Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    has anyone on here tried to transfer unis after first year and not been able to? if so then for what reason, what course did you want to change to/from and at which universities?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by dis0rder)
    has anyone on here tried to transfer unis after first year and not been able to? if so then for what reason, what course did you want to change to/from and at which universities?
    If you look in the stickied "University Transfers FAQ" thread in the Applications and UCAS forum then there are stories in there of successful and unsuccessful applications.

Are you asking out of curiosity or because you're considering a transfer?

ReputationRep:
    I haven't been in this situation, but the most common reason that students aren't able to transfer is because the course content is too different. Unless a degree is accredited by an outside body (such as psychology degrees by the British Psychological Society), no-one regulates what each uni covers on each degree. Two students studying history at two different universities could have taken completely different modules, and admissions staff at a uni accepting a transfer may decide that an incoming student lacks knowledge that would be essential for year 2 at their university.

Sometimes students will also be rejected because the uni feels that they won't cope academically with the course they want to join, usually because of poor performance at their current uni, or poor grades before uni.

All transfers will be reliant on the new uni having space to accept a transfer. Usually, some students will drop out and fail in year 1, but if the course already has students joining later on (e.g. from foundation degrees at partner colleges) or the course is unusually full, the uni may not want to take a transfer student.

I hope this helps a bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    If you look in the stickied "University Transfers FAQ" thread in the Applications and UCAS forum then there are stories in there of successful and unsuccessful applications.

Are you asking out of curiosity or because you're considering a transfer?
    I'm considering one very seriously, my only problem is the fact that my a-levels are too low and it might be what stops me from transferring so I was wondering if it also happened to anyone else

(Original post by SlowlorisIncognito)
    I haven't been in this situation, but the most common reason that students aren't able to transfer is because the course content is too different. Unless a degree is accredited by an outside body (such as psychology degrees by the British Psychological Society), no-one regulates what each uni covers on each degree. Two students studying history at two different universities could have taken completely different modules, and admissions staff at a uni accepting a transfer may decide that an incoming student lacks knowledge that would be essential for year 2 at their university.

Sometimes students will also be rejected because the uni feels that they won't cope academically with the course they want to join, usually because of poor performance at their current uni, or poor grades before uni.

All transfers will be reliant on the new uni having space to accept a transfer. Usually, some students will drop out and fail in year 1, but if the course already has students joining later on (e.g. from foundation degrees at partner colleges) or the course is unusually full, the uni may not want to take a transfer student.

I hope this helps a bit.
    that was very informative thank you!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    I'm considering one very seriously, my only problem is the fact that my a-levels are too low and it might be what stops me from transferring so I was wondering if it also happened to anyone else

that was very informative thank you!
    There's no harm in asking. An informal enquiry is fairly straight forward to do and it's in the university's interest to give you a truthful answer (if they lie and say you have a chance when you don't then they're just going to end up with more paperwork)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    There's no harm in asking. An informal enquiry is fairly straight forward to do and it's in the university's interest to give you a truthful answer (if they lie and say you have a chance when you don't then they're just going to end up with more paperwork)
    I have emailed the general admission team a few weeks ago but they weren't very helpful, I half-filled out a new UCAS application and stated the entry point 2 but now decided to email the specific admissions tutor to ask whether it's possible to transfer with my circumstances and I'm waiting for a reply which feels like ages and I only sent the email on Friday haha
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    I have emailed the general admission team a few weeks ago but they weren't very helpful, I half-filled out a new UCAS application and stated the entry point 2 but now decided to email the specific admissions tutor to ask whether it's possible to transfer with my circumstances and I'm waiting for a reply which feels like ages and I only sent the email on Friday haha
    It might be worth ringing to chase up any emails. It shows that you're expecting a response.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    It might be worth ringing to chase up any emails. It shows that you're expecting a response.
    i'll wait until Wednesday to give me an answer, they might have been unavailable at weekends to respond to emails, then i'll either walk to the uni offices and ask because I'd be transferring unis within the city so it's only a walking distance away, or i'll phone in

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.