Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who does the questions at the back of the paper first? + exam technique question watch

ReputationRep:
    1. I have a mock c2 test coming up, and I was wondering whether, doing the questions at the back is actually a good method, since I find those harder and I seem to run out of steam by the end of the paper.

Just wanted to ask because trying new methods during (mock) exams is quite taboo to me, since I always get nervous and mess up even more, because of doubt, so if anyone could share their experience that would be great.

ReputationRep:
    I just do the questions in order. :dontknow:
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    I just work through them in order. If I spend too long reading a question and not knowing how to do it, or getting stuck partway through, I move on to the next question. I just picture it as each question being harder than the next and just warming up.

ReputationRep:
    i remember people doing this at GCSE in my school but i never really understood it, if you get stuck on a question try to write down what its asking you, and what you know about that topic area, then try to approach it from there

ReputationRep:
    My strong advice is to do them in order

ReputationRep:
    Same as SeanFM really..

I do them in order and then skip those I spend far too much time on because I think they're designed to get progressively harder.

Based on that theory, while it may be intuitive to do the last question since your mind is fresh and ready for any math question, you might be panicky and a bit dazed by a beast question.

The first few questions are quite nice questions and warm you up for later on.

In fact I find that doing all the easy questions possible first is easier because there's only like one or two hard ones and I can focus all the rest of my time onto them rather spending too much time on it in the beginning and then realising how much time I've wasted

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your replies! xD

Does anyone have any advice in regards to the 2nd question? It's probably more important.

[Edit] Will move 2nd question to a seperate thread, so people can find it easier.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.