Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilydavison6)
    guys as demand and price have an INVERSE relationship

doesnt that mean that PED is always negative and therefore a relatively elastic PED is greater than -1 not (1) and relatively inelastic is between 0 and -1 . perfectly elastic is infinity, unitary would be -1 and perfectly ineaslic 0?
    or is it the other way round help !!ahaha
    Yes, PED is always negative.

Relatively elastic demand: PED is between -1 and negative-infinity, quantity demanded is responsive to changes in price
    Relatively inelastic demand: PED is between 0 and -1, quantity demanded is unresponsive to changes in price
    Unitary elastic demand: PED = -1
    Perfectly elastic demand: PED = negative-infinity, quantity demanded responds to changes in price infinitely
    Perfectly inelastic demand: PED = 0, quantity demanded does not respond to changes in price at all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by guyr)
    Yes, PED is always negative.

Relatively elastic demand: PED is between -1 and negative-infinity, quantity demanded is responsive to changes in price
    Relatively inelastic demand: PED is between 0 and -1, quantity demanded is unresponsive to changes in price
    Unitary elastic demand: PED = -1
    Perfectly elastic demand: PED = negative-infinity, quantity demanded responds to changes in price infinitely
    Perfectly inelastic demand: PED = 0, quantity demanded does not respond to changes in price at all
    ahh thank you so much!!

ReputationRep:
    does anyone have any tips for the multiple choice questions? I know all the facts, and I can draw them together for the data response but when I try to answer the multiple choice I just get them wrong

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if we still have UMS for this exam, since its a new spec???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diastal)
    What do you mean by adjusted papers? The only ones I can find adjusted for the new spec are the specimen papers. And there are only one specimen paper for each theme. I just wanted to do more practice on 20 mark questions and couldn't find any online.
    PM me your email and I'll send them your way, they're just past papers from the old spec that have adopted the new marking structure and style so for section B it's gone from the old style to 4,5,6,10,15,20 and section A has kept the multiple choice from the paper but the explain bit is replaced by a definition or calculation, also some have been created from tutor2u

ReputationRep:
    hi, does anyone know of any indirect tax 20marker practise questions, looked online but cant find one to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zayn008)
    PM me your email and I'll send them your way
    could you send me these as well please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcdeffy)
    does anyone have any tips for the multiple choice questions? I know all the facts, and I can draw them together for the data response but when I try to answer the multiple choice I just get them wrong
    This is a concern since you should be bagging 100% on them, which part are you getting wrong?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scarlett2747)
    could you send me these as well please?
    Sure, anyone who wants them just PM me your email

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zayn008)
    This is a concern since you should be bagging 100% on them, which part are you getting wrong?
    i know, everyone gets full marks on these and i just screw up! i don't really know how to explain it... i just never quite understand what the question is asking me or i find the answers too similar to be able to pick the right one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by at56)
    Does anyone know if we still have UMS for this exam, since its a new spec???
    They no longer use UMS in the new specification because the A level and AS level are now linear (everyone takes all exams at the end) as opposed to modular (where different people would take exams at different times and therefore different papers to contribute to their overall grade at the end).

They don't really publicise this but they will set grade boundaries based on the spread of how people do normally. So they will make sure to have roughly the same percentage of students who got an A/B/C/D grade last year, getting those grades this year. e.g. 21% of AS Economics students got an A last year, so ~21% will get an A this year.

To be honest it's not worth worrying about UMS and grade boundaries before the exam. Better to spend that time learning definitions, frameworks and doing practice questions!

ReputationRep:
    The 10 markers most likely going to be One of PED,PES,YED,XED right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4viwrs)
    The 10 markers most likely going to be One of PED,PES,YED,XED right?
    It could also be the 4 mark question asking to calculate it, but yes it is a possibility for the 10 mark question

ReputationRep:
    Could you please send this to m as well ill pm you my email thanks

ReputationRep:
    Sorry that this is such late notice (I understand the exam is tomorrow and everyone is incredibly busy) but do you think you could send the guide for questions to me. It would be greatly appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    For some reason I do really bad on the micro papers. I know the definitions and can draw the graphs , but I think I struggle on the 20 mark questions. Can someone help me with how to answer these? Longer questions about externalities and market failure I really struggle with being able to write a lot about for some reason

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wolf999)
    For some reason I do really bad on the micro papers. I know the definitions and can draw the graphs , but I think I struggle on the 20 mark questions. Can someone help me with how to answer these? Longer questions about externalities and market failure I really struggle with being able to write a lot about for some reason
    Have a look at the video on exam technique and framework for externalities here:

https://uplearn.co.uk/economics-exam-technique

ReputationRep:
    thank you!!
    (Original post by guyr)
    Have a look at the video on exam technique and framework for externalities here:

https://uplearn.co.uk/economics-exam-technique

ReputationRep:
    for every evaluate essay question do you have to
    say a pro (whatever is the question)
    then do an alternative of why it my be something else
    then do pro question
    then do alternative
    do you do this for each point?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.