Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who does the questions at the back of the paper first? + exam question Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have a mock c2 test coming up, and I was wondering whether, doing the questions at the back is actually a good method, since I find those harder and I seem to run out of steam by the end of the paper.

Just wanted to ask because trying new methods during (mock) exams is quite taboo to me, since I always get nervous and mess up even more, because of doubt, so if anyone could share their experience that would be great.

During c2 practise tests, there's always that one really difficult maths question that is worth 8 marks. Is there no way of getting 95 and above UMS, without answering all the questions confidently? To get better at these harder questions, where should I get questions to practise? Textbook or more papers? I can do textbook ones quite well but it's those very hard random ones that pop up at the end that confuse me.

I realluy want to get 100 UMS but I'm always losing too many marks just because of one question

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JulieEdiz)
    I have a mock c2 test coming up, and I was wondering whether, doing the questions at the back is actually a good method, since I find those harder and I seem to run out of steam by the end of the paper.

Just wanted to ask because trying new methods during (mock) exams is quite taboo to me, since I always get nervous and mess up even more, because of doubt, so if anyone could share their experience that would be great.

During c2 practise tests, there's always that one really difficult maths question that is worth 8 marks. Is there no way of getting 95 and above UMS, without answering all the questions confidently? To get better at these harder questions, where should I get questions to practise? Textbook or more papers? I can do textbook ones quite well but it's those very hard random ones that pop up at the end that confuse me.

I realluy want to get 100 UMS but I'm always losing too many marks just because of one question
    I've always tried to do the questions in order but starting with the last one might be a good idea; if you get stuck you will have more time to think about it while you do the other questions.

But there's the chance that you could fall into the trap of spending too long on it if you get stuck, not leaving yourself enough time for the other questions. Just try a couple of past papers in timed conditions to see which method makes you feel most at ease.

I move on as soon as I get stuck becasuse i'd rather secure all the 'easy marks', then divide my remaining time fairly between the questions I have left. Maths papers can be quite predictable, so after you've done more past papers you will probably find the harder questions a lot more straight forward, try not to think about them as hard questions, it might trick you into overcomplicating them...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JulieEdiz)

I always used to think this was a smart idea, until a teacher a few weeks ago said something to me.

Surely it'd be better to quickly do all of the questions that are easy marks of that you know you can do first, and guarantee that you get those marks, than to focus on a question which is hard which you may score ~half marks for and then leave yourself with not enough time to complete the easy questions.

Just a thought

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.