Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Putin orders start of Russian military withdrawal from Syria, says ‘objectives achiev watch

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Russian President Vladimir Putin has ordered Defense Minister Sergey Shoigu to start the withdrawal of forces from Syria starting Tuesday. Russia will however keep a military presence at the port of Tartus and at the Khmeimim airbase to observe ceasefire agreements.

“I consider the objectives that have been set for the Defense Ministry to be generally accomplished. That is why I order to start withdrawal of the main part of our military group from the territory of the Syrian Arab Republic starting from tomorrow,”

Putin said on Monday during a meeting with Shoigu and Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov.

https://www.rt.com/news/335554-putin...ia-withdrawal/

ReputationRep:
    The conspiracy is coming to fruition. Countries that surround Israel are being divided up so they are more divided and weak than ever.

Don't forget Iran supports Bashar-Al Assad along with Russia and you know the West isn't too fond of them. Russia is messing up their plans and America's elite hate them for it.

Come on people it doesn't take a genius to see what is going on.

ReputationRep:
    The articles I've seen say that Russia is only withdrawing ground troops, who are currently involved in training government forces and guarding Russian bases. The Russian air campaign is apparently going to continue as normal (or will do if the ceasefire collapses).
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by RF_PineMarten)
    The articles I've seen say that Russia is only withdrawing ground troops, who are currently involved in training government forces and guarding Russian bases. The Russian air campaign is apparently going to continue as normal (or will do if the ceasefire collapses).
    They've started pulling out fighters, fighter-bombers and attack helicopters too. I'm somewhat shocked, but I suppose Putin has achieved his aims, giving Assad the battlefield wins to strengthen his negotiating position. If the Russians stayed longer Assad might start pushing for total victory that he'd never win, this way there is more likely to be a settlement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    They've started pulling out fighters, fighter-bombers and attack helicopters too. I'm somewhat shocked, but I suppose Putin has achieved his aims, giving Assad the battlefield wins to strengthen his negotiating position. If the Russians stayed longer Assad might start pushing for total victory that he'd never win, this way there is more likely to be a settlement.
    Yeah, some articles are now saying that some aircraft are being withdrawn. The first articles I read were talking just about ground troops. We'll have to wait and see exactly what happens. Maybe it's a complete withdrawl, maybe it's being scaled down, maybe the Russians will start focusing solely/mostly on ISIS. That's not really clear just yet.

The theory about a settlement makes sense. Assad had made statements saying he wanted to take back the whole country. It's possible the Russians actually do want a settlement rather than total military "victory", and they're now withdrawing or scaling down to force Assad to negotiate. This is all just speculation though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    I think Putin has lost the plot. He is running away. Superpowers don't just retreat. Did we retreat from Afghanistan in 2002 only 6 months after getting involved?

We expected Russia would stay in Syria until full peace and help rebuilt the country. Instead things are back to square one.

Syria is a long term case but Russia was having a good effect now they just leave. Goes to show Putin is a paper tiger.

Now all they've achieved has been lost. ISIS can breath a sigh of relief and get their confidence back before reclaiming land they lost to the Kurds and Assad.

Well it was good while it lasted, but 6 months was not enough.

Russia should stop trying to be something they're not. They are not a superpower and might as well bring back Yeltsin.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Ambitious1999)
    I think Putin has lost the plot. He is running away. Superpowers don't just retreat. Did we retreat from Afghanistan in 2002 only 6 months after getting involved?

We expected Russia would stay in Syria until full peace and help rebuilt the country. Instead things are back to square one.

Syria is a long term case but Russia was having a good effect now they just leave. Goes to show Putin is a paper tiger.

Now all they've achieved has been lost. ISIS can breath a sigh of relief and get their confidence back before reclaiming land they lost to the Kurds and Assad.

Russia should stop trying to be something they're not. They are not a superpower and might as well bring back Yeltsin.
    Arguable we should have left Afghanistan after 6 months. We had destroyed Al Qaeda infrastructure, their camps and removed a safe haven. Our fight was never with the Taliban. What has an extra 10 years really given up? History is filled with examples of overreach by outside powers. There is certainly an argument that needs to be made for limited objectives in foreign policy.

As for ISIS they are still being hit by the coalition and the Kurds, Russia never really did much to them.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    He's propped up the Assad regime.
    He doesnt want to get bogged down, too unpopular...
    Military operations are expensive.
    Refugees will continue to flee.
    They arent bothered about ISIS and never were.

ReputationRep:

The vast majority of Kurdish gains against ISIS have been due to air support from the US led coalition, not because of Russian air strikes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    He's propped up the Assad regime.
    He doesnt want to get bogged down, too unpopular...
    Military operations are expensive.
    Refugees will continue to flee.
    They arent bothered about ISIS and never were.
    Propped up Assad for what? 6 months. He has wasted billions on a pointless military campaign, which without complete destruction of the terrorists is simply a delay to the inevitable, a terrorist caliphate in Syria.

Now the Russians have run away the terrorists will just regroup and start again. It might take another 5 years of war. FSA and Al Nusra defeat Assad then a period of chaos like in Libya before ISIS turns the whole of Syria into its dreamed caliphate and Damascus becomes a massive death camp.

Had Russia stayed Assad could have taken back full control of Syria, now that ain't gonna happen.

ISIS must be celebrating no thanks to Putin.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Propped up Assad for what? 6 months. He has wasted billions on a pointless military campaign, which without complete destruction of the terrorists is simply a delay to the inevitable, a terrorist caliphate in Syria.

Now the Russians have run away the terrorists will just regroup and start again. It might take another 5 years of war. FSA and Al Nusra defeat Assad then a period of chaos like in Libya before ISIS turns the whole of Syria into its dreamed caliphate and Damascus becomes a massive death camp.

Had Russia stayed Assad could have taken back full control of Syria, now that ain't gonna happen.

Because Syria is a zone of Russian influence. Assad now has the upper hand in the civil war, they didnt have that before, which means he will be around in any peace talks instead of losing. No it wasnt pointless its a diplomatic victory for him and they cna now get out before getting bogged down.

If ISIS ever start expanding again they cna always come back. the infrastructure is there and it doesnt take long to move back planes. Russia was never interested in a long protracted expensive war.

ReputationRep:
    Putin's a real Christian leader

ReputationRep:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Josb)
    I'd just like to point out that banner had nothing to do with the Iraq war. It was put up because the carrier had completed some milestone or another. It was very unfortunately placed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Russia was not the major factor in preventing ISIS advancement. ISIS will continue to be pushed back without Russian influence.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 16, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.