Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fkx)
    Yeah i think so, its probably the pressure

Thank you, i need all the luck i can get! I need a miracle to pass haha, no im trying to think positive about it, because im not worried about failing as its my first test but i do want to give it my best shot.
    Yeah probably is

You're welcome ! Haha yeah exactly, may as well give it all you've got on test day

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Just back from my lesson. The first ten mins were awful, I messed up so much you would have thought it was my first ever time behind a wheel and I felt really dizzy and shaky which I blame on the heat and my period but I had a sugary drink and a bit of chocolate and I was fine. We just done driving today, no maneuvers because I wasn't feeling too good but I picked up after eating and made less mistakes after that.

There was really loud thunder while I was driving which was scary!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spock's Socks)
    Just back from my lesson. The first ten mins were awful, I messed up so much you would have thought it was my first ever time behind a wheel and I felt really dizzy and shaky which I blame on the heat and my period but I had a sugary drink and a bit of chocolate and I was fine. We just done driving today, no maneuvers because I wasn't feeling too good but I picked up after eating and made less mistakes after that.

There was really loud thunder while I was driving which was scary!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Aw bless

Seems like everyone messed up today. It's pretty hot where I am today so I also think that contributed to screwing up

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by fkx)
    Did reverse around the corner which I just can't do I get confused where and when to steer especially as I cant see properly cos im too short.
    I found that the way my driving instructor taught reverse around a corner was really helpful:
    When doing the manoeuvre, make sure you can see the kerb in your wing mirror. Reverse and keep the wheel straight until you can see the kerb starting to 'drop away' from the car in the wing mirror, and then turn the wheel to the left, until the bit that is usually at the bottom of the steering wheel is at the '9 o'clock' position on a clock face. When the car starts to get too close to the kerb (roughly when the kerb is straight in relation to the side of the car), straighten the wheel up again, and then when the kerb starts getting too far away again, put the wheel back to '9 o'clock', and repeat that until you're done.

I hope that made sense!

I just found it much easier to switch between those two positions of the steering wheel, rather than trying to judge exactly how much you should be steering each time. Reverse around a corner actually ended up being my favourite manoeuvre and I was fortunate enough to get it on my driving test :lol:

Good luck with your test!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmyJ14)
    I found that the way my driving instructor taught reverse around a corner was really helpful:
    When doing the manoeuvre, make sure you can see the kerb in your wing mirror. Reverse and keep the wheel straight until you can see the kerb starting to 'drop away' from the car in the wing mirror, and then turn the wheel to the left, until the bit that is usually at the bottom of the steering wheel is at the '9 o'clock' position on a clock face. When the car starts to get too close to the kerb (roughly when the kerb is straight in relation to the side of the car), straighten the wheel up again, and then when the kerb starts getting too far away again, put the wheel back to '9 o'clock', and repeat that until you're done.

I hope that made sense!

I just found it much easier to switch between those two positions of the steering wheel, rather than trying to judge exactly how much you should be steering each time. Reverse around a corner actually ended up being my favourite manoeuvre and I was fortunate enough to get it on my driving test :lol:

Good luck with your test!
    Thanks for trying to explain it, but I don't think I will ever get it haha! It's just to complicated and I think it's pointless. Im just watching videos on youtube for all the manoeuvres...hoping that will help me.

ReputationRep:
    . Reverse bay park (reference points are really difficult to identify compared to the other manoeuvres).
    . Changing lanes/being in the right lane (obviously I know to turn right you need to be in right lane and so on but the actual needing to change lanes I find difficult).
    . Occasional indecision when I'm looking for a gap to turn into a road/onto a roundabout etc.

ReputationRep:
    I've recently restarted my driving lessons after temporarily stopping due to exams. My driving instructor's my biggest obstacle. I'd decided that this time I'd stand up more to my driving instructor - start telling them to give me more practice on what I need help with (large complicated roundabouts) instead of letting them do other things I don't need help with, and stop letting them yell at me and insult me, which ruins my concentration when I'm trying to drive. All the previous lessons, my instructor had always seemed distracted and short-tempered, and I've just been letting them have it all their way till now. I'd been making suggestions, politely, while driving but they hadn't been paying me much attention.

So at the start of the lesson, before driving, I told my driving instructor that I needed more practice on roundabouts, and that I didn't want to keep doing other things that I seem to be doing very well (I'm into my 70-80th lesson by now). The instructor's reply was ''I'm the instructor, so I decide'' and this lack of cooperation made me pretty angry to be honest. I spoke sharply to them insisting that I needed roundabout practice and that I was running out of time and patience. They did take me to a couple of large roundabouts, but only had me do one twice and the other once, and I didn't learn how to drive round them properly. The instructor told me when to switch lanes in a spiral roundabout, and if they hadn't I would have gone into the wrong lane. I explained this to my instructor. They said things like ''it's all pretty clear'' and ''no, you know how to do it'' and insisted that I knew how to do those roundabouts but had an irrational ''fear'' of them (and that I therefore didn't need any more practice with them.) At this point all my focus was on trying to drive safely so I couldn't argue back. Hope I can make that idiotdo things my way next driving lesson.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cosmic angel)
    I've recently restarted my driving lessons after temporarily stopping due to exams. My driving instructor's my biggest obstacle. I'd decided that this time I'd stand up more to my driving instructor - start telling them to give me more practice on what I need help with (large complicated roundabouts) instead of letting them do other things I don't need help with, and stop letting them yell at me and insult me, which ruins my concentration when I'm trying to drive. All the previous lessons, my instructor had always seemed distracted and short-tempered, and I've just been letting them have it all their way till now. I'd been making suggestions, politely, while driving but they hadn't been paying me much attention.

So at the start of the lesson, before driving, I told my driving instructor that I needed more practice on roundabouts, and that I didn't want to keep doing other things that I seem to be doing very well (I'm into my 70-80th lesson by now). The instructor's reply was ''I'm the instructor, so I decide'' and this lack of cooperation made me pretty angry to be honest. I spoke sharply to them insisting that I needed roundabout practice and that I was running out of time and patience. They did take me to a couple of large roundabouts, but only had me do one twice and the other once, and I didn't learn how to drive round them properly. The instructor told me when to switch lanes in a spiral roundabout, and if they hadn't I would have gone into the wrong lane. I explained this to my instructor. They said things like ''it's all pretty clear'' and ''no, you know how to do it'' and insisted that I knew how to do those roundabouts but had an irrational ''fear'' of them (and that I therefore didn't need any more practice with them.) At this point all my focus was on trying to drive safely so I couldn't argue back. Hope I can make that idiotdo things my way next driving lesson.
    Aw that's annoying. Would've thought your instructor would be more helpful than that..

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Back from my first test and I failed 13 minors and 1 major.

I got my favourite manoeuvre which was turn in the road, and got halfway before my mind went blank examiner tried to help me as much as she could, ,bless her, but nonetheless failed it.

Minors are all scattered tbh, e.g use of mirrors when signalling, appropriate speed and control of steering.

Gutted because I got the manoeuvre that I wanted, but messed it up. Didn't help that the road I was doing it on was so busy as well. Then again it was my first test, so at least I have some idea of what the test is like.

Just checked to seeNEXT available dates, and it says 14th of September! I don't want to wait that long

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ohhello92x)
    Aw that's annoying. Would've thought your instructor would be more helpful than that..

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It really is... But if I pass my next test, I'll be rid of him soon.

ReputationRep:
    Got my first 2 hour lesson in an hour looking forward to it and hoping I get a lot packed into the lesson

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I had my first 2 hour one today, went really well actually but you dont half get tired towards the end! I suppose thats how long the test and pretest lesson will be too. Got my test 2 weeks today and already 10 hours of lessons booked for in that time.

Do everything okay except slowing down at the last minute, i find it hard to break early as i see everyone else going fast but forget that its me whos gonna be tested! Also get a little confused at junctions sometimes as to where to wait when turning right etc. ;_;

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fkx)
    Back from my first test and I failed 13 minors and 1 major.

I got my favourite manoeuvre which was turn in the road, and got halfway before my mind went blank examiner tried to help me as much as she could, ,bless her, but nonetheless failed it.

Minors are all scattered tbh, e.g use of mirrors when signalling, appropriate speed and control of steering.

Gutted because I got the manoeuvre that I wanted, but messed it up. Didn't help that the road I was doing it on was so busy as well. Then again it was my first test, so at least I have some idea of what the test is like.

Just checked to seeNEXT available dates, and it says 14th of September! I don't want to wait that long
    Oh no ! Well I suppose on the bright side you have a good general idea of what the test involves..

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cosmic angel)
    It really is... But if I pass my next test, I'll be rid of him soon.
    Yeah exactly

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ohhello92x)
    Oh no ! Well I suppose on the bright side you have a good general idea of what the test involves..

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Im annoyed at myself because i got the manouevre i wanted but messed it up and im probably not going to get turn in the road again in my next test.

Yeah i now know what the test is like, it really isnt that long either.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    2 months today til my driving test! :eek:

Seems like ages away but when you think of only getting one or two lessons a week and then lessons getting cancelled because you or your instructor go on holiday or they are busy, its not far away at all!

ReputationRep:

Seems like ages away but when you think of only getting one or two lessons a week and then lessons getting cancelled because you or your instructor go on holiday or they are busy, its not far away at all!
    2 months sounds like ages!

Ive booked another test for the 20th of September and just praying i can get an earlier date! I wanted another in the next 3/4 weeks, not months

Thinking to pay £18 on a website that looks for cancellations for you and will let you know. Doesnt seem like a lot of money, considering i pay that per lesson, and if i keep this test in September, i guess ill have to keep taking more lessons

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fkx)
    Im annoyed at myself because i got the manouevre i wanted but messed it up and im probably not going to get turn in the road again in my next test.

Yeah i now know what the test is like, it really isnt that long either.
    Yeah might be totally different next time
    Ah ok, that's good then

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Mine's just under 2 months :eek: mine's on the 8th August

Think I'm gonna feel nervous nearer to the time..

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fkx)

Ive booked another test for the 20th of September and just praying i can get an earlier date! I wanted another in the next 3/4 weeks, not months

Thinking to pay £18 on a website that looks for cancellations for you and will let you know. Doesnt seem like a lot of money, considering i pay that per lesson, and if i keep this test in September, i guess ill have to keep taking more lessons
    Aw yeah just keep looking whenever you can

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fkx)

I use the £18 pound thing its so good, you have to reply within 12 mins of the text tho if you want the slot... so if you don't see it within 12 mins and you get a good date way before Sept it gets reserved to somebody else which sucks lol so gotta always be on the lookout.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.