The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Is it possible to study open university while a full time student

I am currently doing an open university access course.

I am going to college this year to do a hnd but I like the idea of stil doing modules throught the open university on the side during my spare time.

Is it possible to study with the open university as a self funded student while studying full time at a local college??
I don't think so if it goes over 150 credits in total, between both establishments, for the year. It's a gov rule that you can only be charged, regardless of how funded, for a max cost of 150 credits a year. ETA: But it's not clear how it works for more than one institution.

It would be pretty hard going and basically kill any life if you want good grades in all modules if you did do an extra module(s) on top on full time studying. Better grades in fewer modules trumps more modules with likely to be lower grades/scores.

There was a forum thread a while back about it on OU with links so when I find it, I'll try to post it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Original post by laalNick
I don't think so if it goes over 150 credits in total, between both establishments, for the year. It's a gov rule that you can only be charged, regardless of how funded, for a max cost of 150 credits a year. ETA: But it's not clear how it works for more than one institution.

It would be pretty hard going and basically kill any life if you want good grades in all modules if you did do an extra module(s) on top on full time studying. Better grades in fewer modules trumps more modules with likely to be lower grades/scores.

There was a forum thread a while back about it on OU with links so when I find it, I'll try to post it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks
Reply 3

Posted from TSR Mobile

A HND would be 120 credits per year so technically I could still do 30 credits from the Open University.
You might be able to but you will have to check funding and if college is ok with as some places aren't keen on multiple courses at once. Also just because you can do something, might not mean it's the best thing to do. I would concentrate on the 120credits at college as that's 'full' time study anyway and you do really need downtime too and if you fall behind in something it's going to be harder to catch up with 2 courses on the go. But it's your choice, I just think it might get too much and it's a lot of money if anything goes wrong and have to back out.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
You might be able to but you will have to check funding and if college is ok with as some places aren't keen on multiple courses at once. Also just because you can do something, might not mean it's the best thing to do. I would concentrate on the 120credits at college as that's 'full' time study anyway and you do really need downtime too and if you fall behind in something it's going to be harder to catch up with 2 courses on the go. But it's your choice, I just think it might get too much and it's a lot of money if anything goes wrong and have to back out.

The full time course I will focus on and see what happens and if I think I have the time then I will probably try and progress on another area of interest with the open university. It could be lost time if I didn't. I will be paying the open university myself and will be doing independent modules. I will takes years with the OU but I want to get somthing short term by going to college.
If I can go to college it will give me somthing to do instead of working in jobs which I have already done for a while.
(edited 8 years ago)
Yes you can, as long as you do not claim funding (thats from any UK government or student loans company) from both institutions. So you will have to pay for one of them yourself. Technically you could do a full year of open uni (120 credits) alongside your HND, if you can handle the workload.

Some university regulations will stipulate you cannot be registered to another institution at the same time, Open Uni do not have this so check with the other establishment.

Edit- Even if they did stipulate you cannot be registered with two institutions I doubt they would ever find out as long as you do not claim double funding.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest