electrifeye
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Ok, so I have a slightly technical question about how the Edexcel Further maths qualification works.

Last year I took C1&2, S1&2, FP1 and D1
This year I'm taking C3&4, M1-3 & FP2.

I'm considering self-teaching myself D2 as it seems easier than FP2 & M3, which would mean I have an extra module in my further maths and I'm not quite sure of the benefits of this. I'm looking to secure my A and maximise chances at an A*, so if I take 4 FM modules will Edexcel pick the best three and run with it? Also does FP2 have to be one of these (I think it does).

Also, for the A* I have to average 90 in 3 A2 FM modules. If I did this I would have 5 A2 FM modules (S2, M2, M3, FP2, D2). Is it possible to use 3 for the qualification, but use another set of three for the A* (i.e. FP2 has to be used for the qualification itself, but could I use my extra module instead of FP2 to get the A* even though it's not technically one of the three I "used"?)
Ayman!
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by electrifeye)
if I take 4 FM modules will Edexcel pick the best three and run with it?
Yes.

Also does FP2 have to be one of these
You need one pure A2 module so since you're not doing FP3, FP2 must be one of these!

If I did this I would have 5 A2 FM modules (S2, M2, M3, FP2, D2). Is it possible to use 3 for the qualification, but use another set of three for the A* (i.e. FP2 has to be used for the qualification itself, but could I use my extra module instead of FP2 to get the A* even though it's not technically one of the three I "used"?)
No, I don't think you can do that - you'll need 6 modules in FM altogether including FP2. So amongst your A2 modules, your combinations could be:

FP2 (compulsory) and any three from M2, M3, S2, D2. However, do keep in mind that your AS modules play a big role here - without S1, your S2 can't get cashed in and similarly for D2; M3 must have M2 cashed in along with M1, so if you're counting on M3, you also should do well on M2.

Did you get an A* in S2?

Just try getting 90% in all your exams and you should be safe. Good luck!

For future reference, please post in the maths forum and not the maths exams forum!
tiny hobbit
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by electrifeye)
Ok, so I have a slightly technical question about how the Edexcel Further maths qualification works.

Last year I took C1&2, S1&2, FP1 and D1
This year I'm taking C3&4, M1-3 & FP2.

I'm considering self-teaching myself D2 as it seems easier than FP2 & M3, which would mean I have an extra module in my further maths and I'm not quite sure of the benefits of this. I'm looking to secure my A and maximise chances at an A*, so if I take 4 FM modules will Edexcel pick the best three and run with it? Also does FP2 have to be one of these (I think it does).

Also, for the A* I have to average 90 in 3 A2 FM modules. If I did this I would have 5 A2 FM modules (S2, M2, M3, FP2, D2). Is it possible to use 3 for the qualification, but use another set of three for the A* (i.e. FP2 has to be used for the qualification itself, but could I use my extra module instead of FP2 to get the A* even though it's not technically one of the three I "used"?)
I don't know about you, but I got slightly lost in the "yes" "no" answers.

FP2 has to be one of the modules in your FM A level (as you are not taking FP3). Any 3 of FP2, M2, M3, D2 and S2 can be the ones that you get a total of 270 in to give you the A*.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (23)
8.49%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
14.02%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (46)
16.97%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (38)
14.02%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (79)
29.15%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
17.34%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed