How much has cost of accommodation influenced your decision to which university? Watch

Rorschach II
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I have an offer from St Andrews for languages, and I have got the best combination of languages there. But the price of accommodation seems ridiculously high compared to my other potential places.

So I'm wondering, how much has the cost affected whether you go to your desired place(s)?
user73867
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
For me, it's been a massive factor. That said, I'm a family of 4 so the cost of accommodation immediately ruled out a London uni.

It's all part of the investment, though. If the books balance out, it's worth while.

SS
Jackieox
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The Accomodation at my uni is really cheap compared to most places so that deffo helped in my choice knowing i could be on the minimum loan and still afford it
Plagioclase
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The relative availability and cost of accommodation in Oxford was probably the main reason why I chose it over Imperial.
EmilyPlatypus
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Didn't really influence my decision at all, I just made sure my loan could cover it
Alexion
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Other than the insane cost of living in London, it didn't affect me. The cost of accommodation is a minor consideration for me when it comes to my others, so didn't really look into it that much when I was deciding.
somemightsay888
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Didn't massively influence my decision. Although the Uni always comes high in those WhatUni best accommodation and best value things, ngl I looked just to see what to expect in terms of value and experience
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
My university city had very cheap accommodation and living costs so it had an impact on my decision
Dnkz7
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Stuck between Leicester and Newcastle... Both are really good unis, amazing atmosphere (I.e party life) but accommodation is probably a thing. Is it cheaper to stay in Leicester as it's far away from home, but the travel would be less than Newcastle because I live in Kent or should I take up Newcastle because accommodation is generally cheaper than most places in the UK
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (131)
18.3%
It's just nice to be back! (194)
27.09%
Not great so far... (257)
35.89%
I want to drop out! (134)
18.72%

Watched Threads