Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone been to Hanoi? Can you recommend any good places to visit / hotels?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    didn't you post the same thread yesterday?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    didn't you post the same thread yesterday?
    Yes I posted it in the wrong forum, it belongs here

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I stayed at a place called Tu Linh Legend Hotel. Incredibly cheap and very nice/clean. Some sites worth checking out are: The temple of literature, the old quarter, Ho Chi Minh mausoleum (remember not to wear shorts there). I would definitely recommend visiting Halong Bay while you are there. There are plenty of agents who offer all inclusive trips which include a tour guide, a coach up there, the ferry, a small meal and then drop off to your hotel. I opted for a day trip but you can stay overnight and spend two days there. It's a beautiful city so I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun there. Excellent food too and dirt cheap beer!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neptuner)
    I stayed at a place called Tu Linh Legend Hotel. Incredibly cheap and very nice/clean. Some sites worth checking out are: The temple of literature, the old quarter, Ho Chi Minh mausoleum (remember not to wear shorts there). I would definitely recommend visiting Halong Bay while you are there. There are plenty of agents who offer all inclusive trips which include a tour guide, a coach up there, the ferry, a small meal and then drop off to your hotel. I opted for a day trip but you can stay overnight and spend two days there. It's a beautiful city so I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun there. Excellent food too and dirt cheap beer!
    Thanks for the advice Neptuner! Just out of interest, why can't you wear shorts? It's a hot country I don't know if I will manage in trousers haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davidguettafan)
    Thanks for the advice Neptuner! Just out of interest, why can't you wear shorts? It's a hot country I don't know if I will manage in trousers haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No problem! Oh I mean just for the mausoleum you have to wear trousers because they still respect their old leader a lot and you would be refused entry to the place if you have shorts. When I visited the mausoleum I had to rush back to the hotel to have a cold shower and change back to shorts because was boiling my ass off haha. Anywhere else you'll be fine in shorts!

ReputationRep:
    No problem! Oh I mean just for the mausoleum you have to wear trousers because they still respect their old leader a lot and you would be refused entry to the place if you have shorts. When I visited the mausoleum I had to rush back to the hotel to have a cold shower and change back to shorts because was boiling my ass off haha. Anywhere else you'll be fine in shorts!
    Ah ok cool! Yes I have heard about Halong bay I will visit it definitely.

Also, do they use Vietnamese Dong or US dollars?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ah ok cool! Yes I have heard about Halong bay I will visit it definitely.

Also, do they use Vietnamese Dong or US dollars?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Both are widely used there, but for ease of conversion I started out with just USD then when I ran out I withdrew Dong from the ATM, but had no problems paying with either currency. I'd try to have a rough idea about USD/Dong rates when you arrive to make sure you don't get ripped off if you come across prices displayed in one currency but only have the other with you.

The visa stamp fee at the airport was in USD but I'm sure it's perfectly fine to pay in Dong too!

ReputationRep:
    Both are widely used there, but for ease of conversion I started out with just USD then when I ran out I withdrew Dong from the ATM, but had no problems paying with either currency. I'd try to have a rough idea about USD/Dong rates when you arrive to make sure you don't get ripped off if you come across prices displayed in one currency but only have the other with you.

The visa stamp fee at the airport was in USD but I'm sure it's perfectly fine to pay in Dong too!
    Wait I have to pay for a visa? I thought British citizens didn't need one

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Wait I have to pay for a visa? I thought British citizens didn't need one

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh you're right, I visited in 2014 when you needed to pay but just found this info below. So I guess if you're there for less than 15 days you won't need. I had to pay bloody $80 dollars or something for mine haha. Are you traveling before 30th June?

"From 1 July 2015 to 30 June 2016, all British passport holders travelling for tourism or business can enter Vietnam for up to a maximum of 15 days without a visa. If you’re planning to travel after 30 June 2016 you should contact the Vietnamese embassy in London for further advice.You must get a visa before you travel to Vietnam if you want to stay for longer than 15 days and/or if you wish to re-enter Vietnam within 30 days of your departure. If you plan to leave Vietnam and re-enter from another country make sure you get a multiple visit visa before travelling."

ReputationRep:
    Oh you're right, I visited in 2014 when you needed to pay but just found this info below. So I guess if you're there for less than 15 days you won't need. I had to pay bloody $80 dollars or something for mine haha. Are you traveling before 30th June?

"From 1 July 2015 to 30 June 2016, all British passport holders travelling for tourism or business can enter Vietnam for up to a maximum of 15 days without a visa. If you’re planning to travel after 30 June 2016 you should contact the Vietnamese embassy in London for further advice.You must get a visa before you travel to Vietnam if you want to stay for longer than 15 days and/or if you wish to re-enter Vietnam within 30 days of your departure. If you plan to leave Vietnam and re-enter from another country make sure you get a multiple visit visa before travelling."
    Ah phew lol. Yeah I travel next month!

Wow I'm glad they brought in this new rule!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ah phew lol. Yeah I travel next month!

Wow I'm glad they brought in this new rule!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah nice I'm sure you'll have a great time! Feel free to shoot me a message if you need any other tips with Vietnam (or SE Asia).

ReputationRep:
    Hanoi,Vietnam's capital races to make up for time lost to the ravages of war and a government that as recently as the 1990s kept the outside world at bay. Its streets surge with scooters vying for right of way amid the din of constantly blaring horns, and all around layers of history reveal periods of French and Chinese occupation – offering a glimpse into the resilience of ambitious, proud Hanoians.Negotiate a passage past the ubiquitous knock-off merchants and you’ll find the original streets of the Old Quarter. Defiant real-deal farmers hawk their wares, while city folk breakfast on noodles, practise t’ai chi at dawn on the shores of Hoan Kiem Lake, or play chess with goateed grandfathers.Hanoi is undergoing a rapid transformation. You can dine on the wild and wonderful at every corner, sample market wares, uncover an evolving arts scene, then sleep soundly in a little luxury for very little cost. Meet the people, delve into the past and witness the awakening of a Hanoi on the move.(Read more at: Vietnam Tour Booking)When do you visit Vietnam, next week, i'll visit Hanoi and Halong. We can go together if having the same time.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.