I know which one i'm going to now though
    Which one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDoh)
    Which one?
    oxford!!!

ReputationRep:
    dont go to oxford...it's full of stuck up fools :P

Let me sum it up for you, as my biology teachers once so elegantly put it.

People who go to oxford and cambridge are all very intelligent. But people who go to oxford tend to be people who end up running the country. They become boring politicians who argue and debate lots. People who go to cambridge spy on the country. They become spies because you have to be intelligent, cool, witty, and all the ladies love ya! So put simply: cambridge is for the cool intelligent people.

This is an unbiased view, as my biology teacher applied to neither oxford or cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    I found cambridge potential students were a lot more snobbish. At oxford the first two questions were generally "what subject are you looking at?" and "what's your name?" whereas at cambridge i was asked quite a few times "what do your parents do?" (as if it's relevant??) which i wasn't asked at all at oxford! I'd much rather mix with friendlier people even if it's not meant to be quite as good for my course, or as well regarded (though i think they are about equal really)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    dont go to oxford...it's full of stuck up fools :P

Let me sum it up for you, as my biology teachers once so elegantly put it.

People who go to oxford and cambridge are all very intelligent. But people who go to oxford tend to be people who end up running the country. They become boring politicians who argue and debate lots. People who go to cambridge spy on the country. They become spies because you have to be intelligent, cool, witty, and all the ladies love ya! So put simply: cambridge is for the cool intelligent people.

This is an unbiased view, as my biology teacher applied to neither oxford or cambridge.
    Interesting that, with me wanting to study a political course! The women in Cambridge said to me at the time I would suggest Oxford if you want an out and out politics degree, this one is much more social based, which hopefully i will enjoy. Also there's no H-Mat to take for Cambridge :s

With regards to snobs; at Cambridge I only overheard two, one from St.Pauls and one from Eton, who although clearly uppety fools, would be fun to debate against. Oxford however was a snob free city in my experience, although i must reiterate, my experience only. If you let the idea of snobs bother you, life in the city, or anywhere for that matter will be hard!

Jason

ReputationRep:
    indeed. My experience of oxford vs cambridge CURRENT students (not prospective ones) are that cam students are a lot more friendly, and although they have a "cambridge accent" they're not snobs. Whereas on the other hand, oxford seems to have to many snobby people. I know 4 current students from cam and 3 current students from ox all quite well. Non of the cam students are snobs, yet 2 of the ox students are. So once again, from MY experience, cam is cool, and ox is snobby.

ReputationRep:
    At the Oxbridge conference I went to, all the (very obviously) private school snobs were all clutching Oxford prospectuses. Although I'm sure there are plenty of nice people there too .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acaila)
    At the Oxbridge conference I went to, all the (very obviously) private school snobs were all clutching Oxford prospectuses. Although I'm sure there are plenty of nice people there too .
    Absolutely, in Hertford I met a guy who went to the only remaining all boys school in Scotland, who happened to be one of the nicest guys I've met in ages - especially in comparison to some of the snobs in York.

Apart from being like a cat in a milk factory when girls went past [I blame his schooling] he was actually pretty normal as well [apart from the accent obviosuly].

I've not even done my personal statement and this damn site is making me nervous!

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.