Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

So. GCSEs coming up. I have good predicteds, I started revising, but I feel like I am going to have a nervous breakdown. As the title says, finding everything really hard. I dont want this post to seem like some whiny little ***** who isn't actually doing badly, but I dont think I am doing very well. I have a problem with stress, and GCSEs are really taking their tolls. I worry about almost everything. I have been to a councillor but the school one is in lessons which I dont feel I can miss. I dont want to fail. At the moment, I have set my pass grade as A. I panic as well. I stay up at night. I watch videos then feel like an utter retard afterwards for doing that. In subjects lke french, for which I was predicted an A I am panicing because I am finding it harder and harder. I need to do a CA in 4 days.
    Please may someone give some advice on how to combat this, i hope it wasnt too ranty.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry - I'm here for you :hugs: I get how you feel...I do the same a lot of the time tbh. If you want you can PM me whenever you feel down or stressed. I have a few threads that might help if you wanna look at them - one is specifically targeted at trying to deal with stress.

Btw it wasn't too 'ranty' and I believe you with everything you've said.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    When you feel like you're getting overworked, be sure to take deeper breaths and make sure you're breathing out for a longer period than breathing in (in 4 seconds, out for 7) - do this for a while to get you a bit more calmed down.

Please do not exert pressure on yourself to get an A in every subject; whilst this is a great target to aim for, I feel like you are setting yourself a very high standard to aspire to and you will be disappointed if you don't do better. So just make sure you're saying ''i shall try to achieve As in my subjects, but I will not be disheartened if I do worse as I tried my best'' instead of ''I must get A''.

Most importantly, give yourself a break dude. You are overstressing the importance of GCSEs and you need to recognise that your mental and physical wellbeing are more important than these exams; and by ruining such wellbeing, you increase your chances of making mistakes. You need to try to remain calm and remove negative, over-arching thoughts such as "it's too hard and getting harder, I can't do this" by challenging them.

You totally got this, just try to take it slower.

Thank you very much! I just feel so worried about these exams. I dont want to get bad grades! How do you cope? Recently I havent been sleeping very well either, so I will get a good nights sleep tonight and probably post here tmmrw! Also please may you post some thread links if possible! Thank yiu!

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you want to get bad grades; what do you think will happen and what are you defining as a ''bad grade'', is there any evidence you will get a bad grade, do you think you have revised enough? Ask yourself all these questions and see if your concern is a genuine one - if all of the evidence points elsewhere, you may need to reconsider whether your worry is genuine.

I don't know how I cope really; but I recognise that as long as I prepare enough for exams and try my hardest, things will turn out okay. And that anything below an A does not make me a failure

Good sleep, drinking lots of water, exercise (even just walking), eating better, keeping a routine are all good things to do.

Please remember exams do not define you - a grade does not indicate your worth as a person and you should not place all of your selfworth into what letter you get on a piece of paper. So many students do this and it breaks my heart to see people start crying because they got a ''not so good'' grade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thank you very much! I just feel so worried about these exams. I dont want to get bad grades! How do you cope? Recently I havent been sleeping very well either, so I will get a good nights sleep tonight and probably post here tmmrw! Also please may you post some thread links if possible! Thank yiu!
    Probably already heard this but have you tried drawing up a revision timetable?

It's really important to schedule in recreational activities during revision. If you push yourself too hard you'll burn out. Don't feel guilty about going out with friends or just watching tv. In fact have you tried talking to your friends about the pressure? Maybe they feel similar. Perhaps you could do revision sessions with them? I read a study yesterday about how the best way to learn is to test yourself - try getting your mum/dad/sibling/friends to ask you a question for you to answer - if you can explain to them then you should be able to explain during the actual exam.

Sorry if this is useless/you already know it all.

ReputationRep:
    Beta-Blockers. Go to your GP.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So. GCSEs coming up. I have good predicteds, I started revising, but I feel like I am going to have a nervous breakdown. As the title says, finding everything really hard. I dont want this post to seem like some whiny little ***** who isn't actually doing badly, but I dont think I am doing very well. I have a problem with stress, and GCSEs are really taking their tolls. I worry about almost everything. I have been to a councillor but the school one is in lessons which I dont feel I can miss. I dont want to fail. At the moment, I have set my pass grade as A. I panic as well. I stay up at night. I watch videos then feel like an utter retard afterwards for doing that. In subjects lke french, for which I was predicted an A I am panicing because I am finding it harder and harder. I need to do a CA in 4 days.
    Please may someone give some advice on how to combat this, i hope it wasnt too ranty.
    You could try an extension like StayFocusd, it limits your time spent on time wasting sites (like youtube) you set a time and then once that time is up, it'll block the site for you so you can't watch videos for example.
    Ask help from your teachers/classmates on French :yes:
    You might also find it helpful talking to someone? A friend? teacher? parent? sibling?

ReputationRep:
    Sleep is key... set aside 5 hours plus napping time and you should feel more calm than usual.

If your studying methods are mot likely the reason behind this...
    [ninja prediction] chances are you are doing bulk studying (e.g. an hour or more) at once and that's definitely gonna do something to your stressing.

I suggest small bursts of studying... but that could still give you a toll when test day comes near (from experience)
    All I can say try your best to relax... sleep and eat <--- also eating helps a lot (energy wise... not in terms of stress )

ReputationRep:
    I was in your position a year ago-I can safely say that gcse stress will be hell but you will get through it one day at a time. I too said anything lower than an A wasnt good enough and that's fine, you don't need to lower your goals for anyone else but remember what will be will be. At the end of the day your gcse's only matter so much-try and relax occasionally inbetween studying. Remind yourself that you are trying your best and no matter what grades you come away with you know that under the stressful circumstances of exams you gave everything you could x hope that's helpful

ReputationRep:
    Hi OP, I get how how you are feeling. What's your study style like? If you have short sharp sessions (e.g. 25 mins then a 5 min break), your brain works harder- first 10 mins and last 10 mins as break near, with a small dip in concentration in the middle. This is more effective than a one hour session as you have a larger dip in concentration. (This is proper legit science! Learnt this from a talk in school that didn't turn out to be pointless )This way you may be able to cover more content in less time, if it's the time and content that is stressing you out.

I can give more revision tips if you like

Organize and plan your time out so you feel more in control and less overwhelmed. Also have downtime in between and keep time for your hobbies, to distract and relax you, as if you do too much studying, it won't be that effective and may make you feel more stressed.

Also maybe try and put that pressure in a positive way to motivate you to study and work hard.

I know how you feel when stuff seems to become harder, but that's because you may be putting to much pressure on yourself which is making it harder than it is. When it feels really tough,focus on your breath a little while, to relax, and maybe doodle a little or chat to a friend a little bit to make you feel calmer. Also speak to a teacher in topics you are struggling at try cgp and useful online sources when you feel stuck. Or go over a topic with a friend.

I am guilty of binge watching videos to late at night as well (my video watching journey starts of ok but then ends up so weird! I learnt how to make a complicated Oreo phn case at 1am, which I will probably never make!) my advice is to get yourself in the mood of going to bed, e.g. Switch of gadgets 20-30 mins before you go to bed and maybe read a chapter of a book to help you feel sleepy.
    Also there are relaxation techniques like tensing your muscles one by one and then releasing, so you body feels really relaxed. Also maybe do a lil bith of laying down yoga like 3 part breathing- it makes me feel sleepy!)

Hope this helps! And feel free to pm me

ReputationRep:
    Hey! Xx I'm sorry to hear you're feeling this way. GCSE's are a really stressful time (I'm sure you're sick of hearing that!) The other responses have all made some really good suggestions so in addition I just wanted to say I'm here for you too!

Please don't feel guilty or abnormal for feeling so stressed and upset about everything, you are totally normal.

It really annoys me the way they structure school counselling! I feel like schools still have a long way to go in catering to and educating about the mental health of their students. I remember having a particularly hard time in Year 10, and the school counsellor I saw was - bless her - really patronising and useless! She had a big plastic tub of buttons in various colours and sizes and I had to select which one I felt represented me! I missed valuable lessons for that. I remember also feeling embarrassed and awkward and lying to my friends and teachers about why I missed the lesson, which is ridiculous now and I shouldn't have had to fell that way but there is still a stigma there.

With your predicted grades it sounds as if you are definitely on track. If you don't though, I promise you it's not the end of the world! It's been quite a few years now since I took mine so I had to look it up online about retakes, but if you don't get the grades you were hoping for, you do have the option to resit them.

(Found this info on the Bbc site)

If you were close to the grade you needed, you may be able resit as early as November or January.

For modular GCSEs, you can resit individual units without retaking the whole thing, as long as you resit at least 40% of the qualification. But if you do worse in the resit, you can't use the grades from your first attempt.
    If you are resitting several subjects or you need to improve your results significantly, colleges and schools are more likely to advise you to wait until next June.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You need five A star to C grade gcses to be able to move on. I am twenty eight and I absolutely promise you that nobody is going to judge you on your gcses as you go through life. They are literally just a means to an end to get onto A levels, btecs, nvqs, whatever.

Anxiety is often triggered by setting unrealistic goals and then panicking that you won't be able to achieve them. I know because I have anxiety about different things.

You need to do two things:

Set realistic goals. There is only so much control you can have over guaranteeing that you get an A in everything.

Know that you only need five A star to C grades to get to the next stage and try your best.

You must stop panicking that something bad will happen as a result of your gsce results. No matter what the results are, you will have lots of options available to you.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 24, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.