Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How do you move on from a long term serious relationship watch

Been with this girl for 6 years in a very serious relationship. broke up and cut contact with her 2 years ago. Still have been unable to move on! Attempted everything possible in the book to move on, and still can't seem to go a few hours without thinking of her.

Help

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    The girl is probably feeling the same. I think moving on is the best way to help you, finding other women.

ReputationRep:
    That sounds like a pretty sucky situation. Did you have an amicable break up? You might want to consider getting back in touch with her just to ask how she's doing- if she replies encouragingly, you can try to meet up and see how it goes from there, and if she replies negatively (or not at all), I think you'll get the message and at least know that there's no hope since she's not interested.

Have you ever been interested in anyone else since then? Do you talk to other girls? Or have you, directly or indirectly, set up your life in a way that means you won't/can't move on? What I mean is that sometimes we imagine our life is a romantic comedy where you break up with someone who is actually your 'true love' and you think that pining after them will somehow make this love more true, and eventually one day you'll get back together (I'm looking at you, Love Rosie.) I know it happens to me a lot and I've had to try very hard to move on from previous exes who I wanted to the 'the one'. Was she your first relationship?

Also just remember that different people take different times to recover from relationships, especially if it was a serious, long-term relationship. No one says you have to get over it in six months or a year. Six years is a pretty long time, and you may want to give yourself more time to simply recover from it. I would certainly be devastated if it happened to me.

Do things that you like, and try out new things as well. Keep thinking about her every few hours? Keep yourself occupied. Play a computer game, go rock climbing, read a long book. Talk more to other people. When you are busy your brain just doesn't have the ability to focus on so many things at a time, and if you're tired at the end of the day you won't have time to think about her. I'm assuming you've tried all these things but just keep going- it may not necessarily help you forget more easily, but it is a heck of a lot better than sitting on your couch doing nothing and thinking about her all day.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 14, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.