Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so I'm applying for student finance and I've reached the part where you apply for a higher amount of maintenance loan based on your household income. However, while my mother does have a partner (engaged) who lives with us he will not be contributing in any way towards my survival at university.

So, my question is what should I put into the application? Should I say my mother is single and so only her income would be sent in? Should he say his income is £0 so as to not prevent me from getting any additional money?

The low-down is that my mother's fiancé contributes to the household income but due to having kids of his own will not be contributing to my maintenance at university (and with me moving out I need all the money I can get). So basically, how would I go about doing this so I don't get a much lesser/not at all increased maintenance loan, seeing as I'm not actually benefiting in any way from his income?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by DannyWH)
    Okay, so I'm applying for student finance and I've reached the part where you apply for a higher amount of maintenance loan based on your household income. However, while my mother does have a partner (engaged) who lives with us he will not be contributing in any way towards my survival at university.

So, my question is what should I put into the application? Should I say my mother is single and so only her income would be sent in? Should he say his income is £0 so as to not prevent me from getting any additional money?

The low-down is that my mother's fiancé contributes to the household income but due to having kids of his own will not be contributing to my maintenance at university (and with me moving out I need all the money I can get). So basically, how would I go about doing this so I don't get a much lesser/not at all increased maintenance loan, seeing as I'm not actually benefiting in any way from his income?
    It's very likely that SFE will consider your mum's fiance as part of your parental household. PLEASE don't get him to lie about his income - SFE check with HMRC and so he'll get into all sorts of trouble for lying.

His other children will be taken into account when assessing your household income
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    (Original post by DannyWH)

Hi DannyWH

If your mums partner lives with her, you must declare this and include his household income. Please ask any sponsors to put their income down as accurate as possible as we do send it to HMRC for confirmation and if it does not match up we will require evidence to be sent in.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark Lee - SFE Official Adviser)
    Hi DannyWH

If your mums partner lives with her, you must declare this and include his household income. Please ask any sponsors to put their income down as accurate as possible as we do send it to HMRC for confirmation and if it does not match up we will require evidence to be sent in.

Thanks
    Okay, will do!
    The only thing I take issue with is you saying I should ask sponsors to put their income down, as my mothers partner will not be one.

But alas, ce'st la vie,we'll see how it goes! Thank you both for responding

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.