Yeah, everyone says grad entry med is very competitive, do you mind giving me some numerical averages on how competitive it is in terms of applicant to interview ratio, applicant to offer ratio?
    Hmm I'm beginning to sway towards the gap year option now actually.

Do you think this is a good final decision:
    if I get in this year, great I start straight, if I dont, I'll work hard to get minimum AAA and apply again next year, OR if I DON'T get AAA, I'll take the biomed offer and apply as a graduate??

Also, may I ask, what are the chances of those gap year applicants who DIDN'T get AAA + ??

Thanks your post was very helpful!
    Hello again

Well, if you haven't given much thought into BioMed yet, it may be a bit risky to plunge straight in and do three years of it! Definitely try and do some research into what the course is like, and think about whether you really truly want to do Medicine. If the answer to the last part is yes, most people would probably recommend you take a year out and then reapply rather than going for GEM.

One thing that we've heard time and again from medics is that taking a Medicine gap year, and reapplying after 1 year makes hardly any difference in the grand scheme of things. You'll only be one year behind your original plan.

For competition ratios for undergraduate Medicine, take a look at this page on The Student room and the website themsag.com.

We've got a list of how many Graduate Entry Medicine places various universities offer here. Whilst it doesn't show competition ratios you can see that there are far fewer places on offer in general (data is from 2014 entry numbers, but it won't have changed much).

We think definitely work super hard to get at least AAA, if not higher! And then if you don't get those grades, consider retaking A levels during your gap year and reapplying afterwards.

Like we said before, definitely have a read of our blog on what do it you don't get into Medicine this year if you haven't already.

Also - why don't you try looking for a Grad Entry Medicine thread on The Student Room? You could try and contact students applying and get first-hand info on what it's like.

We hope this helps, and good luck!

The Medic Portal

ReputationRep:
    from experience take a gap year( i might sound a bit bias). Last year I got 1 interview and rejected. I was definitely in a better position this year because got 4. I started working and being a bit more independent. I had a year to do so many things I enjoy.
    From what I have heard graduate entry is more competitive. However I think there are schemes where you can start like a biomedical degree and move onto medicine in the firsr year.(dont quote me on that though) How you get an offer from your last place

So this year I've mucked up, I applied to medicine, got 3 straight no interview rejections, and 1 interview which I'm waiting to hear back on.

ReputationRep:

Hey!

If your heart is set on Medicine, I would say you should definitely take a gap year! I'm currently on a gap year, after receiving 4 pre-interview rejections last year - I'm now sitting with 4 offers!

Looking back, a gap year has been the best thing I've ever done! I'm working in a children's hospital for the year, and it's absolutely fantastic! The best part is getting paid, as I'm now a lot more comfortable financially than all of my friends at University!

Yes, going through graduate entry would be great considering that you'll have another degree under your belt, and you'll get to go straight to University, but all I will say is that Medicine is worth the wait! You can also intercalate in medicine, so you're saving yourself at least 3 years by waiting another year! A gap year seems really daunting and a long time to wait, but it goes in so fast, and you really will gain a lot from your gap year! Another thing to note is that graduate entry is a lot harder to get into!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by madmed16)
    Hey!

If your heart is set on Medicine, I would say you should definitely take a gap year! I'm currently on a gap year, after receiving 4 pre-interview rejections last year - I'm now sitting with 4 offers!

Looking back, a gap year has been the best thing I've ever done! I'm working in a children's hospital for the year, and it's absolutely fantastic! The best part is getting paid, as I'm now a lot more comfortable financially than all of my friends at University!

Yes, going through graduate entry would be great considering that you'll have another degree under your belt, and you'll get to go straight to University, but all I will say is that Medicine is worth the wait! You can also intercalate in medicine, so you're saving yourself at least 3 years by waiting another year! A gap year seems really daunting and a long time to wait, but it goes in so fast, and you really will gain a lot from your gap year! Another thing to note is that graduate entry is a lot harder to get into!
    Good advice!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.