Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Best workouts to build overall fitness? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I'm looking at building my fitness and am just completely clueless on where to start. I used to dance quite frequently when I was younger but haven't done any form of exercise in a long time. My current fitness is awful, I get out of breath from doing anything and everything and have no flexibility, strength or stamina. I'm not overweight though, I'd say I'm on the petite side if anything, but I'm so unhealthy and I hate it! I really want to join various sport/dance societies when I get to university in September but it would be totally pointless with my current level of fitness. Can anyone give me advice on what I can do to help myself?

Thank you for reading!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 14Billie)
    Hi all,

I'm looking at building my fitness and am just completely clueless on where to start. I used to dance quite frequently when I was younger but haven't done any form of exercise in a long time. My current fitness is awful, I get out of breath from doing anything and everything and have no flexibility, strength or stamina. I'm not overweight though, I'd say I'm on the petite side if anything, but I'm so unhealthy and I hate it! I really want to join various sport/dance societies when I get to university in September but it would be totally pointless with my current level of fitness. Can anyone give me advice on what I can do to help myself?

Thank you for reading!
    Running is complete workout. You can try swimming if it puts too much pressure on your joints.

ReputationRep:
    Dancing is a great workout!

The main thing is to pick something you enjoy. Don't worry about picking the perfect training program. Just pick something you're going to like and stick to it or switch it up. It doesn't matter how you exercise, just that you do! Enjoy it.

There are lots of different ways to get the body you want.

ReputationRep:
    Hello Billie,

I would highly advice starting with a light Hight Intensity Interval Training type programme and incorporating strength exercises within in. The good thing about this type of training is you can do it anywhere and it works anaerobically to help get you ready for all kinds of sports.
    I would also recommend doing some kind of fitness testing and writing all your workouts down so you know when you have progressed and when to push it harder

Daniel

ReputationRep:
    thank you for your advice everyone, I'm gonna take it all on board and give it a go!

ReputationRep:
    Agree that going for something you enjoy, and therefore will continue, is the most important thing.

If you do want to try running the Couch-2-5K program is really good, apparently.

ReputationRep:
    Running, spinning/cycling, swimming and HIIT workouts

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.