Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, in October I'm (hopefully - grades pending!) going to university and was wondering if it's worth me getting a new laptop.

I currently have a 13 inch Macbook Air, which I love. It's a mid-2012 model so it's about 4 years old now. It still works fine, except the battery life has decreased quite significantly, it's only 35% now and says that will last another hour. The battery condition does say 'replace soon' however, but I don't really take it anywhere apart from school where I can charge it, so it's not a huge issue for me.

I'm thinking of upgrading to a Macbook Pro, preferably 13 inch with retina display. I'm not sure about the storage I'd need though, I'm a bit clueless with computers. From a quick glance on eBay, I could be able to sell my Air for £350-450, and a Pro would cost £1000 for 128GB storage, add £200 for 256GB. I'd ideally want to pay for it myself, I'm hoping to get a paid internship for 8 weeks which should easily cover this.

I don't really want to move away from Macbooks, I find them so easy to use and I'm just so used to them now. My thinking was that maybe it's better to get a new laptop now that will last me the entirety of university, instead of swapping laptops 1 or 2 years into my degree.

Thank you!

Tl;dr - want new laptop, old one works perfectly well except battery is crap. Is it worth getting one before I start uni or should I wait?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by olivia30)
    Hi everyone, in October I'm (hopefully - grades pending!) going to university and was wondering if it's worth me getting a new laptop.

I currently have a 13 inch Macbook Air, which I love. It's a mid-2012 model so it's about 4 years old now. It still works fine, except the battery life has decreased quite significantly, it's only 35% now and says that will last another hour. The battery condition does say 'replace soon' however, but I don't really take it anywhere apart from school where I can charge it, so it's not a huge issue for me.

I'm thinking of upgrading to a Macbook Pro, preferably 13 inch with retina display. I'm not sure about the storage I'd need though, I'm a bit clueless with computers. From a quick glance on eBay, I could be able to sell my Air for £350-450, and a Pro would cost £1000 for 128GB storage, add £200 for 256GB. I'd ideally want to pay for it myself, I'm hoping to get a paid internship for 8 weeks which should easily cover this.

I don't really want to move away from Macbooks, I find them so easy to use and I'm just so used to them now. My thinking was that maybe it's better to get a new laptop now that will last me the entirety of university, instead of swapping laptops 1 or 2 years into my degree.

Thank you!

Tl;dr - want new laptop, old one works perfectly well except battery is crap. Is it worth getting one before I start uni or should I wait?
    this is my laptop i use for uni
    https://www.mutual.uk.com/product/10...oard-E2ACESW10

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawtyb)
    this is my laptop i use for uni
    https://www.mutual.uk.com/product/10...oard-E2ACESW10
    Thanks but I said that I'm not looking to move away from MacBooks

ReputationRep:
    Thanks but I said that I'm not looking to move away from MacBooks
    sorry skim read it haha!
    but yea id get one solely for uni

ReputationRep:

Thank you!

I would at the very least wait until you've got your place so you can get the full student discount of around 15%. If your current MacBook is still working ok, then I'd wait and see whether you think you really need a new one when you get to university, there's no rush to get one early - you can always keep hold of your money and get one later.

Last, there's no advantage to having the exact same computer for any particular reason throughout your degree, if you decide to upgrade to a newer MacBook while you're there, then moving files over is pretty easy and would only take a few hours at most.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.