Turn on thread page Beta

Setting up an international non-profit organisation watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

I'm a first year University student and I am looking to set up a non-profit organisation abroad with a society i'm in.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience in doing so, where to start? I need to find a community that requires a need, and find a solution for this.

Has anyone got any ideas of something that would be a relatively simple idea that could be set up to help an international community in need?

I was thinking maybe setting up fruit stalls in Africa, teaching people how to dry out fruit and sell them as snacks.

Any help would be much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    Hi there! I haven't gone to do what you are trying to accomplish but I'm gonna give you points that might be necessary or .....make sense lol.

1. Compile your society's legal papers (Create a portfolio of those affairs your society has done) and send them out when you found a place to have your organization in.
    2. Seek institution (Try local government) from the country you're interested in, that might be able to help you establish your non-profit organization. Talk to them and relay your intentions and motives.
    3. Send them a proposal. List out the pros of your proposed non-profit organization. Also list out the objectives of your proposed organization.

**it would be best if you visit the country yourself to make them feel you really are serious about your plan

So that's my suggestion

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by livtheblondie)
    Hi!

I'm a first year University student and I am looking to set up a non-profit organisation abroad with a society i'm in.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience in doing so, where to start? I need to find a community that requires a need, and find a solution for this.

Has anyone got any ideas of something that would be a relatively simple idea that could be set up to help an international community in need?

I was thinking maybe setting up fruit stalls in Africa, teaching people how to dry out fruit and sell them as snacks.

Any help would be much appreciated!
    I wish you a lot of luck. Your greatest hurdle will be looking for funding (this will continue to be a hurdle even much later in life, i'm afraid). Have you done the research into the particular advocacy you're aiming for? Without that sort of thing, it'll be even harder to find people to fund your goals because it will seem to them that you don't have goals yet.

You need to come up with something more concrete, and that requires research. Maybe even first-hand immersion in the country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ProudParent75)
    I wish you a lot of luck. Your greatest hurdle will be looking for funding (this will continue to be a hurdle even much later in life, i'm afraid). Have you done the research into the particular advocacy you're aiming for? Without that sort of thing, it'll be even harder to find people to fund your goals because it will seem to them that you don't have goals yet.

You need to come up with something more concrete, and that requires research. Maybe even first-hand immersion in the country.
    Oh yes, this. Funding is important to implement an organization. research on how you'll get funding for this. Have a fund raising, maybe?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yourJeremyL)
    Oh yes, this. Funding is important to implement an organization. research on how you'll get funding for this. Have a fund raising, maybe?
    There are some websites that can help you set up a crowdfunding campaign. Those can make it super easy for people who are interested in helping you out to do so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ProudParent75)
    There are some websites that can help you set up a crowdfunding campaign. Those can make it super easy for people who are interested in helping you out to do so.
    What websites are they??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yourJeremyL)
    What websites are they??
    GoFundMe, among others. But of course you'll have to present a good campaign, and that requires research. You can't just go forward without an agenda.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Two issues.

1. as pointed out above its funding.
    2. people are unlikely to give you money unless they are sure about your legitimacy and that you arent a scam. You need to set yourself up properly as a charity of you wnat the benefits.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.