Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How much has cost of accommodation influenced your decision to which university? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have an offer from St Andrews for languages, and I have got the best combination of languages there. But the price of accommodation seems ridiculously high compared to my other potential places.

So I'm wondering, how much has the cost affected whether you go to your desired place(s)?

ReputationRep:
    For me, it's been a massive factor. That said, I'm a family of 4 so the cost of accommodation immediately ruled out a London uni.

It's all part of the investment, though. If the books balance out, it's worth while.

SS

ReputationRep:
    The Accomodation at my uni is really cheap compared to most places so that deffo helped in my choice knowing i could be on the minimum loan and still afford it
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    The relative availability and cost of accommodation in Oxford was probably the main reason why I chose it over Imperial.

ReputationRep:
    Didn't really influence my decision at all, I just made sure my loan could cover it

ReputationRep:
    Other than the insane cost of living in London, it didn't affect me. The cost of accommodation is a minor consideration for me when it comes to my others, so didn't really look into it that much when I was deciding.

ReputationRep:
    Didn't massively influence my decision. Although the Uni always comes high in those WhatUni best accommodation and best value things, ngl I looked just to see what to expect in terms of value and experience
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    My university city had very cheap accommodation and living costs so it had an impact on my decision

ReputationRep:
    Stuck between Leicester and Newcastle... Both are really good unis, amazing atmosphere (I.e party life) but accommodation is probably a thing. Is it cheaper to stay in Leicester as it's far away from home, but the travel would be less than Newcastle because I live in Kent or should I take up Newcastle because accommodation is generally cheaper than most places in the UK

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.