Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hazzer1998)
    What is your problem with low taxes ?
    My problem is with spending reductions. I don't deny that in times of economic prosperity, the size of the deficit should be reduced - however, for basic ethical/humanitarian reasons, it ought to be done by raising taxes rather than by reducing spending.

As for petrol specifically, use of vehicles is obviously a bad thing which we ought to discourage excess of. Not only is lower numbers of vehicles on the roads better for the environment, it's also better for the economy. When that same money could be used for public transport investment (oh wait it can't because some idiot privatised the transport sector despite the inefficiency of the private sector in running basic public utilities).
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Teaching English and Maths until 18 so Alevel Maths and English is now compulsory ?

ReputationRep:
    Academies are a terrible idea which should be abolished rather than expanded.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Sugar levy on the soft drinks industry in two years time
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    My problem is with spending reductions. I don't deny that in times of economic prosperity, the size of the deficit should be reduced - however, for basic ethical/humanitarian reasons, it ought to be done by raising taxes rather than by reducing spending.

As for petrol specifically, use of vehicles is obviously a bad thing which we ought to discourage excess of. Not only is lower numbers of vehicles on the roads better for the environment, it's also better for the economy. When that same money could be used for public transport investment (oh wait it can't because some idiot privatised the transport sector despite the inefficiency of the private sector in running basic public utilities).
    So you would let the poor suffer as a result of higher taxes ? That says it all real
    Nationalizing the Transport industry would be outrageous . meaning that the government will have to spend more money on things that could be done by a private company . meaning

- Higher Taxes
    - less funding for more important areas such as Defense or healthcare

ReputationRep:
    Teaching English and Maths until 18 so Alevel Maths and English is now compulsory ?
    The previous proposals around this was for a watered down qualification for those not taking the relevant A levels.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    Academies are a terrible idea which should be abolished rather than expanded.
    So you want to nationalize all schools now ?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Quantex)
    The previous proposals around this was for a watered down qualification for those not taking the relevant A levels.
    Ok i understand
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Fuel duty frozen
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Tobacco duty up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Financier)
    Sugar levy on the soft drinks industry in two years time
    This is about the only good thing I have seen from the budget

So you would let the poor suffer as a result of higher taxes ? That says it all real
    Nationalizing the Transport industry would be outrageous . meaning that the government will have to spend more money on things that could be done by a private company . meaning

- Higher Taxes
    - less funding for more important areas such as Defense or healthcare
    We already put a ton of money into the transport industry, bringing it back in house would let us bring the profits into the treasury and which would help offset the money we currently put into the transport network, and make it run for the people, not just to maximise profit
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Ha. As i predicted he once again froze fuel duty.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Freezing beer and cider duty
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Kay_Winters)
    This is about the only good thing I have seen from the budget

We already put a ton of money into the transport industry, bringing it back in house would let us bring the profits into the treasury and which would help offset the money we currently put into the transport network, and make it run for the people, not just to maximise profit
    Which as a result will mean higher taxes and less spending on more important areas of government

class 2 NI Payment abolished
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Beer and cider duty frozen too as is whisky and spirit duty.

ReputationRep:
    An eventual budget surplus and job creation were the key aims I was looking at and the budget looks good in that regard. Economic growth faster than any other Western economic power is good too.

Will look at the nuances later once George is done but I'm happy with the broad thrust of the budget thus far.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Capital gains cut to 10% for basic rate taxpayers.

ReputationRep:
    Which as a result will mean higher taxes and less spending on more important areas of government

class 2 NI Payment abolished
    Would you prefer we stop funding the transport industry full stop, in order to lower taxes and decrease spending
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Abolish the Lib dems taking effect at midnight tonight
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    "Keep the lump sum and abolish the Liberal Democrats". Quite a good one.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 17, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.