Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

Basically I am currently on an MA social work masters, but I'm really not enjoying it. I would much rather be working and earning money or travelling. I have been having thoughts of dropping out for the last couple of months and doing a TEFL course to teach abroad... however, my dilemma is about paying back the NHS bursary? They give me £6000 a year to live on and pay most of my university fees. I'm almost half way through the course now, so I don't know whether to stick it out or call it quits. I'm not usually one to quit at things, especially something as big as this, but I am really unhappy on this course.

I would appreciate any responses because I think I'm a bit blinded by the fact I'm not enjoying it and forgetting to think about the future!

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Quitting for something you want more, is not quitting. You just want to take the more interesting path for yourself. I say go drop what you're having now and pursue what you think will give you a future. Go do a TEFL and teach abroad.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Two things to consider, do you need to pay the bursary back if you quit? If so I'd finish the course. You may find us for it later.

Do you actually need the masters? If not and you don't need to pay back the money they quit and do what you want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mehhh.....hi.)
    Hi everyone,

Basically I am currently on an MA social work masters, but I'm really not enjoying it. I would much rather be working and earning money or travelling. I have been having thoughts of dropping out for the last couple of months and doing a TEFL course to teach abroad... however, my dilemma is about paying back the NHS bursary? They give me £6000 a year to live on and pay most of my university fees. I'm almost half way through the course now, so I don't know whether to stick it out or call it quits. I'm not usually one to quit at things, especially something as big as this, but I am really unhappy on this course.

I would appreciate any responses because I think I'm a bit blinded by the fact I'm not enjoying it and forgetting to think about the future!

Thanks
    finish what you started. you may not enjoy it now, but you will feel glad by the end.

ReputationRep:
    hmmmm... I guess john2054 is somehow right right about his post. If you're already half way the academic year, then definitely don't stop. but if you're still early to pull-out the program then I guess dropping out won't be much of a discomfort for ya.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.