Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Where in the rankings would you look down upon? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Can't say id look down on anyone for pursuing a degree they love. That said, anything below 5-10th place for their specific subject loses the wow factor.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dinasaurus)
    I don't want to cause hate by naming names but I applied to a uni, my mother hadn't heard of and then randomly she started asking me about it today and saying where is it ranked?

She presumed this uni was ranked around 100th and was on a similar level to a certain local university.

I mean, I'm not hating on unis ranked at 100 or below but the uni I'm referring to is around 30 on some of the tables I've seen, I know tables aren't everything but 30 to 100 is a distinct difference right?
    The way I work out whether a uni is generally decent or not is by its name...

it's decent if:
    1) it doesn't have anything added after/before the name of the town/city (excl. LSE, KCL, you get the drift)
    2) it isn't named after a county/district (SURREY IS AN EXCEPTION OKAY)
    3) its situation is somewhere most people have heard of

I obviously don't use this to choose unis, but it can give you an idea...

'Thames Valley Uni' -> obviously a no no
    'Sheffield Hallam' -> hell no
    'Falmouth Uni' -> familiar to some, but not to most

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamestg)
    The way I work out whether a uni is generally decent or not is by its name...

it's decent if:
    1) it doesn't have anything added after/before the name of the town/city (excl. LSE, KCL, you get the drift)
    2) it isn't named after a county/district (SURREY IS AN EXCEPTION OKAY)
    3) its situation is somewhere most people have heard of

I obviously don't use this to choose unis, but it can give you an idea...

'Thames Valley Uni' -> obviously a no no
    'Sheffield Hallam' -> hell no
    'Falmouth Uni' -> familiar to some, but not to most
    I guess that works generally but there's a few exceptions. I take it you go to Surrey?

ReputationRep:
    I guess that works generally but there's a few exceptions. I take it you go to Surrey?
    I don't, but I hold it in generally high esteem.

ReputationRep:
    I won't even give someone the time of day unless they went to Cambridge fwah fwah fwah fwah fwah

ReputationRep:
    I don't want to cause hate by naming names but I applied to a uni, my mother hadn't heard of and then randomly she started asking me about it today and saying where is it ranked?

She presumed this uni was ranked around 100th and was on a similar level to a certain local university.

I mean, I'm not hating on unis ranked at 100 or below but the uni I'm referring to is around 30 on some of the tables I've seen, I know tables aren't everything but 30 to 100 is a distinct difference right?
    Anything below Top 10 and you may as well lay down and rot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Death Grips)
    Anything below Top 10 and you may as well lay down and rot
    I'll start writing my will now.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I honestly believe any of the top 40-45 unis (by national rankings) are sufficient. Once you dip below 60, the quality drops immensely.

However, it depends on the course. Product Design at Brunel is 100x better than Product Design at Edinburgh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CreamyChocolate)
    Perhaps they'd teach you how to write properly.
    Nearly a very good insult, but you forgot we're on a forum and not a legal document :lol: :facepalm:
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by neal95)
    aston is sick for pharmacy and business

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ComputerMaths97)
    Nearly a very good insult, but you forgot we're on a forum and not a legal document :lol: :facepalm:
    You forgot a full stop at the end of that sentence, mate - might as well withdraw from Cambridge.

/sarcasm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    You forgot a full stop at the end of that sentence, mate - might as well withdraw from Cambridge.

/sarcasm
    Oh no, I'll email them now. Hopefully they're not too distressed to hear of the conclusion I have come to. Thanks!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.