Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    so for GCSE's i have printed off the specification for every subject, gone through every single point and made notes on it. this means that for like every subject i have 20+ pages of notes. should i just learn all these pages? or condense them into flash cards or much smaller amounts???
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    You have to find a revision technique that suits you. If you can memorise PAGES of a single subject then go right ahead but I think youll find this difficult to do. There are several ways you can revise but it has to be a way which allows the info to stick. Personally, I find flash cards useful and colour code them for my each subject. My friend however prefers rewriting information in her own words to remember. Another way you can do it is to read a page off of a revisin guide or whatever, cover the information, then attempt to copy out what you read without looking. Kepp doing that till you can remember all the key bits. Before bed you can read a revision guide aloud to yourself just for that extra nudge, but that's got to be ontop of what your already doing. You can stick sticky notes around the house so when your doing normal things like opening the fridge or getting a glasss of water, youll see a small bit of information which is stored in your subconscious. When you revise, chew gum or suck on a breath mint so your brain associates the minty flavour with the information, so if you chew gum or suck a mint dring the exam, the information will come back to you more easily.
    Hope this helps you out!

ReputationRep:
    Also you can try teaching a topic to someone, and doing rapid fire test rounds with key words or statistics with your friends. This works well for humanities and languages in my experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Namenious)
    so for GCSE's i have printed off the specification for every subject, gone through every single point and made notes on it. this means that for like every subject i have 20+ pages of notes. should i just learn all these pages? or condense them into flash cards or much smaller amounts???
    thanks
    Before doing a paper of the subject you want to study do a quick skim of your notes in like 15-30 minutes (or however long it takes depending on your notes).
    Do the past paper and mark it.
    The topics which you struggled on in the paper, read through your notes (as well as study/revision guides) of that topic properly so you understand it to the max.

Got me A/A*s.

ReputationRep:
    For maths - this link has all the pastpapers including 2015 june and nov and many other resources like what topics etc: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3906471
    use the tsr learning resources will help you to find the resources easily :http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/g/resources?
    Also you can make your own study resources: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/g/make
    you can find all the things on this link - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/learning.php
    revision techniques- https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/g/d...ow-to-revise-5
    These methods pretty go with all the subjects...
    Method of revision:
    - mindmaps
    - teaching others
    - recording yourself and listening back to it
    - repeating things aloud
    - revising with classmates
    - drawing diagrams
    - making a song of it
    - a silly story to help it stick
    - making notes from textbook then summarising those further into your own words (try having a limit on number of words to stick to key points)
    - writing things over and over again
    - using colour
    Make a list of all the topics, prioritise them by ordering in terms of which you need more help with/need more time to go over, then tackle each one
    If there is something you're particularly stuck on, ask the teacher for help!Get practise from exam and practise questions! It will help to reinforce things and find your weaker areas.
    hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Namenious)
    so for GCSE's i have printed off the specification for every subject, gone through every single point and made notes on it. this means that for like every subject i have 20+ pages of notes. should i just learn all these pages? or condense them into flash cards or much smaller amounts???thanks
    Mathematics: All I can say is past paper questions. Only start doing the past paper questions once you are sure you have covered every topic.
    • Work through the ExamSolutions videos if you ever feel you feel like you are stuck on any section
    • Feel free to post in the TSR GCSE Maths Forum if you are unsure about something (make sure provide the question and what you have already done)
    • Do every single past paper
    • Mark your papers and see where you have gone wrong
    • Look to do IGCSE papers once you have done all of the GCSE ones
    Science: I used to record myself talking and listen to it when commuting or something so I remembered every little detail. Yet again, once I knew all the content I did past papers.

English Language: Practise your writing skills, reading also helps build your vocabulary. I found it really useful to read the newspaper daily and analysing them.

English Literature: Make sure you are confident with the books you are studying. Try and summarise the books you know in bullet points and check if you have covered each important section. Analyse every single thing in the poem, each little bit has a meaning. Try to compare different poems.

Not too sure which other subjects you do?

Other than that, you could create a revision timetable and work from there. Be sure to give yourself enough break time. For instance work for 2 hours and break for an hour.

Keep all distractions away from you. Give someone your phone and tell them to only give it to you during your breaks. Be really strict with yourself, so if you miss out on an hour of revision time make sure to put that hour in some other day in your revision timetable as forfeit.

You can always use the TSR Study Resources, pretty helpful revision material on there. Also there is a very useful Study Planner on TSR which you may use, if you find that timetables are something you don't stick to then make a list of things to do per day/week and tick it off as you go along.

Hope this helps.

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.