Turn on thread page Beta

My journey from unfunctional bodybuilder to athlete watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey TSR!

Having been pretty unmotivated lately in regards to lifting I've decided to create a blog. First of all, a bit about me, Ive been training around 2.5years properly in which Ive put alot of focus on gaining size. When i first started I weighed a measly 60kg (135lbs) and now I weigh 90kg (200lbs) at a height of 5'10 and age of 20years old. Ill be first to admit that these results have not been completely unassisted!

I like to train five days per week Mon-Fri and my current split that I will be running is:
    Monday; Legs and Abs
    Tuesday;Push
    Wednesday; Pull
    Thursday; Legs and Abs
    Friday; Chest and Back
    Saturday; Rest if i'm working or I may hit shoulders and arms
    Sunday; Rest

My main goal is to cut down, basically get shredded but also increasing my functional skills as I intend to start playing rugby league.

My macros will begin at:
    Carbs: 250g
    Protein: 200g
    Fat: 50g
    Total Calories: 2250 (may vary)

If you have got any questions feel free to ask!
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    How do you mean assisted?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    What do you think? Im not going to go into depth with what I've used, but i'm not going to lie over the internet☺

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by TomFitness)
    What do you think? Im not going to go into depth with what I've used, but i'm not going to lie over the internet☺

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Just making sure we're on the same page

ReputationRep:
    Just making sure we're on the same page
    Its fine haha I wouldnt say I regret what I done/used but I personally dont feel the need to do it anymore!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Cucumber STAP. I think you knew fine well what he meant son...

Its fine haha I wouldnt say I regret what I done/used but I personally dont feel the need to do it anymore!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Won't you see a fair reduction in size given you are now clean?
    What bf% are you (roughly) at?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unistudent77)

Weirdly no, if you come off it properly and maintain a decent diet you shouldnt notice too much weightloss. The main problem I had was the amount of water I retained whilst on it. Im guessing around 15% I've always stuggled to lose bodyfat compared to gaining muscle (got that mesomorph bodytype if you believe in that). I intend to post some pics on the thread in the near future!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Weirdly no, if you come off it properly and maintain a decent diet you shouldnt notice too much weightloss. The main problem I had was the amount of water I retained whilst on it. Im guessing around 15% I've always stuggled to lose bodyfat compared to gaining muscle (got that mesomorph bodytype if you believe in that). I intend to post some pics on the thread in the near future!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Fair enough

Can you see vague abs? 15% is sort of the cut off point (roughly speaking)

Good luck bro!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer

I wasn't actually messing, I was making sure assistance was tropicana

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Substantially reduce you protein and increase your carbonhydrate intake, that's ridiculous
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by GeologyMaths)
    Substantially reduce you protein and increase your carbonhydrate intake, that's ridiculous
    Looks fine to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    Looks fine to me.
    Clearly you don't know much about nutrition as far as bodybuilding is concerned.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough

Can you see vague abs? 15% is sort of the cut off point (roughly speaking)

Good luck bro!
    No.

For certain people, at 20%, abs can be visible. For other even sub 10%, they struggle with abs visibility. It's solely genetical
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    1g per 1lb of bodyweight is high but not 'ridiculous' imo.

Clearly you don't know much about nutrition as far as bodybuilding is concerned.

LOL

ReputationRep:
    1g per 1lb of bodyweight is high but not 'ridiculous' imo.

LOL
    1g/1lbs is very ridiculous. Many scientific literatures demonstrate this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    Looks fine to me.
    Bro, Geo is a nutritionist......
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Hey TSR!

Having been pretty unmotivated lately in regards to lifting I've decided to create a blog. First of all, a bit about me, Ive been training around 2.5years properly in which Ive put alot of focus on gaining size. When i first started I weighed a measly 60kg (135lbs) and now I weigh 90kg (200lbs) at a height of 5'10 and age of 20years old. Ill be first to admit that these results have not been completely unassisted!

I like to train five days per week Mon-Fri and my current split that I will be running is:
    Monday; Legs and Abs
    Tuesday;Push
    Wednesday; Pull
    Thursday; Legs and Abs
    Friday; Chest and Back
    Saturday; Rest if i'm working or I may hit shoulders and arms
    Sunday; Rest

My main goal is to cut down, basically get shredded but also increasing my functional skills as I intend to start playing rugby league.

My macros will begin at:
    Carbs: 250g
    Protein: 200g
    Fat: 50g
    Total Calories: 2250 (may vary)

If you have got any questions feel free to ask!
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    What motivated you to start this fitness regime?

To be honest, i've been wanting to start going to the gym and get into fitness, but the only motivation I have is to run to the fridge and back when i'm hungry, or when I'm feeling adventurous a cheeky squat to see what's on the bottom shelf!!!
    Seriously though, I reckon reading your Blog might just help me!! So thanks for starting it- Very inspiring!!

What helped you and would you be kind enough to help me out too?!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    No.

For certain people, at 20%, abs can be visible. For other even sub 10%, they struggle with abs visibility. It's solely genetical
    I said ROUGHLY SPEAKING. Obviously (how long you have been ie muscle mass) training and genetics play the biggest roles in determining that but as a rule of thumb I stand by 14-16/17% being where you lose sight of abs. Almost everyone who lifts (for more than 6 months) would have some kind of abs at 10%

1g/1lbs is very ridiculous. Many scientific literatures demonstrate this.
    The FAQ says 0.6g per lb is enough, rising to 0.8 for elite athletes. Hardly miles above and frankly it won't do any harm

(Original post by AbMazingX)
    Bro, Geo is a nutritionist......
    oh yea....... forgot about that
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Oh boy, here we go again :rofl:

With an FFMI of almost 23, clearly I know nothing :rofl: When I'm cutting I'd sooner load up on protein to ensure I have an adequate supply to protect my muscle mass than I would replace it with carbs. Weekly refeeds do the job of replenishing glycogen and it's not as if 250g is very low.

Seems a bit rich you telling someone they know nothing when you seem to change your mind probably based on the last article you read on the internet in an effort to maintain your self-supplied nutritionist title. First time I debated with you, you were telling people that they must go low carb, then the next completely changed your tune.

ReputationRep:
    I said ROUGHLY SPEAKING. Obviously (how long you have been ie muscle mass) training and genetics play the biggest roles in determining that but as a rule of thumb I stand by 14-16/17% being where you lose sight of abs. Almost everyone who lifts (for more than 6 months) would have some kind of abs at 10%

The FAQ says 0.6g per lb is enough, rising to 0.8 for elite athletes. Hardly miles above and frankly it won't do any harm

oh yea....... forgot about that
    .6g/lb is sufficient. My point is that unneeded 80g could be added on to carbonhydrate for imrpoved performance.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 8, 2017
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.