Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My question is more related to the new A-level reforms rather than UCAS points, but would a student be at a disadvantage by sitting exams for the AS of their subjects this year and getting lower grades than students who sat internal exams instead and received higher grades? I just feel like schools may lie about the student's grade (or exaggerate slightly) if they just have class tests to go off, but someone of the same ability who performs poorly in their AS exams (due to lack of past papers, extra stress due to the fact that these are legit exams, more demanding questions) will have less of a chance. How can universities ensure that students are treated equally, regardless of the way they have been assessed?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by h8skoooooool)
    My question is more related to the new A-level reforms rather than UCAS points, but would a student be at a disadvantage by sitting exams for the AS of their subjects this year and getting lower grades than students who sat internal exams instead and received higher grades? I just feel like schools may lie about the student's grade (or exaggerate slightly) if they just have class tests to go off, but someone of the same ability who performs poorly in their AS exams (due to lack of past papers, extra stress due to the fact that these are legit exams, more demanding questions) will have less of a chance. How can universities ensure that students are treated equally, regardless of the way they have been assessed?
    I've made this into its own thread, as it didn't really fit in the other thread (sorry for the rubbish title!)

Universities will try their best to treat everyone equally, but obviously they can't magically know if a school is lying or over-predicting. They will look at other factors, such as GCSE grades, your PS, the rest of your reference, and make a decision. Universities can anticipate that new style AS exams may be harder to prepare for. The vast majority of schools/teachers will be truthful though, as lying for one student isn't worth risking their school's reputation for.

Equally, if you take AS exams and do well, you may be at an advantage over other students- for example some unis have said they will take these results into account on results day if they are deciding between two students who've missed their offers.

Given that this will be the first year that students apply using the new style A-levels, unis will do their best to be fair, but until results come out, they will only be using guesswork. This could lead to problems- that's one of the disadvantages of being part of the first year to take these exams. Have you thought about taking a gap year and applying with known grades if you're especially worried?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SlowlorisIncognito)
    I've made this into its own thread, as it didn't really fit in the other thread (sorry for the rubbish title!)

Universities will try their best to treat everyone equally, but obviously they can't magically know if a school is lying or over-predicting. They will look at other factors, such as GCSE grades, your PS, the rest of your reference, and make a decision. Universities can anticipate that new style AS exams may be harder to prepare for. The vast majority of schools/teachers will be truthful though, as lying for one student isn't worth risking their school's reputation for.

Equally, if you take AS exams and do well, you may be at an advantage over other students- for example some unis have said they will take these results into account on results day if they are deciding between two students who've missed their offers.

Given that this will be the first year that students apply using the new style A-levels, unis will do their best to be fair, but until results come out, they will only be using guesswork. This could lead to problems- that's one of the disadvantages of being part of the first year to take these exams. Have you thought about taking a gap year and applying with known grades if you're especially worried?
    Thanks for making the thread!

I'm just really worried because it's so difficult to say what grade I am working at when there aren't any past papers - I'm unsure whether AS results day is going to be a trainwreck or not

I've considered it but I'm not too sure because all my friends would be going away to university and I'd be stuck at home. Plus, I don't know what I'd do in that year that is beneficial for the application - I want to apply for physics so it needs to be kinda related to that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by h8skoooooool)
    Thanks for making the thread!

I'm just really worried because it's so difficult to say what grade I am working at when there aren't any past papers - I'm unsure whether AS results day is going to be a trainwreck or not

I've considered it but I'm not too sure because all my friends would be going away to university and I'd be stuck at home. Plus, I don't know what I'd do in that year that is beneficial for the application - I want to apply for physics so it needs to be kinda related to that.
    I know it's not much consolation, but everyone in England will be in the same boat, and unis are very aware of what's going on, and will be trying their best not to disadvantage anyone. By the time you get to apply, unis will have seen the sorts of grades people are getting for AS levels, and be able to make some judgement based on that. If for some reason your school does much worse than everyone else, then your referee should mention this.

For physics, passing the new practical parts of any science A-levels you do is going to be very important, as a lot of unis will require that to do a science degree.

2017 results day could be a chaotic mess (or everything could be fine, who knows?). Unis will prepare for this and hopefully have a lot of staff available if you need to go through clearing.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.