Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My journey from unfunctional bodybuilder to athlete Watch

• TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by TomFitness)
    Hey man! Throughout school I was always into sports and done well at what I competed in. However, I was never the best and always seemed to settle for second best. I'm mainly doing this to see how far I can push my body (obviously a career in the fitness industry would be great but its not my current goal). As cringey as it sounds, but the fact that I wasnt were I wanted to be in life was all the motivation I needed. There was never an exact reason as to why I started other than being vain and completely insecure about myself (may aswell be honest haha).

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think everyone is a bit vain. Well I'm 'vain' through insecurity like yourself, I personally see that as far less 'bad' than being vain due to thinking you are so great...

Hey, just read your posts. Have you got links to any studies (not that i'm doubting you just interested). Also what level of fat intake would you recommend?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Read back mate. Listen to Angry Cucumber, Woody etc (and some of the others on here), they have answered the carb/protein thing. Don't change it basically

So I just got back from the gym amd hit legs. My legs are by far my biggest weakness, I'm not even going to ******** and say I've struggled with injuries etc I've just completely neglected them and now have to play catch up with my upper body.

I decided to completely deload all my lifts and completed the following:
    Squat 100kg 5x5 (my 1RM is 135kg for whoever is interested, yes i know its awful😅)
    Leg Press 3 Dropsets going to failure with 180kg, 160kg and 140kg. My gym has possibly the worst leg press in the country. Its not plate loaded, pretty similar to PureGyms leg press but the seat moves and the "board" where you place your feet remains stationary.
    Moved onto some Leg Curls and Extensions just repping them out to failure for 4-5 sets and finished with calves. My calves are non-existent to say the least😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That Leg Press is fairly light tbh considering I can do those weights easily but can't squat anything like what you are...

Deadlift bro. I'm doing that on the advice of Cucumber. Deadlifting will sort your legs out, chuck in a calf isolation exercise and leg extensions, squat and you're good I think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unistudent77)
    I think everyone is a bit vain. Well I'm 'vain' through insecurity like yourself, I personally see that as far less 'bad' than being vain due to thinking you are so great...

Read back mate. Listen to Angry Cucumber, Woody etc (and some of the others on here), they have answered the carb/protein thing. Don't change it basically

That Leg Press is fairly light tbh considering I can do those weights easily but can't squat anything like what you are...

Deadlift bro. I'm doing that on the advice of Cucumber. Deadlifting will sort your legs out, chuck in a calf isolation exercise and leg extensions, squat and you're good I think
    You are unbelievably dumb

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dairychocolate)
    11" to 17"? There is truly hope for us all.

Yep, you're right about subjectivity. I hit 14" before my injury and I should be able to regain that quite quickly but I reckon I need 16s to look big since my arms are long. Gotta envy manlets who can look big with 14" guns.

Good luck with getting 18s.
    Yeah, once you've had the muscle there before it's much easier to gain again. People call it muscle memory but technically it's due to the creation of new satellite cells and nucleus.
    Yup, I'm 6'2'' so I know the feeling :lol: My arms did start to lookbig at 14'' though, mainly cause I have a good "horseshoe" on my triceps

I think I'm pretty much stuck on 17 until I hop on the Vitamin S tbh :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Hey, just read your posts. Have you got links to any studies (not that i'm doubting you just interested). Also what level of fat intake would you recommend?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Whilst there are many mechanistic data analytical evidence, here is one: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/1474076/
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by GeologyMaths)
    You are unbelievably dumb
    Expand plez.....
    (Love how you can't see the irony given recent threads)
    EDIT: Thanks for the rep. A strange one.......
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    So I just got back from the gym amd hit legs. My legs are by far my biggest weakness, I'm not even going to ******** and say I've struggled with injuries etc I've just completely neglected them and now have to play catch up with my upper body.

I decided to completely deload all my lifts and completed the following:
    Squat 100kg 5x5 (my 1RM is 135kg for whoever is interested, yes i know its awful😅)
    Leg Press 3 Dropsets going to failure with 180kg, 160kg and 140kg. My gym has possibly the worst leg press in the country. Its not plate loaded, pretty similar to PureGyms leg press but the seat moves and the "board" where you place your feet remains stationary.
    Moved onto some Leg Curls and Extensions just repping them out to failure for 4-5 sets and finished with calves. My calves are non-existent to say the least😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Your leg training in the nicest possible way.... sucks. Drop sets don't actually achieve a great deal no matter what the guys on bb .com suggest. Do your squats to depth (common problem) and tbh you're still in the noob level of squatting in terms of weight, so there's little reason why you can't progress on 3x5 or 5x5, adding 2.5kg to this per session. After that if you're doing leg press, do 3 x 8-12 and look to increase weight or reps, don't bother with the drop sets, they make you more sore and tbh it's not going to make you any real gains from them.

Calves are genetic + if youre going to train them you should try doing something like 3 x 8-12 and try to increase weight and reps each session. Deadlifts also help
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Angry cucumber;[url="tel:63420895")
    63420895[/url]]Your leg training in the nicest possible way.... sucks. Drop sets don't actually achieve a great deal no matter what the guys on bb .com suggest. Do your squats to depth (common problem) and tbh you're still in the noob level of squatting in terms of weight, so there's little reason why you can't progress on 3x5 or 5x5, adding 2.5kg to this per session. After that if you're doing leg press, do 3 x 8-12 and look to increase weight or reps, don't bother with the drop sets, they make you more sore and tbh it's not going to make you any real gains from them.

Calves are genetic + if youre going to train them you should try doing something like 3 x 8-12 and try to increase weight and reps each session. Deadlifts also help
    Why are dropsets pointless? Surely, in some circumstances such as if you only manage the same reps as last session and/or you are more intensity based and taking yourself to real failure, they have their use.....
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Why are dropsets pointless? Surely, in some circumstances such as if you only manage the same reps as last session and/or you are more intensity based and taking yourself to real failure, they have their use.....
    Whats the advantage of absolute failure?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Angry cucumber;[url="tel:63424607")
    63424607[/url]]Whats the advantage of absolute failure?
    Gains....?

I'm saying if you get the same as the previous session then a set extender of some description ie dropset or rest, pause etc then that will ensure progressive overload occurs....
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Gains....?

I'm saying if you get the same as the previous session then a set extender of some description ie dropset or rest, pause etc then that will ensure progressive overload occurs....
    Imo absolute muscle failure is just a good way to fry yourself and make you feel better than actually doing anything. Absolute failure comes out of bodybuilding and drug use and that extra failed rep isn't going to do anything other than increase your injury risk through trying to grind something out that you don't have. You can achieve metabolic fatigue just fine by not failing.

Set extenders like rest pause is legit if you're looking for max fatigue for minimum time. Dropping the weight by 20+% and cracking 10 hasty reps, I don't think actually does much other than give you a quicker pump. You're better served imo just doing another set or adding reps/ upping weight where you can, sure you mighten be able to PR every session, but most people should PR on exercises pretty damn consistently.

Realistically, find your own way, if drop sets work for you, then fine do it. If you're progressing, who cares

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    Your leg training in the nicest possible way.... sucks. Drop sets don't actually achieve a great deal no matter what the guys on bb .com suggest. Do your squats to depth (common problem) and tbh you're still in the noob level of squatting in terms of weight, so there's little reason why you can't progress on 3x5 or 5x5, adding 2.5kg to this per session. After that if you're doing leg press, do 3 x 8-12 and look to increase weight or reps, don't bother with the drop sets, they make you more sore and tbh it's not going to make you any real gains from them.

Haha thanks for being honest😅 My main goal for my legs is to build strength but also add mass (which progressive overload should achieve). Do you recommend any proven workouts for legs?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Haha thanks for being honest😅 My main goal for my legs is to build strength but also add mass (which progressive overload should achieve). Do you recommend any proven workouts for legs?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    3x5 or 5x5 add 2.5kg a session or every other session from where you are atm. Your legs will grow as long as you're eating decent and recovering well. You can do some leg extensions/ curls/ whatever afterwards, but squats 2x a week is a decent amount of leg work in itself

ReputationRep:
    So unfortunately I missed training yesterday due to work and only done my Push workout today. Tbh I was pretty disappointed I feel like I've deloaded way too much and the weight feels too light but eh, i'll roll with it for now.

Started off with BB Bench @ 80kg for 5x5 (the most I've ever benched was 115kg so I'm hoping I can get back there without external factors helping the situation.)
    Moved onto OHP with 60kg for 5x5. This is by far my favourite exercise,nothing more alpha than pressing a load of weight straight above you haha.
    Then just went onto my "bodybuilding" movements:
    Incline DB 4x12 30kg
    Lateral Raises and EZ Raises superset
    Chest Press 3x15
    Some Rear Delt movements.

Didnt even get time to hit my triceps so will prob do them tomorrow with biceps.
    As good as it feels to start getting back into regular training after 3 weeks of maybe only going 2 days a week I still feel like my progression is going to be hindered until I properly sort out my diet and start tracking again. Will hopefully post some pics in the next few days so I can get some of your opinions on my weaknesses etc😎

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    Yeah, once you've had the muscle there before it's much easier to gain again. People call it muscle memory but technically it's due to the creation of new satellite cells and nucleus.
    Yup, I'm 6'2'' so I know the feeling :lol: My arms did start to lookbig at 14'' though, mainly cause I have a good "horseshoe" on my triceps

I think I'm pretty much stuck on 17 until I hop on the Vitamin S tbh :lol:
    I have never weightliftd and I have the elbow thing can I get it removed anyway?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anfanny)
    I have never weightliftd and I have the elbow thing can I get it removed anyway?
    This thread is over a year old so you'll have to refresh me as to exactly what we're talking about here :rofl:

ReputationRep:

Imo absolute muscle failure is just a good way to fry yourself and make you feel better than actually doing anything. Absolute failure comes out of bodybuilding and drug use and that extra failed rep isn't going to do anything other than increase your injury risk through trying to grind something out that you don't have. You can achieve metabolic fatigue just fine by not failing.

Set extenders like rest pause is legit if you're looking for max fatigue for minimum time. Dropping the weight by 20+% and cracking 10 hasty reps, I don't think actually does much other than give you a quicker pump. You're better served imo just doing another set or adding reps/ upping weight where you can, sure you mighten be able to PR every session, but most people should PR on exercises pretty damn consistently.

Realistically, find your own way, if drop sets work for you, then fine do it. If you're progressing, who cares
    Wooooahhhh... this is an old thread so forgive me for the mega late reply and feel free to totally ignore me here, but it's been bumped now so yeah... but what is this blasphemy :rofl:

I attribute the majority of my gains to failure and dropsets, because that's the way I've trained over these past few years. It's more than just inducing a pump. The idea behind using them is that by hitting failure, and then dropping the weight and continuing without any significant rest, more and more fibres and motor units are recruited, thus having a hypertrophy effect. Are they superior to more conventional methods? Not really. Do they work? Absolutely!

What I like about them is that it gives you more flexibility in your training. For the most part I've been going heavy for 4-6 reps to failure on the main workset, then dropsetting it. You've got the benefits of heavy, low rep training and light weight pump training all in one set. Any set can be turned into a hypertrophy set with a dropset

I've also trained to absolute failure all this time, and as for training to failure increasing susceptibility to injury - I've never seen any proof of this or even any instances. On the contrary, a lot of injuries occur either during 1RM attempts, or in the first half of the set due to poor form and/or poor warmups. I actually believe you're less prone to injury on the last few reps of a failure set because the reps are slow and quite controlled, since you can't really "momentum" a slow-grinder and since you've been repping the weight, it's not exactly a weight you can't physically handle unlike an injury on a failed 1RM. My warmup game could be a lot better as well, in all honesty. no injuries here. In fact, I think my joints and tendons like the low volume because whenever I have a break from the heavy training and switch to higher reps and more sets, I start getting nagging pains in some of my joints.

ReputationRep:
    I

(Original post by WoodyMKC)
    This thread is over a year old so you'll have to refresh me as to exactly what we're talking about here :rofl:
    I'm just talking about bodybuilders elbow! Can I get rid of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anfanny)
    I'm just talking about bodybuilders elbow! Can I get rid of it.
    Bodybuilder's elbow is basically just bursitis of the elbow. Best to see your GP about it really.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  IMG_2057.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  259.3 KBIs this big?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 8, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.