Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I've narrowed my choices down to two now and I'm really stuck on which one to pick. I really liked the look of Gloucestershire University, the course seemed very good and the student work was very impressive, same for Sheffield Hallam.

Picking the course at Gloucestershire has more variety in the course whereas Sheffield Hallam is more focused on art - I have no real preference over either, though financially I'd be saving quite a bit more by studying at Sheffield.

Any thoughts would be really helpful!

ReputationRep:
    Go for the cheaper one then if you dont have any preferences, what other unis did you have?

ReputationRep:
    I had Abertay, Portsmouth and Leeds down but I didn't like the look of those, I'm leaning more towards Sheffield since it's accredited but I'm so stuck!

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...kname=scotland

Just gonna mention this now that half~ of Abertay are games students with courses in programming, art and design meaning theres a lot of room for networking and working with other people actually making games whilst in uni

Don't think you'll get that at other universities, or at least not as focused on games anyways

ReputationRep:
    Hmm I saw about that - though I wasn't too bothered when I went to visit, not to mention Sheffield seems to have all of that too
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Isnt Gloucester quite small whereas Sheffield has a lot more going on? If you arent sure then visit again. Its a decision worth tens of thousands of pounds, so get it right. Think about what you wat to do in the future then make some contacts doing the job you want to canvas their views.

ReputationRep:
    I've visited both - It definitely seems Sheffield is more suited for what I'd ideally like to do, it's just a tough decision. Sheffield has the PS Labs and it's own in-house game studio, but Gloucestershire covered a wider area with its course topics.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by DatSheffy)
    I've visited both - It definitely seems Sheffield is more suited for what I'd ideally like to do, it's just a tough decision. Sheffield has the PS Labs and it's own in-house game studio, but Gloucestershire covered a wider area with its course topics.
    Go back and talk to Sheffield about your concerns. Imagine being in either location for 3 years as being at uni is about more than your course.

ReputationRep:
    Well it seems your mind is set so I wont try and change it

Its definitely worth considering whats there beyond the course like tigger said, hows the industry there, how varied is your peers and how many of them is there in the first place, etc

-

Its my firm belief that Game Designers need to have either some art or programming skill to make themselves worthwhile in the real world, so if you are leaning towards the arts side then go to Sheffield

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Go back and talk to Sheffield about your concerns. Imagine being in either location for 3 years as being at uni is about more than your course.
    Oh definitely, I'll be e-mailing the tutors there checking up on the course

(Original post by jay10101)
    Well it seems your mind is set so I wont try and change it

Its definitely worth considering whats there beyond the course like tigger said, hows the industry there, how varied is your peers and how many of them is there in the first place, etc

-

Its my firm belief that Game Designers need to have either some art or programming skill to make themselves worthwhile in the real world, so if you are leaning towards the arts side then go to Sheffield
    I really appreciate the feedback! You're completely right, and it does seem maybe Sheffield might be the better suited course for once I finish, both are promising though so it's hard to say.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Wjhy not email games firms youd like to join and see if they have any preference?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by DatSheffy)
    Oh definitely, I'll be e-mailing the tutors there checking up on the course

I really appreciate the feedback! You're completely right, and it does seem maybe Sheffield might be the better suited course for once I finish, both are promising though so it's hard to say.

Hi DatSheffy,

As you may know, we have the largest PlayStation teaching facility in the world. Our PlayStation lab has over 50 professional PlayStation development kits where you gain professional development skills. We are accredited by the BKSTS (British Kinematograph, Sound and Television Society) and have fantastic partnerships with a long list of games companies which you can work with on your placement year.

We thought you might be interested in seeing some of the work our students have created during their studies with us and a profile from one of our fab students, Wesley Arthur on why he chose to study with SHU and the benefits he's got from studying with us. (Find them at the bottom of the course page here).

Sheffield is a great student city too. We have 60,000 students here and everything is aimed towards you, from the restaurants, cafes and bars to the cinemas, shops and other social spaces. There's lots of opportunity to get more involved in the gaming community through societies and community events. Sheffield is big on supporting creative people and we have twice as many creatives in the city than in London!

We've also got over 200 parks and green spaces, so when you need a break from the screen, there's plenty of options to relax and get some fresh air, or even take part in some sport.

One of the best things about Sheffield is that everything is in walking distance, so you can walk out of your accommodation and be at your lecture, a super market or park in minutes.

It seems like you're pretty on it with researching the course and our university, but if you do need any further advice, just ask

Thanks,
    Laura
    (Official Hallam rep)

ReputationRep:
    I had a huge decision to make between Sheffield Hallam University and Staffordshire University for Games Design.
    Staffordshire University does boast a huge range of courses and have some fantastic lecturers and links to the industry. However, something I have learnt from going to see both of them is that course content is not everything. Yes, it is important, but it not EVERYTHING.

In my opinion, in a subject like Games design where creativity is key and so are a range of other skills, it is more about the environment, lifestyle and personal drive that gets you there in the end.
    I swayed towards Staffordshire because it is, by a larger margin, the better course in the UK. (from what I have seen) however, upon arriving at the campus it was... dull? (i don't know if that is exactly the right wording)
    It was a bright and warm day which made the campus look great but something about the atmosphere didn't sit right with me. Everyone I met (students on the dat and some staff) seemed a little subdued, strange, I don't think they meant to be or anything. It just didn't sit right for me.

When I went to Sheffield Hallam the place was buzzing. It was alive and fresh and the students who were nothing to do with the open day spent time helping me, talking me through things and guiding me to places around the campus. (they weren't event student reps, just nice and happy people!) To me, this spoke 1000 words. I came away with a Buzz. and this is when I came to the realisation that the Journey to your end goal matters just as much as the end goal itself.

I have personally chosen Sheffield Hallam as my choice and was given an unconditional offer after I submitted my portfolio. If you want to have a chat then just message me.

Thanks!
    - Joe

ReputationRep:
    Does Sheffield Hallam's game design course involves life drawing and technical drawing skill?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by BeckyMay96)
    Does Sheffield Hallam's game design course involves life drawing and technical drawing skill?
    I believe it does BeckyMay96.

On the course website, it says:

"There are two distinct types of careers in games development – the technical programming side, and the creative art and design side. This course prepares you for the creative type of career, giving you all the skills you need to work as a creative in games, graphics or multimedia industries"

So art and creativity will be at the forefront of your development on this course. Of course, much of this will be digital animation and 3D design, (see the full list of modules on the site), but theory and technical drawing will be important to this too.

Hope this helped,

Ellie

ReputationRep:
    Not sure if this helps you or if you have already chosen or not but I'm a first year games design student at SHU This year we had two modules which were art orientated, one was traditional sketching and life drawing, the other digital sketching and painting. There was a 3D modelling module where we learned how to use 3DS max and create a scene with assets and texturing them. We also had a intergrated project where the game design course members had to form groups with computer science for games students and worked together to make a game.The other two modules were game theory and game world mechanics which teach basic game knowledge and system mechanics. SHU as a uni is really friendly, the library is open 24/7 and there is access to high tech computers all over campus for if you don't have a computer that can run some of the intense programs. graphic tablets are also everywhere.

The teaching staff are really chill and super nice. They'll ease you in gradually to the course and make you feel welcome. The classes we were in this year were really small - around 20 people? (Although half of the lazy bums don't show up most of the time) so it's more like 10-15 or sometime as small as 6 or 7 The nightlife in sheffield is pretty good & so is the general atmosphere of the city.

Also pro tip: helps if you do have some knowledge about 3d modelling as the 3d module was really intense for me - a steep steep learning curve as I knew nothing before hand and struggled a lot. But I managed!

If you wanna know more/ask questions about the course or the uni or anything send me a message

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 28, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.