Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    There are too many people like this at Cambridge. Can't ****ing stand them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    That would oppressing the opinions and beliefs of these people and the universities wouldn't want to be accusated of supporting such a thing now,would they? So they just create a safe space for them and who knows what else in future
    No. We should challenge their beliefs and get to the root of their hypocrisy. Scrap safe spaces entirely. They are regressive segregation creating an "us and them" mentality.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    No. We should challenge their beliefs and get to the root of their hypocrisy. Scrap safe spaces entirely. They are regressive segregation creating an "us and them" mentality.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You realise why these people feel the need to voice their opinion about cultural appropriation or as some like to refer to it as racial appropriation,anyway this is ending anytime soon and they will still continue to be provided with counselling and safe spaces. It'll just look bad on the unis if they try to hush them up and they'll get bad press online, a story about minorities being victims within British unis etc

ReputationRep:
    You realise why these people feel the need to voice their opinion about cultural appropriation or as some like to refer to it as racial appropriation,anyway this is ending anytime soon and they will still continue to be provided with counselling and safe spaces. It'll just look bad on the unis if they try to hush them up and they'll get bad press online, a story about minorities being victims within British unis etc
    We should encourage freedom of speech and expression, not restricting people from doing what they want because of the colour of their skin. We are regressing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's a complete joke. The irony being that a lot of these students are highly privileged. Can you imagine if White Brits said Africans shouldn't play football because we invented it?

ReputationRep:
    Guys a few good reads on cultural appropriation:

http://www.theestablishment.co/2016/...ampaign=buffer

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-35782855

https://musingsininfinity.wordpress....appropriation/

JK Rowling has also recently been accused of cultural appropriation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IAmNero)
    It's a complete joke. The irony being that a lot of these students are highly privileged. Can you imagine if White Brits said Africans shouldn't play football because we invented it?
    Yup

ReputationRep:
    We should encourage freedom of speech and expression, not restricting people from doing what they want because of the colour of their skin. We are regressing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You have a point but what about those offended or who think their culture is being taken advantage of/mocked in some form?

ReputationRep:
    Omg yet another cultural appropriation story,why always Cambridge?! Oh my :mmm: just knew it

No,I don't think that's what the definition of CA entails
    Have to agree queeny

But if that's the case it's defined in such a way as to always restrict the culture and people of this country to the advantage of cultures who aren't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BaconandSauce)
    Have to agree queeny

But if that's the case it's defined in such a way as to always restrict the culture and people of this country to the advantage of cultures who aren't.
    Aye but it's like in America too. It's the majority vs minority culture aspect

ReputationRep:
    You have a point but what about those offended or who think their culture is being taken advantage of/mocked in some form?
    They have a perfect right to be offended. Let them be offended. I'll be happy to help them attain nirvana.

ReputationRep:
    Tough. They have to learn to deal with it without infringing the rights of others.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What do you suggest we do,rather than resorting to physical violence..
    Have you realised the folly of CA and come over to the dark side, then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Have you realised the folly of CA and come over to the dark side, then?
    NO thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Tough. They have to learn to deal with it without infringing the rights of others.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    lol I didn't realise you had the right to appropriate other people's cultures

ReputationRep:
    They have a perfect right to be offended. Let them be offended. I'll be happy to help them attain nirvana.
    So then you can't complain that they shouldn't be offended,like you said they have a right to be,cos I know you would too if I tried to appropriate your culture

ReputationRep:
    I know you would too if I tried to appropriate your culture
    I don't accept that CA is a valid concept. If you wish to take part in any aspect of British culture whatever, copy it, parody it, criticise it, look at it, laugh at it or take it home and stuff it, I will be completely happy.

I may do any of the above to any aspect of anyone else's culture, have done, and will do again.

ReputationRep:
    NO thanks!
    Oh dear! I thought the 44 pages had exposed its folly, even to you.

ReputationRep:
    lol I didn't realise you had the right to appropriate other people's cultures
    Only in the dreams of an SJW do I not have that right.

ReputationRep:
    I don't accept that CA is a valid concept. If you wish to take part in any aspect of British culture whatever, copy it, parody it, criticise it, look at it, laugh at it or take it home and stuff it, I will be completely happy.

I may do any of the above to any aspect of anyone else's culture, have done, and will do again.
    You're brave aren't you! I don't think people in the Middle East would take too kindly to you doing such a thing,especially mocking of their culture or exploitation. Just be careful

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.