Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I really need to get down to some revision but when it comes down to it I don't want to do it, please can I have some help motivating me and fun ways to revise. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pumpkin135)
    I really need to get down to some revision but when it comes down to it I don't want to do it, please can I have some help motivating me and fun ways to revise. Thanks
    Why is it you don't want to do it?

If its because something more enjoyable is distracting you, remove the stimulus immediately. Phone? Lock it and change the pin. Laptop? Shut it down and hide it under your bed. TV?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Who the **** watches TV these days
    I don't believe in rewarded revision, the idea of doing like 1 hour of revision, then a 20 minute break as your incentive. Either you're gonna get carried away with your incentive, or you're gonna keep thinking about that incentive while revising.
    Powerhouse your way through your notes and textbook, attack those exercises and exam questions. Only when your brain is fried do you get your incentive. That's because the remaining energy in your brain can be wasted on some useless recreational thing, rather than wasting your fresh mind and energy on it.

If it's because you find your subjects really boring, then why the **** did you decide to study them in the first place?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    And if you really can't answer that question, then ****ing STOP learning it and do what you really want to do, or at least think about what you want to do.
    Remind yourself why you're learning, why you're doing this revision. "I want these three As (or A* you ambitious *******)." "I want to get into University of ___" or "I actually really like learning about this subject".

Also, perhaps its the way you're revising.. If your revision consists of staring at the textbook and nodding your head, you're not going to learn. You're just reading the worlds most boring novel.
    Make notes that you understand. Don't transcribe the textbook and copy it word for word. Instead read it, reread it, put in a form you understand and then write it down. Visuals and diagrams also help
    Spoiler:
    Show
    What I do is read a paragraph twice. Then I put only the very very basic points and words into a Memo on my phone. Then at the end of the chapter, I'll make the notes by using only what I typed on my phone. Because the Memo only consists of basic points, I'm forcing myself to remember the actual content.
    Finally, you're just gonna have to muster up the motivation to do it yourself. I've stuck a piece of paper with three grades on my wall to remind myself that that's what I'm predicted and I want to achieve that. You're gonna have to realise that this is damn important, so face facts and ****ing get to grips with it.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    "Never aspire to the average or the mediocre, let the greatness inside of you take over"

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.