Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Who is the 20k isa supposed to help then?

Who is the lifetime isa supposed to help given the help to buy isa and pensions?
    I presume that most people will fill it a little in the first year and then pile up in subsequent years. As i said earlier though, he's only raised the limit because he brought in the £1000 interest tax free allowance which would have rendered ISA's more or less pointless in the low interest environment.

The Help To Buy ISA is targeted at first time buyers, capped at £15k and capped at a £200 deposit each month. By the sounds of it this new ISA will have no/a much higher limit and permit £4k per per year until one reaches 50. Not far enough but progress.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hazzer1998)
    Overall it was a very good budget ! The soft drink tax came as a surprise but is welcomed
    I'd have liked it to apply on food too and go beyond sugar but yes, it's a good move.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    I'd have liked it to apply on food too and go beyond sugar but yes, it's a good move.
    I Agree people are wrongly calling it a " Sugar tax " it isn't it's a " Soft drink tax " I would of liked to of seen a confectionary tax that includes Cakes , Sweets , chocolate , desserts and all sugary drinks
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    NEWSPAPER REACTIONS

THE I ( Radical Centre )

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the soft drinks tax. This could be extended to cover sweets as well potentially raising more money and proving popular with health campaigners. I believe that there should be a tax on the content of fat as well. I think that corporation tax should be lowered to 15 % with larger companies paying a carbon tax. I would've liked a flat rate of pension tax relief, but understand that this was not politically possible. Even though, I believe he should have at least reduced the top rate relief to 40%. Also business rates could be replaced with a local land value tax. I also think that capital gains tax should have been reduced to 25% not 20%.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    The Daily Telegraph ( Centre Right )

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    THE TIMES

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    THE SUN ( Centre Right , Conservative )

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    THE DAILY MIRROR ( Centre Left )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LordMallard)
    I agree with the soft drinks tax. This could be extended to cover sweets as well potentially raising more money and proving popular with health campaigners. I believe that there should be a tax on the content of fat as well. I think that corporation tax should be lowered to 15 % with larger companies paying a carbon tax. I would've liked a flat rate of pension tax relief, but understand that this was not politically possible. Even though, I believe he should have at least reduced the top rate relief to 40%. Also business rates could be replaced with a local land value tax. I also think that capital gains tax should have been reduced to 25% not 20%.
    I really don't get this, why should everyone pay for the parents who can't accept responsibility for what they feed thier children.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    THE INDEPENDANT ( Centre left to centre )

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    The Guardian ( Centre - Left )

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Financial Times ( Not known )

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Daily Mail ( Centre Right )

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Metro ( Centre Right )

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Daily Express ( Right Wing )

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    The New Day ( Not known )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swagyolo420)
    I really don't get this, why should everyone pay for the parents who can't accept responsibility for what they feed thier children.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Money needs to be raised somehow, and discourage people from eating too much sugar. The more you eat the more you pay. Also lower income taxes means that most people will be better off.

ReputationRep:
    Cant wait till next years budget. More tax cuts and the disabled will loose more benefits. Money is going to the people that need it most!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illegaltobepoor)
    Cant wait till next years budget. More tax cuts and the disabled will loose more benefits. Money is going to the people that need it most!
    I agree with the tax cuts in the budget, but the problem I have is that it is possible to have had them as well as disability benefits unchanged. I'm sure that the Treasury could've found some money from somewhere. Perhaps reductions in pension tax relief, a lower cut in capital gains tax, or higher taxes on tobacco.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 17, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.