Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Things you struggle with mostly while learning to drive Watch

• TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    My mum has her first driving lesson this Thursday and my instructor said I can sit in the back to try and give my mum some extra confidence. This'll be interesting :laugh:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Haven't had a driving lesson since last week because between me and my driving instructor being quite busy / Ill / work lessons have been cancelled / re arranged this week a total of four times. :giggle:

Whoops.

Hopefully it's better this week? She now owes like three lessons in total. :hide:

ReputationRep:
    My driving instructor is what I struggle with the most. He makes negative remarks and yells at me which really affects my confidence and in turn my driving. I'm a quiet person to begin with so I usually don't talk back, but on the rare occassions that I muster up enough willpower to explain to him that I'd want him to be quiet and he actually listens, I drive loads better! A lot of the time I feel like I actually do not want him in the car with me, that I'm only paying him to let me drive his car.

I am quiet but there were times when I'd come within a hair's breadth of yelling back at him or sharply telling him to shut up, but keep thinking it'd be wrong because he's an old man.

When I re-start my lessons with him this time round, I plan on yelling back. No choice really; can't let any more of my cash go to waste, I've spent loads.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cosmic angel)
    My driving instructor is what I struggle with the most. He makes negative remarks and yells at me which really affects my confidence and in turn my driving. I'm a quiet person to begin with so I usually don't talk back, but on the rare occassions that I muster up enough willpower to explain to him that I'd want him to be quiet and he actually listens, I drive loads better! A lot of the time I feel like I actually do not want him in the car with me, that I'm only paying him to let me drive his car.

I am quiet but there were times when I'd come within a hair's breadth of yelling back at him or sharply telling him to shut up, but keep thinking it'd be wrong because he's an old man.

When I re-start my lessons with him this time round, I plan on yelling back. No choice really; can't let any more of my cash go to waste, I've spent loads.
    Its common to disagree with your instructor. I think.I went for a second opinion to others which had passed the test recently, when I heard, I enquired with them a few things that instructor was saying to me and they told me it looks like your instructor wants you to fail for more money to him if he has to take you again after a failed test. So I switched leaving the independent instructor from a new driving school to a renowned driving school it cost more with them but I thought many people pass it will be worth it, as I was with them before anyway for 15 hours but switched as our test centres in our area have such a long waiting list if you don't want to forget you have to have a lesson each week and the hours tend to pile up, so I switched to him but what I found with him is I mistrusted what he was telling me, after discussions with others that passed also my own doubts as he was telling me things, also he was unprofessional 3 times he was supposed to take me for a lesson and without calling me to cancel he just didn't turn up, I was the one chasing him then 4 days later he will call me back and we would rearrange my lesson, so for me it was switch or end up failing with him I felt it was one month remaining to my test, I needed someone more reliable so I switched.Something else he wasn't giving me written progress reports, that's also important. By the way the disagreements about certain aspects that are required in driving I later confirmed with my new instructor and the literature that comes with my new driving school (during such and such maneuver what are the actions) so what the first instructor was saying was true. LOL...but I discussed this with my new instructor and he told me he doesn't teach like that students, as he realises the stress involved by doing this by the book and he wouldn't recommend that particular aspect as the car would roll towards the curb and touch the kerb and fail the maneuver but he corrected me in my actions and told me how to use the clutch better so I wasn't relying on handbrake to stop the car from rolling and it helped me.With my new instructor I had disagreements a lot also I shouted back, the new instructor when he saw I did something wrong he would start lecturing right, and whilst I listen to that I will off course do something else wrong presently and he gets more frustrated and shouts more and in the end I replied to him the reason I made a mistake here of not going up-to 40mph and also not changing to 3rd and 4th gear is because I was listening to you and processing what you told me as you were lecturing me of what I did wrong back there. Another time he told me something else just when I was about to go into a left lane and as a result I stayed in the right lane off course it was a mistake but again I was processing what he told me of what I did wrong earlier and then he said you know you are supposed to be in that lane as I told you we are going straight and again I told him I was about to traverse into the left lane thats why I indicated and I ended up cancelling the indicator and I said to him I'm glad the examiner will not be talking in my test because if someone is talking about what you did in the manner of your driving you lose forcus and make more mistakes. When I shouted back at him that its because were were talking about the earlier mistake blah blah blah, he laughed not loudly but I spied with my eye that his eyes were crinkling and he was smiling he realised and shut up, I also told him another time when I was at a zebra crossing it had furniture in the middle a lady all of a suddenly appeared quickly wanted to cross, you must always be ready to watch at zebra or any pedestrain crossing and go through them being ready to stop always, I did that wasn't the problem, I gave her room and she passed when she got to the middle where the furniture was I then proceeded and that started my instructor he said i should have waited until she got to the end of the road otherwise I would fail the test its in the theory that when a zebra crossing doesn't have furniture (yellow and white small pillars) for her to wait in the middle i should wait until she has crossed to the end of the whole road and leaves the crossing before moving away despite she has cleared my side I argued the crossing had furniture, he disagreed it didn't and no matter what even when we came back there again and I showed him he argued no it was a different crossing, he never wanted to admit he was wrong, however he carried on talking about that mistake until he gave me an instruction to parallel park again instead of keeping quiet so I concentrate on this new task he carried on talking about the earlier mistake, in the end what do you think I said to him, I told him shut up you can see I'm in the middle of this maneuver and I'm about to swing the car in this space I need to concentrate on observations and particularly where that kerb is at the back so I don't go in wrong, so he did shut up and got the maneuver wrong off course from someone who could parallel park no problem after my time with my previous instructor I now could not do it because of the negativity he was bringing of criticising me constrantly on everything. I started to tell him shut up and also answer back but keep control of the car and watch for hazards, I think with some instructors this can happen, so I can totally relate to what you are going through. However, I do not feel my instructor was wrong with the mistakes he felt I was making on the whole, okay that one time with the furniture in the middle of the zebra crossing but otherwise everything he was telling me is important to pass the test and my future as a driver. The only problem I had with it is when you tell someone when they are trying to focus on the road (reading road signs etc) they will only make more mistakes presently as they are analysing what they did wrong earlier and processing what you are saying to them. But to the end he understood this and it was mostly amusing him etc and the end of each lesson report again he would write what I did wrong and what I needed to reflect on before the next lesson so definitely next lesson I didn't do that again, so that is a good way of telling me, but that earlier shouting also helped me because I understood where the error happened, if he kept it for my progress report only I would be like when did this happen, so that shouting and lecturing helped me identify where. So trust me your instructor is probably not wrong here driving is complicated so many little aspects you need to be doing constantly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dimple1234)
    X
    Paragraphs are your friend.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Had my lesson today. It went so well. :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Midnightmemories)
    Had my lesson today. It went so well. :woo:
    That's good
    Haven't had a lesson this week as my instructor is off. But I've got a lesson next week so can't complain there

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Got my next lesson on Thursday. More maneuvers and then independent driving. I love independent driving

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spock's Socks)
    Got my next lesson on Thursday. More maneuvers and then independent driving. I love independent driving

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Same

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Mines on Tuesday. Got to love the independent driving.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    My lesson for tomorrow got cancelled bit bummed about it but I'm going out for the day with my mum instead think she's relieved it got cancelled because her lesson was right after mine and it's the first lesson she's had for about 20 odd years

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My lesson for tomorrow got cancelled bit bummed about it but I'm going out for the day with my mum instead think she's relieved it got cancelled because her lesson was right after mine and it's the first lesson she's had for about 20 odd years

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Aw that's a shame :/ aw that's good

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I ended up seeing my instructor while I was out with my mum. She was out with a student and I'm assuming they were driving out of the test centre since that is around the corner from the shop we were heading to and she saw me and waved. The thing is, yesterday she told me she had to cancel because she has a bad tooth abscess and is on strong antibiotics and painkillers so her doctor told her not to drive but she was out today. I know she was best to cancel all her lessons and just keep the tests since they are harder to reschedule though. I'm just a bit bummed that I've missed 2 lessons in a row and my mum still hasn't started her lessons yet when her first one was meant to be 3 weeks ago
    (Original post by ohhello92x)
    Aw that's a shame :/ aw that's good

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I ended up seeing my instructor while I was out with my mum. She was out with a student and I'm assuming they were driving out of the test centre since that is around the corner from the shop we were heading to and she saw me and waved. The thing is, yesterday she told me she had to cancel because she has a bad tooth abscess and is on strong antibiotics and painkillers so her doctor told her not to drive but she was out today. I know she was best to cancel all her lessons and just keep the tests since they are harder to reschedule though. I'm just a bit bummed that I've missed 2 lessons in a row and my mum still hasn't started her lessons yet when her first one was meant to be 3 weeks ago
    Aw that's annoying

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's creeping up soon at Hither green!! $$$$$$$$$$$

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GeorgeAndLennie)
    Hey, all the best of luck with you driving test!
    I passed my test at Hither Green, first time and in the heavy rain last Wednesday! I was extremely nervous, but was confident with my driving abilities.

I had a really nice, chatty examiner- my instructor informed me beforehand that majority of the examiners are friendly and make you feel at ease, well apart from only one guy! My examiner actually gave me the parallel park manoeuvre but the road was too busy, so she told me to drive on and she would give another manoeuvre on another road - so I was dreading the reverse round the corner which was my least favourite. Funnily enough as soon as I pulled out into the road, it was empty but she got me to do a turn in a road on a narrow road which was on a hill - so it was a bit tricky!
    She also made go on the A2 towards central London and drive through Blackheath, I had to do the Clifton and Yorkshire grey roundabout too. And I also had to creep through a width restrictor which is round the corner from the driving test centre
    My test was at 1.35pm and the roads weren't too busy.
    Just be aware of the numerous 20mph roads, plenty of narrow roads, speed bumps, width restrictors, mini roundabouts, a couple one way streets, crossroads and the big three roundabouts.
    All the best of luck with your test, just try to drive with confidence
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by GeorgeAndLennie)
    Not long now!!!! :eek: how are you feeling about your test?

ReputationRep:
    omg I've taken a long break from driving lessons. A few months ago I've taken my test and failed. Since then I haven't had a lesson yet and have re-booked my test for the end of July. I think I'll have three hours worth of lessons just before my test and I'm not sure if this is a good idea?

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I've been taking lessons since last August, have done about 30 lessons! My test is in the first week of June. I'm keeping the test but just increasing the lessons I have weekly. I used to do 1.5 hours every other week as my driving was good ,but now doing that twice a week in order to get as much practice I possibly can before my test.

My main problem is roundabouts; I get confused when to go, which lane to be in, when to signal, and when to leave! I also get so intimidated by other drivers who drive so fast. I haven't practised the manoeuvres very much, but I'm okay with the three point turn, hate doing the parallel parking (because I can't see properly, haha I'm too short), bay parking is okay and I've only done the reverse parking once which was a complete fail.

So I'm just worried about roundabouts and the manoeuvres; in terms of if I have enough time to "master" them before my test. My instructor has said I'm a good, confident driver, but I hesitate at roundabouts which could be a problem.

I really want to pass first time... my test is also at 1:35pm which I think is a good time? I don't want to cancel it, as I already rescheduled before; was meant to have a test back in April, but changed it to June in order to have more practice.

I've got another lesson tomorrow at 11am. Hoping to do half roundabouts and the other half manoeuvres.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _icecream)
    omg I've taken a long break from driving lessons. A few months ago I've taken my test and failed. Since then I haven't had a lesson yet and have re-booked my test for the end of July. I think I'll have three hours worth of lessons just before my test and I'm not sure if this is a good idea?
    Why did you fail first time?

Personally,I would have taken more lessons but it depends on whether you feel confident enough with three hours before your test.

If your test is at the end of July, I'm sure you can take a few more lessons?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.