Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I know a lot of guys who wouldn't even attempt getting with a girl who is 10/10 because they feel their chances are so slow that it's just not worth the embarrassment and rejection.

Obviously the fact you're picky probably explains a lot of things too.

If I were you I'd focus on your career, you never know who you might meet and the likelihood is that they'll have similar interests as you because they've chosen the same career path, plus you can save money to move else where and open new doors so to speak.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blondie987)
    I'm 19 and single, it doesn't really bother me to be honest, no one's ever been interested in me to even have a crush on me, I'm sure you'll find someone op, you just need to stay optimistic and put yourself or there
    I'm sure there was, or would have been, at least one guy or girl in the past. Maybe even now! Do a little digging. You may find the person of your dreams in the process!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinemither)
    I'm sure there was, or would have been, at least one guy or girl in the past. Maybe even now! Do a little digging. You may find the person of your dreams in the process!
    Thanks! You're always so positive on tsr lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Tbh honest I am not a great at texting, I'm better at phone call conversations.
    Because I don't really know how to respond to text messages like
    "hey, what are you up to" or "how are you " and they reply with vague stuff like "i'm good' "nothing much"

I just feel that ends a conversation.

The other problem is the only people I ever find attractive are always outside the country, which makes starting a relationship impossible.
    Standard tips for upholding conversations:
    Them: How are you?
    You: I'm okay thanks, and you?

Them: What have you gotten up to today?
    You: Nothing much really. I went out shopping with a few friends and got myself a few new bits of clothing and a pair of shoes. What about you?

The key to any conversation is to continually ask questions. If you say 'I'm good' and leave it, what are they supposed to reply with? "Okay, cool."

Your lack of response in a conversation is more likely than not to be the reason for people to not message you back. It conveys the idea that you don't care, for two reasons.
    A) You don't care enough about the conversation to give a meaningful response
    B) It seems you don't care about a person enough to bother putting the effort in to writing a response for them.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! You're always so positive on tsr lol
    I do try! I have recently seen you looking or seeming down about not having a partner. Temptation was to post a thread confessing the love for you, though due to my imability to love and knowing your sexual orientation, it wouldn't be fair on you, or ethically correct. But I just want you to know that people out there love you and care about you. If they don't, then I guess I'm starting a trend!

ReputationRep:
    I do try! I have recently seen you looking or seeming down about not having a partner. Temptation was to post a thread confessing the love for you, though due to my imability to love and knowing your sexual orientation, it wouldn't be fair on you, or ethically correct. But I just want you to know that people out there love you and care about you. If they don't, then I guess I'm starting a trend!
    Haha, you're a really positive influence on tsr, please keep it up!

ReputationRep:
    Haha, you're a really positive influence on tsr, please keep it up!
    I intend to! Oh, Blondie, guess what

ReputationRep:
    I intend to! Oh, Blondie, guess what
    What?

ReputationRep:
    What?
    Some stupid lug (Points to self) loves you! Platonically speaking. I have actually grown to like you from following you on TSR. You're really insightful and intelligent. Makes you stand a rut up the ladder higher than a large proportion of people here.

ReputationRep:
    Some stupid lug (Points to self) loves you! Platonically speaking. I have actually grown to like you from following you on TSR. You're really insightful and intelligent. Makes you stand a rut up the ladder higher than a large proportion of people here.
    Aw, thank you again! I really appreciate your posts on here as well, some of my posts are defo truly lacking but that's so nice of you to say!

ReputationRep:
    Aw, thank you again! I really appreciate your posts on here as well, some of my posts are defo truly lacking but that's so nice of you to say!
    Nah, it's fine! No point in making everything we say ridiculously intelligent. Everyone can be sharp or dull at times, so there's no need to worry.

ReputationRep:
    Get a hobby. Seriously. It will help distract you and give you something else that makes you happy

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Being single is awesome! You should just enjoy life and never mind about statuses. Whatever will happen will happen. S'alright!

ReputationRep:
    I honestly do not understand how a girl can be single in this day and age with the amount of thirsty guys out there. You must be very picky or have stratospheric standards.

Have you considered keeping rabbits? (cats are crap)

(Original post by 999tigger)
    I have one friend who if single alwats agrees to go on a date with anyone who asks, just as a learning experience and keeping an open mind.
    I like that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I feel like i Just need to rant somewhere.

But I am just tired of being single.

I have been single my whole life, I am currently 23 years old. (female btw).

I am not shallow or even concerned about the way I look, but people tell me I am very pretty (heard several guys say I am a 10/10).

I don't have a personality of a rock, so I do not understand why I have been single my whole life.

Guys do not even bother, after texting for lets say weeks, then suddenly we stop talking. Guys tell me I'm their dream girl, and wife material blah blah, but nobody ever seems to make a move.

I must admit I can be very picky. And I live in a city that limits the choices I have.

I don't know whether to just forget it and be;

1) single and bitter with 20 cats
    2) Just focus on making money and being successful
    3) join every dating app (any recommendations? loool)

All jokes aside, any advice guys and gals?
    A few decent suggestions have already been made, so I suggest you read up and keep them in mind.

"Being single" is an issue that has plagued me for about a year now, so I'll share what I've been told and hopefully offer you some of my own advice based on experience.

1) At 23 years of age, depending on the type of environment you are in you may find it more difficult to date than most. I'm at university, so for the most part the people I hang around with are between the ages of 18-20. Depending on what YOU are looking for, the people that you come across may not be wanting the same thing. I'm 23, and a lot of the girls around here wouldn't date me because I'm mature (focused on goals etc) whereas they just want to have fun (even if they do end up moaning about "****boys" every hour).

2) If you are indeed very pretty, then some men will be "intimidated" by your looks. I know that if I saw a 10/10, I would automatically assume they were out of my league. Not due to a lack of confidence, but because I would assume that these women would get hit on all the time by men much more attractive than myself, and/or they would be fed up of it by now. That said, if you're being described as a 10/10 let that be the confidence you need to say to yourself "I can get any man that I want", because chances are that you can!

3) You say that you've had men speak to you for weeks, but no one has made the first move. Sometimes in these scenarios it is best if YOU make the first move. Again, if I just so happened to be talking to a 10/10 I would assume many men would be after her; if I'd spent weeks talking to her and nothing had happened, I would assume that I was not a priority (read: Romantic Interest) and would back off.

4) Everyone has their preferences, me included, but what I tend to find is that because women have a lot more options than men when it comes to dating, they become too picky. I'm not passing judgement on yourself or women in general, but I have witnessed female friends using Tinder and despite the majority of men being good-looking, smart, funny etc...they still swiped left. It may be best to let go of your expectations and simply go with the flow. Again, depending on what you're looking for, you may not end up with a model boyfriend but you may end up with one that has a heart of gold and will love you for you.

Unfortunately I am neither female nor success in the dating world, so from personal experience I can't really offer much to help you. What I can suggest is this, however;

- If you like a man, SHOW IT. We are so used to rejection, games playing etc that a lot of the time we become numb or oblivious to girl's often subtle advances. Suggest meeting up for a coffee, be playful with him...anything to generate some sort of romantic/sexual advancement.

- Talk! Seriously, don't be shy. If you say something stupid, the vast majority of men won't care. I can tell you that it frustrates me to no end when I get a match on Tinder or am just conversing with a girl in general, only for them to stop making an effort. This goes for dating sites and real life; be cautious, by all means, but be available.

Hope that helps, and heck, if you're up for it send me a PM and we can chat.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 10, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.