Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I'm going to go to university this summer. For that I need a new laptop as my current one is too big and heavy in my opinion, it also only runs for about 2 hours before needing recharging. I'm not from uk but I hope you can help me, I live an am going to study in Denmark so I understand that you probably can't give links to places where I can buy. I'm mostly interested in model and brand anyway as well as specs and I can find somewhere to buy the computer on my own.
    The most important things for me is weight and battery life. I want it to be as light as possible as I'll be carrying it around a lot and it should preferably last for at least 6 hours of light usage so I don't have to charge it while at university.
    Cheaper is better, meaning that I don't feel a need to use my entire budget if I can avoid it but I'm willing to if its worth it. My absolute max is ~£1000.
    I'd prefer if the screen is around 11-13" maybe 14" but 15" is too big, both for my bag and for the small desks at my university.
    I don't care if it's iOS or Windows and I don't need any specific software other than a browser and word. I would like to be able to play low-end games on it (and wouldn't mind better games) but it's not a necessity as it will mainly be for studying and I have a desktop at home which can handle games and the like.
    I haven't been able to find any requirements from my university except for the wifi preferably being compatible with n or a. I'm trying to ask around amongst current students and student guides but haven't received an answer so far. I'm going to be studying language and communication so I imagine there won't be much photo or video editing of any kind.
    Please feel free to ask if I've left anything out or there is something you would like to know.
    Thank you in advance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zebrakatten)
    Hi,
    You're essentially describing ultrabooks, which are laptops that focus on being small, light, and offering longer than average battery life. As you've mentioned it's not really possible for us to easily make recommendations because availability, pricing and even product names vary by country, but most major laptop manufacturers have a premium ultrabook line that will tick the boxes you're looking for, so have a look around and see what's available for you at your desired budget. The product lines I would be looking for are:

*Apple MacBook Air and MacBook Pro
    *Asus Zenbook
    *Dell XPS
    *HP Envy/Spectre
    *Lenovo Yoga 700/900, or Yoga 3 Pro
    *Microsoft Surface

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much for your quick answer. I assume those computers will be somewhat expensive? The name 'ultra book' at least makes me think that. Would they be able to run decently well after 4, maybe 5, years? I understand they won't be as good as new computers by then and their battery life will be shorter but would it still be decent?
    Are there any you would recommend or is it simply up to preference for os and looks?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much for your quick answer. I assume those computers will be somewhat expensive? The name 'ultra book' at least makes me think that. Would they be able to run decently well after 4, maybe 5, years? I understand they won't be as good as new computers by then and their battery life will be shorter but would it still be decent?
    Are there any you would recommend or is it simply up to preference for os and looks?
    They are usually ~£500 and personally I would recommend the surface, but its mainly down to preference

ReputationRep:
    They can start around £500 as mentioned avove, but scale up to £1000 and beyond. The "ultra" refers to ultraportable more than anything.

If you can get one with a newer i5 or i7 processor and 8GB of RAM, it should last you a long time provided you don't want to do anything overly demanding.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you.
    The surface 3 and the yoga 700 is around £500 but the rest is around £800-1000 so if they're about equal I guess I'll be looking mostly at the surface and the yoga 700 ^^

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.