pososel
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi!

So I've got offers to study Social Anthropology at both the University of Edinburgh and University of Durham and I can't decide which one, so I was hoping someone on here might have some useful insight into the course at either university or the universities themselves - social life/nightlife/things to do, and in particular international reputation and job links/prospects that each university may have - that will help me on my way to deciding which to choose.

Thank you so much to anyone who replies
Snufkin
Badges: 21
Report 4 years ago
Have you considered the (very real) differences in the course structure? Durham's degree is three years long and you just study social anthropology. Edinburgh's degree lasts four years, but for the first two years you only spend 1/3 of your time studying social anthropology.
number23
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
As a student from Durham I can only speak from my perspective, but it is a really great university. There is lots of student support - like training sessions you can book onto, individual study rooms, great career service, modern library... Also the collegiate system is very nice.

Resources are excellent. Like, recently, for my dissertation, there were a few obscure books that would be really useful, I requested them to the library and they are going to buy them.

From what I know about Edinburgh, it is a lovely town. Prestigious uni too

Durham uni is very social, there are so many societies, from Wine Balls to Canoeing or Yoga or chess club.. anything

Nightlife is notorious for not being good, but in reality it is in a funny way

For job links there is some stands most weeks by the library from businesses, big banks giving out smoothies or free pens to entice you to think about working for them... the career centre is good, you can get cv help, advice on what steps to take... I went there the other day and was given a big hardback book of Times top 100 employers and a free notepad. And when you are paying £9,000 a year, you need all the free stuff you can get tbh

Also, you can study abroad if you like.. you can even decide in second year, and the process runs very smoothly.

Durham is prestigious and well-known to employers

Actually, I feel like Edinburgh and Durham seem pretty similar, but from my experience, I can definitely recommend the latter... ultimately it is up to you though

good luck
Camilli
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Edinburgh may get more of a nod of recognition overseas-- certainly in the US. But that's based on fairly out-dated impressions (as all such stereotypes are).
pososel
Rep:
?
(Original post by number23)
As a student from Durham I can only speak from my perspective, but it is a really great university. There is lots of student support - like training sessions you can book onto, individual study rooms, great career service, modern library... Also the collegiate system is very nice.

Resources are excellent. Like, recently, for my dissertation, there were a few obscure books that would be really useful, I requested them to the library and they are going to buy them.

From what I know about Edinburgh, it is a lovely town. Prestigious uni too

Durham uni is very social, there are so many societies, from Wine Balls to Canoeing or Yoga or chess club.. anything

Nightlife is notorious for not being good, but in reality it is in a funny way

For job links there is some stands most weeks by the library from businesses, big banks giving out smoothies or free pens to entice you to think about working for them... the career centre is good, you can get cv help, advice on what steps to take... I went there the other day and was given a big hardback book of Times top 100 employers and a free notepad. And when you are paying £9,000 a year, you need all the free stuff you can get tbh

Also, you can study abroad if you like.. you can even decide in second year, and the process runs very smoothly.

Durham is prestigious and well-known to employers

Actually, I feel like Edinburgh and Durham seem pretty similar, but from my experience, I can definitely recommend the latter... ultimately it is up to you though

good luck
Thank you so much! This was amazingly helpful

I'm going to post-offer days at both universities in the next few weeks, so that will help me more in my decision, I'm sure, but this was great thank you again!
Unidec
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi. I'm in exactly the same boat but didn't get a chance to go to Edinburgh post offer day. How did you get on and has it helped you decide!??
Many thanks
pososel
Rep:
?
(Original post by Unidec)
Hi. I'm in exactly the same boat but didn't get a chance to go to Edinburgh post offer day. How did you get on and has it helped you decide!??
Many thanks
Hey, I went to the post-offer day at Edinburgh today and I think I'm going to go with Edinburgh! I just realised that a slightly larger city environment is better for me, and that I would prefer to focus on the social aspect of Anthropology (you know because Durham also focuses on Medical and Biological anthropology) because I think ultimately I don't think I will choose to pursue a career that focuses on either of those aspects.

Although I really liked Durham I just feel like being there wouldn't be right for me, Edinburgh just has so much to offer as a city, and I love the idea of doing modules in other subject areas. They just seem so flexible with their course structure and I think internationally it is more renowned as a University. I know student satisfaction is that bit lower and it is like 10 places below Durham on the league tables but I thought the professors and their subject areas were really interesting, and it just feels that bit more right for me.

I hope this helped! Maybe see you next year!
pososel
Rep:
?
Many thanks
Oh, and if you have any other questions just ask! I tried to cover everything, but there's so much to take into account and I stress about decisions a lot, I mean my decision isn't completely final, but I'm pretty certain I'm going to go with Edinburgh
Unidec
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Wow that's so helpful thankyou! It's such a hard decision to make but it really seems like we have the same criteria! My worry was with student satisfaction as well so it's good to know you found them interesting... I also have a friend of a friend who took a gap year and is In her first year now in Edinburgh studying social anthropology so I've emailed her to ask how she's finding it.. I can post that up here if you like?! I think I've just got a few weeks of contemplation and tricky decision making ahead haha (ps. good luck in your exams!)
pososel
Rep:
?
Wow that's so helpful thankyou! It's such a hard decision to make but it really seems like we have the same criteria! My worry was with student satisfaction as well so it's good to know you found them interesting... I also have a friend of a friend who took a gap year and is In her first year now in Edinburgh studying social anthropology so I've emailed her to ask how she's finding it.. I can post that up here if you like?! I think I've just got a few weeks of contemplation and tricky decision making ahead haha (ps. good luck in your exams!)
Yeah please let me know what she says! I still haven't made my decision, I'm the most indecisive person ever and this decision is proving to be very stressful for me! aha. I'm on a gap year at the moment actually, so all my offers are unconditional, but good luck with your exams too! And thank you so much
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (437)
56.24%
I don't have everything I need (340)
43.76%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise