Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Thread Starter

    Hi everyone,

    Basically I am currently on an MA social work masters, but I'm really not enjoying it. I would much rather be working and earning money or travelling. I have been having thoughts of dropping out for the last couple of months and doing a TEFL course to teach abroad... however, my dilemma is about paying back the NHS bursary? They give me £6000 a year to live on and pay most of my university fees. I'm almost half way through the course now, so I don't know whether to stick it out or call it quits. I don't know if they would make me pay it back if I was to drop out now?

    I would appreciate any responses because I think I'm a bit blinded by the fact I'm not enjoying it and forgetting to think about the future!

    • Very Important Poster

    Very Important Poster
    If you are half way though I would focus and knuckle down. get the qualification.
    Talk to your tutor or someone who knows you and you can trust, but unless it was dire, then i'd carry on. If its 5 months, then plan for what you want to do after.

    Contact whoever is funding you, but am sure they would make you pay it back because you havent complied with the terms on which they gave you i.e to complete the course. After a bit of reseacrh.

    "If you withdraw from your course you must tell us straight away as your entitlement to bursary payments ends on the day you withdraw. You will have to pay back any bursary that you have received for the time you were not in study".

    On this basis stick it out because if you do you save yourself the bursary i.e £6000.

    The contact details about change in circumstances are on this link at the end of the pdf.http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/Documents/Students/Your_guide_to_NHS_Student_Bursar ies_2016_-17_%28V1%29_09.2015_Web.pdf
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

    Sponsored features:

    Making money from your own website

    Need some cash?

    How to make money running your own website.

    Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

    Handle your digital footprint

    What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

    Groups associated with this forum:

    View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

    Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

    Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.