Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so I have a slightly technical question about how the Edexcel Further maths qualification works.

Last year I took C1&2, S1&2, FP1 and D1
    This year I'm taking C3&4, M1-3 & FP2.

I'm considering self-teaching myself D2 as it seems easier than FP2 & M3, which would mean I have an extra module in my further maths and I'm not quite sure of the benefits of this. I'm looking to secure my A and maximise chances at an A*, so if I take 4 FM modules will Edexcel pick the best three and run with it? Also does FP2 have to be one of these (I think it does).

Also, for the A* I have to average 90 in 3 A2 FM modules. If I did this I would have 5 A2 FM modules (S2, M2, M3, FP2, D2). Is it possible to use 3 for the qualification, but use another set of three for the A* (i.e. FP2 has to be used for the qualification itself, but could I use my extra module instead of FP2 to get the A* even though it's not technically one of the three I "used"?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by electrifeye)
    if I take 4 FM modules will Edexcel pick the best three and run with it?
    Yes.

Also does FP2 have to be one of these
    You need one pure A2 module so since you're not doing FP3, FP2 must be one of these!

If I did this I would have 5 A2 FM modules (S2, M2, M3, FP2, D2). Is it possible to use 3 for the qualification, but use another set of three for the A* (i.e. FP2 has to be used for the qualification itself, but could I use my extra module instead of FP2 to get the A* even though it's not technically one of the three I "used"?)
    No, I don't think you can do that - you'll need 6 modules in FM altogether including FP2. So amongst your A2 modules, your combinations could be:

FP2 (compulsory) and any three from M2, M3, S2, D2. However, do keep in mind that your AS modules play a big role here - without S1, your S2 can't get cashed in and similarly for D2; M3 must have M2 cashed in along with M1, so if you're counting on M3, you also should do well on M2.

Did you get an A* in S2?

Just try getting 90% in all your exams and you should be safe. Good luck!

For future reference, please post in the maths forum and not the maths exams forum!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by electrifeye)
    Ok, so I have a slightly technical question about how the Edexcel Further maths qualification works.

Last year I took C1&2, S1&2, FP1 and D1
    This year I'm taking C3&4, M1-3 & FP2.

I'm considering self-teaching myself D2 as it seems easier than FP2 & M3, which would mean I have an extra module in my further maths and I'm not quite sure of the benefits of this. I'm looking to secure my A and maximise chances at an A*, so if I take 4 FM modules will Edexcel pick the best three and run with it? Also does FP2 have to be one of these (I think it does).

Also, for the A* I have to average 90 in 3 A2 FM modules. If I did this I would have 5 A2 FM modules (S2, M2, M3, FP2, D2). Is it possible to use 3 for the qualification, but use another set of three for the A* (i.e. FP2 has to be used for the qualification itself, but could I use my extra module instead of FP2 to get the A* even though it's not technically one of the three I "used"?)
    I don't know about you, but I got slightly lost in the "yes" "no" answers.

FP2 has to be one of the modules in your FM A level (as you are not taking FP3). Any 3 of FP2, M2, M3, D2 and S2 can be the ones that you get a total of 270 in to give you the A*.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 14, 2016

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.