The Student Room Group

bsc medical ultrasound or bsc diagnostic radiography?

http://www.bcu.ac.uk/courses/medical-ultrasound-bsc
http://www.bcu.ac.uk/courses/diagnostic-radiography

Just found the undergraduate degree in medical ultrasound, only seems to be offered by BCU. Other universities offer it as a post-graduate option. I wanted to be a sonographer anyway. Should I apply to this? Normally people study for an undergraduate in Diagnostic Radiography and then masters in ultrasound.Medical ultrasound bsc is not nhs funded but diagnostic radiography currently is.Hmm.:undefined:nutcase/s]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If you have absolutely no interest in other areas of radiography, then go for it. Taking the radiography route will give you options in case you change your mind; jumping straight into sonography means a sonographer you will be.

Unless things change, the NHS funding consideration is irrelevant now. If you're applying for Sept 2017 intake you'll have to pay the course fees for radiography. Starting salary for a sonographer is significantly higher than a basic grade radiographer and opportunities to earn more come thick and fast as well.

I actually wasn't aware there was a direct access BSc route into sonography. It's quite a lot of responsibility when you consider you'll be reporting your own scans. I would imagine it would be an easier transition to go in from a radiography background, but if it means you're equally qualified at the end of it, then I guess it doesn't really matter.
what professional qualification odes the sonography course lead to , as all the sonographers i've met have been either radiographers or Midwives by primary registration
Reply 3
Original post by FXX
If you have absolutely no interest in other areas of radiography, then go for it. Taking the radiography route will give you options in case you change your mind; jumping straight into sonography means a sonographer you will be.

Unless things change, the NHS funding consideration is irrelevant now. If you're applying for Sept 2017 intake you'll have to pay the course fees for radiography. Starting salary for a sonographer is significantly higher than a basic grade radiographer and opportunities to earn more come thick and fast as well.

I actually wasn't aware there was a direct access BSc route into sonography. It's quite a lot of responsibility when you consider you'll be reporting your own scans. I would imagine it would be an easier transition to go in from a radiography background, but if it means you're equally qualified at the end of it, then I guess it doesn't really matter.

I heard the funding stopped in England, but was not aware that it stopped in Wales yet?
Reply 4
Original post by zippyRN
what professional qualification odes the sonography course lead to , as all the sonographers i've met have been either radiographers or Midwives by primary registration

you become a registered sonographer
Reply 5
Original post by KyleH123
I heard the funding stopped in England, but was not aware that it stopped in Wales yet?

Birmingham is in England?
Reply 6

To be accurate, you are a registered radiographer, practicing in ultrasound. Sonographer isn't a protected title.
Reply 7
Original post by FXX
Birmingham is in England?

yea but I thought I get funding as I'm welsh.
Reply 8
yea but I thought I get funding as I'm welsh.

I wouldn't hold your breath on that. I would assume the funding would only apply if you went to a Welsh university, training at Welsh placement sites.
Reply 9
Original post by FXX
I wouldn't hold your breath on that. I would assume the funding would only apply if you went to a Welsh university, training at Welsh placement sites.

I'll ring the nhs up tomorrow and find out I spose'.
Reply 10
I'll ring the nhs up tomorrow and find out I spose'.

Let us know what the answer is. Would be interesting to be a funded student sitting amongst a load of others who have had to fund themselves, or vice versa if moving to Wales to study.

I just assume it would be like when tuition fees were introduced. Everyone wanted to study in Scotland so they didn't have to pay them.
Reply 11
Original post by FXX
Let us know what the answer is. Would be interesting to be a funded student sitting amongst a load of others who have had to fund themselves, or vice versa if moving to Wales to study.

I just assume it would be like when tuition fees were introduced. Everyone wanted to study in Scotland so they didn't have to pay them.

To qualify for NHS financial support, you must be accepted for an NHS funded place on a full or part-time course which leads to professional registration as a:

chiropodist (including podiatrist), dietitian, occupational therapist, physiotherapist, radiographer, healthcare scientist, paramedic, speech and language therapist

dental hygienist or dental therapist

nurse or midwife

doctor or dentist (you will be eligible for an NHS Bursary during the later stages of your pre-registration training)

http://www.wales.nhs.uk/nhswalesaboutus/workingfornhswales/nhsbursaryschemes
Reply 12
But I'll still be contacting them tomorrow in case the site is outdated.
Reply 13
Original post by FXX

So I just phoned Studentfinance wales and they told me even if you're welsh and study in England you get finance help from nhs england. So all that matters is where you study, so if I get a place in Cardiff/bangor I may have it funded, but the lady I spoke to on the phone said, for BCU at least, only the part time Diagnostic radiography course is funded.. Strange. She also checked UWE and they had no NHS funding available for it.
Reply 14
So I might as well try and get a place on Medical Ultrasound BSc

with whom as what ?

as the voluntary register has no actual force and if a job decription requires HCPC substantive registration or NMC registration you will not be able to undertake that role.
Original post by FXX
To be accurate, you are a registered radiographer, practicing in ultrasound. Sonographer isn't a protected title.

That degree does not provide registration as a Radiographer ...

There is a voluntary register but as the majority of existign Sonographers are HCPC or NMC registrants it won;t be the same as the last of the old 'voluntary registers' where membership of that register has meaning

in fact the CoR states the voluntary register for sonographers provides no scope or practiice nor assurance of competence ...
Reply 17
Original post by zippyRN
with whom as what ?

as the voluntary register has no actual force and if a job decription requires HCPC substantive registration or NMC registration you will not be able to undertake that role.

You will be allocated clinical placements to ensure that you can learn to undertake the range of ultrasound examinations required of a qualified Sonographer.

I just assumed registration wouldnt be an issue, but I saw a post on the Diagnostic radiography post and they said its the first year BMU offers this so I don't wanna be a guinea pig.
You will be allocated clinical placements to ensure that you can learn to undertake the range of ultrasound examinations required of a qualified Sonographer.

I just assumed registration wouldnt be an issue, but I saw a post on the Diagnostic radiography post and they said its the first year BMU offers this so I don't wanna be a guinea pig.

knowing people who were on experimental and prototyper degrees for other professions which have subsequently become HCPC professions i would suggest you are probably right to avoid this course at present.
Reply 19
Original post by zippyRN
That degree does not provide registration as a Radiographer ...

There is a voluntary register but as the majority of existign Sonographers are HCPC or NMC registrants it won;t be the same as the last of the old 'voluntary registers' where membership of that register has meaning

in fact the CoR states the voluntary register for sonographers provides no scope or practiice nor assurance of competence ...

You're right. Total blank moment. We have a couple of people training in ultrasound but they're planning on staying registered, so that's the path they're taking. Sonography in itself is relatively unregulated.

Quick Reply

Latest