ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by AbMazingX)
    Bro, Geo is a "nutritionist".....
    Oh, don't we all know it :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    Oh boy, here we go again :rofl:

With an FFMI of almost 23, clearly I know nothing :rofl: When I'm cutting I'd sooner load up on protein to ensure I have an adequate supply to protect my muscle mass than I would replace it with carbs. Weekly refeeds do the job of replenishing glycogen and it's not as if 250g is very low.

Seems a bit rich you telling someone they know nothing when you seem to change your mind probably based on the last article you read on the internet in an effort to maintain your self-supplied nutritionist title. First time I debated with you, you were telling people that they must go low carb, then the next completely changed your tune.
    1. 250g of carbs a day is not necessairly low depending on how physical your day is.

2. It appears you have a lame knowledge of nutrition. You do not need more protein intake than your threshold. The biology of muscle atrophy is more complicated than you think. It's like saying you should eat x2 of your protein intake when you experience delayed muscle onset soreness. Protein is merely an animo acid macronutrient.

ReputationRep:
    Pretty sure the studies show no reason to go above ~0.8g/lb to maintain a positive nitrogen balance when cutting. I read that a while ago so it may not be exact but the idea is that 1g/lb is excessive. It's obviously not going to kill you but, unless you prefer protein-rich foods to others and find it more pleasant to cut on 1g/lb, I don't see the point in such a high protein intake.

Edit, here it is:

A perhaps even more telling study is by Pikosky et al. in 2008. The researchers took a group of endurance trained subjects and had them consume either 0.41 or 0.82 g/lb of protein per day. They also added a thousand calories worth of training on top of their regular exercise. So these guys were literally running on a 1000 calorie deficit while drastically increasing their training volume. Talk about a catabolic state… Of course the nitrogen balance in the low protein group plummeted. However, the protein intake of 0.82 g/lb in the other group completely protected the subjects from muscle loss. Nitrogen balance, whole-body protein turnover and protein synthesis remained unchanged.
    Source: http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/the-...-bodybuilders/

It says in the same article that a study showed that 0.73g/lb was enough to maintain lean bodymass.

Oh, don't we all know it :rofl:
    How big is your arm cold + flexed?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by GeologyMaths)
    1. 250g of carbs a day is not necessairly low depending on how physical your day is.

2. It appears you have a lame knowledge of nutrition. You do not need more protein intake than your threshold. The biology of muscle atrophy is more complicated than you think. It's like saying you should eat x2 of your protein intake when you experience delayed muscle onset soreness. Protein is merely an animo acid macronutrient.
    1. Exactly what I was saying. So why increase rhe carbs, then?

2. Self proclaimed nutritionist claimd that protein is an amino acid :rofl: Protein CONTAINS amino acidS, and consumed proteins are broken down to leave usable aminos. I know 1g/lb is probably overkill and studies suggest that 0.7-0.8g/lb is likely as much as is needed, so .2 over that is hardly ridiculous.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by dairychocolate)
    How big is your arm cold + flexed?

17" mate.

ReputationRep:
    17" mate.
    Cool.

Do you remember what you started at and how long it took you to add the first 2/3 inches?

Sorry about the inquisition, I'm just gauging roughly how long it'll take me to reach 16s.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by CleverSquirrel)
    What motivated you to start this fitness regime?

To be honest, i've been wanting to start going to the gym and get into fitness, but the only motivation I have is to run to the fridge and back when i'm hungry, or when I'm feeling adventurous a cheeky squat to see what's on the bottom shelf!!!
    Seriously though, I reckon reading your Blog might just help me!! So thanks for starting it- Very inspiring!!

What helped you and would you be kind enough to help me out too?!
    Create a thread on the fitness section with your queries and I'm sure we'd all try and help you (I'm in the middle of an essay but I'm sure others would comment too) out
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Cool.

Do you remember what you started at and how long it took you to add the first 2/3 inches?

Sorry about the inquisition, I'm just gauging roughly how long it'll take me to reach 16s.
    I went from 11" up to 13-14" in the first few months, obviously we all have a muscle group in which the newb gains are really something and arms was clearly mine :lol: The other few inches took more than a couple years to gain.

Hard to gauge how long it'll take for you, genetics, efficiency of duet/training and consistency will always be deciding factors of course.

ReputationRep:
    I went from 11" up to 13-14" in the first few months, obviously we all have a muscle group in which the newb gains are really something and arms was clearly mine :lol: The other few inches took more than a couple years to gain.

Hard to gauge how long it'll take for you, genetics, efficiency of duet/training and consistency will always be deciding factors of course.
    11" to 17"? There is truly hope for us all.

Yep, you're right about subjectivity. I hit 14" before my injury and I should be able to regain that quite quickly but I reckon I need 16s to look big since my arms are long. Gotta envy manlets who can look big with 14" guns.

Good luck with getting 18s.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    11" to 17"? There is truly hope for us all.

Yep, you're right about subjectivity. I hit 14" before my injury and I should be able to regain that quite quickly but I reckon I need 16s to look big since my arms are long. Gotta envy manlets who can look big with 14" guns.

Good luck with getting 18s.
    How tall are you bro?

5.9'.5" Manlet checking in haha. My 12.5" weapons of destruction don't actually look 'that' small given I'm not lanky. Up 2" in just short of a year, can't imagine having 15+ inch arms.... One day
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    The only argument for eating maybe 30g-50g of protein less than what you do atm is money. Those extra few grams won't be doing you much and if money is tight then - carbs are cheap. Otherwise, do what you wanna do

My arms are 21'' cause this is the internet

(Original post by Unistudent77)
    How tall are you bro?

5.9'.5" Manlet checking in haha. My 12.5" weapons of destruction don't actually look 'that' small given I'm not lanky. Up 2" in just short of a year, can't imagine having 15+ inch arms.... One day
    You're not a manlet

ReputationRep:
    How tall are you bro?

Lol. If you're a proper 5'9.5" at night, you're not a manlet.

I'm 5'10"+ a bit.

Nah, 12.5 isn't small compared to the average uni student and 2 inches in a year is great progress. When I say I want 16" to look big, it's largely due to my frame and my long arms. Otherwise, a lean guy with 14 inches is probably going to look joocy. It's so dependent on muscle insertions etc, though, that it's worthless just talking about arm size without context.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    The only argument for eating maybe 30g-50g of protein less than what you do atm is money. Those extra few grams won't be doing you much and if money is tight then - carbs are cheap. Otherwise, do what you wanna do

My arms are 21'' cause this is the internet

You're not a manlet
    I laughed at your comment hahaha.

and... well I thought manlet was under 6'0.

but yeah, in real life I'm not small. Now that I'm average build helps as opposed to a twig
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Lol. If you're a proper 5'9.5" at night, you're not a manlet.

I'm 5'10"+ a bit.

Nah, 12.5 isn't small compared to the average uni student and 2 inches in a year is great progress. When I say I want 16" to look big, it's largely due to my frame and my long arms. Otherwise, a lean guy with 14 inches is probably going to look joocy. It's so dependent on muscle insertions etc, though, that it's worthless just talking about arm size without context.
    Cheers bro. Yeah, that's legit. I say I'm 5'10 and never get called out on it. Once I chuck on shoes and my hair isn't long but standard length so adds an inch say then I'm not too bad.
    My bestfriends gf is (was) 5'9 and we went back to back and now she reluctantly calls herself 5'8 haha.

I have loads of room for growth at only being 70kg so i'll make it haha. Yeah, I get you mate.
    By contrast, I have a stereotypically 'lean' build, moderately wide shoulders but apart from that my wrists, elbows etc are all small. Tbh, I like it. I have the makings of a decent physique but I'm probs 5 years away from what I want haha (he says nonchalantly)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CleverSquirrel)
    What motivated you to start this fitness regime?

To be honest, i've been wanting to start going to the gym and get into fitness, but the only motivation I have is to run to the fridge and back when i'm hungry, or when I'm feeling adventurous a cheeky squat to see what's on the bottom shelf!!!
    Seriously though, I reckon reading your Blog might just help me!! So thanks for starting it- Very inspiring!!

What helped you and would you be kind enough to help me out too?!
    Hey man! Throughout school I was always into sports and done well at what I competed in. However, I was never the best and always seemed to settle for second best. I'm mainly doing this to see how far I can push my body (obviously a career in the fitness industry would be great but its not my current goal). As cringey as it sounds, but the fact that I wasnt were I wanted to be in life was all the motivation I needed. There was never an exact reason as to why I started other than being vain and completely insecure about myself (may aswell be honest haha).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GeologyMaths)
    Substantially reduce you protein and increase your carbonhydrate intake, that's ridiculous
    Hey, just read your posts. Have you got links to any studies (not that i'm doubting you just interested). Also what level of fat intake would you recommend?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So I just got back from the gym amd hit legs. My legs are by far my biggest weakness, I'm not even going to ******** and say I've struggled with injuries etc I've just completely neglected them and now have to play catch up with my upper body.

I decided to completely deload all my lifts and completed the following:
    Squat 100kg 5x5 (my 1RM is 135kg for whoever is interested, yes i know its awful😅)
    Leg Press 3 Dropsets going to failure with 180kg, 160kg and 140kg. My gym has possibly the worst leg press in the country. Its not plate loaded, pretty similar to PureGyms leg press but the seat moves and the "board" where you place your feet remains stationary.
    Moved onto some Leg Curls and Extensions just repping them out to failure for 4-5 sets and finished with calves. My calves are non-existent to say the least😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Cheers bro. Yeah, that's legit. I say I'm 5'10 and never get called out on it. Once I chuck on shoes and my hair isn't long but standard length so adds an inch say then I'm not too bad.
    My bestfriends gf is (was) 5'9 and we went back to back and now she reluctantly calls herself 5'8 haha.

I have loads of room for growth at only being 70kg so i'll make it haha. Yeah, I get you mate.
    By contrast, I have a stereotypically 'lean' build, moderately wide shoulders but apart from that my wrists, elbows etc are all small. Tbh, I like it. I have the makings of a decent physique but I'm probs 5 years away from what I want haha (he says nonchalantly)
    Yeah, realistically no-one is going to care about half an inch and you can sound like a bit of a bell if you go into that much detail. + Yeah girls fraud a lot, lol.

Nah mate, I've got a lean build, too, exactly like yours. It's just that I'm a bit taller than you, my arms are just long af and my muscle insertions are high so I'm shooting for the 16s.

I agree with you on having the markings of a decent build. I feel bad for guys with blocky waists and narrow shoulders, haha.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Yeah, realistically no-one is going to care about half an inch and you can sound like a bit of a bell if you go into that much detail. + Yeah girls fraud a lot, lol.

Nah mate, I've got a lean build, too, exactly like yours. It's just that I'm a bit taller than you, my arms are just long af and my muscle insertions are high so I'm shooting for the 16s.

I agree with you on having the markings of a decent build. I feel bad for guys with blocky waists and narrow shoulders, haha.
    True and yeah they do. So do a LOT of guys though. A friend of mine was like 'yeah, I'm 5'8 man' and well all looked at each other like 'naaaaaaah, you ain't'. He is 5'6 ish, 5'7 MAX, no chance is he 5'8. He is pretty small.
    Fair enough bro, well I'm aiming as big as I can naturally get...

Yep, they look so 'blocky' and square. I don't like it. Much prefer the pizza slice look haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomFitness)
    Hey man! Throughout school I was always into sports and done well at what I competed in. However, I was never the best and always seemed to settle for second best. I'm mainly doing this to see how far I can push my body (obviously a career in the fitness industry would be great but its not my current goal). As cringey as it sounds, but the fact that I wasnt were I wanted to be in life was all the motivation I needed. There was never an exact reason as to why I started other than being vain and completely insecure about myself (may aswell be honest haha).

Posted from TSR Mobile
    hey!!! ermm i'm a girl haha anyway ThankYou for replying , yeah I see where your coming from!!! And definitely not cringy!!
    You're quite inspiring though, so thank you once again, and I’ll bereading your Blog!!!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 8, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.