The Student Room Group

Things you struggle with mostly while learning to drive

Scroll to see replies

I've had around 40 lessons so far and yesterday I hit the kerb 3 times, stalled the car at a junction and tried to turn left at a set of lights that clearly stated no turning left. I don't think I'm cut out for driving :facepalm:
Original post by Spock's Socks
So after a year out of lessons due to my health, I'm now back at driving lessons. I had my first lesson today and it was with a new instructor. I made a thread like this last year when I first started and thought I'd make another :colondollar:

I think back then, gears were my biggest hurdle. Now its definitely the clutch and acceleration. I either don't rev enough or I don't lift the clutch up in time or all that jazz. Stalled 3 times today and all at busy junctions :colondollar: after a year out though, I was expecting it. Not a lover of reversing either. I can reverse perfectly in a straight line but that's it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

never had a problem with stalling(not even in my first lesson) only stalled twice and I've had ALOT of lessons. Its just getting that balance, youll get there :smile:

Now I really struggled with speed, I managed to wheelspin around a roundabout :')
And manoeuvres are my biggest problem I either get them perfect or HORRIBLY WRONG :frown:
Original post by zoeelizabeth
I've had around 40 lessons so far and yesterday I hit the kerb 3 times, stalled the car at a junction and tried to turn left at a set of lights that clearly stated no turning left. I don't think I'm cut out for driving :facepalm:

trust me we all have days like that when it all goes horribly wrong. It just happens remember you are still learning, its often thought to be miraculous how humans learn to drive as its such a complex activity,

DONT WORRY your doing great :smile: <3
Original post by fkx
Thanks, I know, I cried a little bit when he was explaining it to me at the end 😢 what I should have done was go back to the starting position and just do the whole manoeuvre again but I panicked and was too nervous.

But I feel like I drove a lot better this time than last, even the examiner said it was a smooth, good drive. It was just that bloody manoeuvre

Yeah I think I'm going to need a whole lesson just going through the manoeuvres until I'm confident with them all.

I've booked another one, next available date is the 24th October at 2:52pm 😭 ️hopefully I'll get an earlier date!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aww bless you 🙁
Ah fair enough. Ahhh that's annoying, hopefully in your case someone will have a cancellation soon so you can take that slot :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 484
Original post by ohhello92x
Aww bless you 🙁
Ah fair enough. Ahhh that's annoying, hopefully in your case someone will have a cancellation soon so you can take that slot :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hopefully but I think for the next couple of weeks I'm going to take a break from lessons. I feel like I'd be spending money on lessons when my test is months away, so it will feel like a waste of money.

When are you back to lessons?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by fkx
Hopefully but I think for the next couple of weeks I'm going to take a break from lessons. I feel like I'd be spending money on lessons when my test is months away, so it will feel like a waste of money.

When are you back to lessons?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah fair enough 🙂

I decided to go back into lessons, got a lesson next Monday :redface: my instructor did say I could take a week off lessons then have a lesson the following week, but decided to go back into them to start going where I went wrong :redface: plus my test is in 4 weeks so thought may as well :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 486
Ah fair enough 🙂

I decided to go back into lessons, got a lesson next Monday :redface: my instructor did say I could take a week off lessons then have a lesson the following week, but decided to go back into them to start going where I went wrong :redface: plus my test is in 4 weeks so thought may as well :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh since your test is in 4 weeks then you might as well go back to lessons. Like you said, go through what went wrong and improve.

I have 2 months before my next one so I'll probably take 2 or so weeks off then get back to lessons.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fkx
Oh since your test is in 4 weeks then you might as well go back to lessons. Like you said, go through what went wrong and improve.

I have 2 months before my next one so I'll probably take 2 or so weeks off then get back to lessons.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah exactly 🙂

Ah fair enough, suppose if you do that then at least you'll have a bit of a break off from driving then go back into it :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I struggle with so many little things I doubt anyone else would struggle with like for example, a have bad perception of when to steer the car into a simple 90 degrees turn and my awareness sometimes is terrible... I'm resuming lessons after like a month break, I hope all things go well
Original post by Ohmydog
I struggle with so many little things I doubt anyone else would struggle with like for example, a have bad perception of when to steer the car into a simple 90 degrees turn and my awareness sometimes is terrible... I'm resuming lessons after like a month break, I hope all things go well

How many lessons have you had ?
Original post by im.a.witch
How many lessons have you had ?

20 hours...
Reply 491
Yeah exactly 🙂

Ah fair enough, suppose if you do that then at least you'll have a bit of a break off from driving then go back into it :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your lucky you have just 4 weeks, ive got over 2 months 😭
How did you get yours so soon?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fkx
Your lucky you have just 4 weeks, ive got over 2 months 😭
How did you get yours so soon?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know right 😃, aw I'm sure you'll get someone with a cancellation soon :redface:

Honestly I got lucky with the dates for the test centre that I booked for (which is literally not too far from me and the one I used for in my first test) as I was trying to get one for this month, but earliest they had was early next month :redface: but I'm keeping an eye out whenever I can for a cancellation :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ohmydog
20 hours...

Do you feel your instructor is actually a good teacher ? I don't wish to be mean but if you've had 20 hours you should be able to do those things quite easily. :/ If he/she is maybe you just need more practice so don't sweat it :smile:
I had my driving test today and I failed! I am looking to get any tips/advice cause at the moment I keep asking myself will I ever be good enough. I had 4 minors and 1 major. The examiner told me to go straight ahead at the roundabout I was in the left lane and instead i went onto the third exit. My mind just went blank and i wasn't thinking, and I went to the right cause i think this is the way i usually go with my instructor. Other than that i feel my driving was ok if not good. Plus i got a turn in the road as the manoeuvre which i find easiest to do out of all the manoeuvres and my examiner was really nice. I feel like I really messed up when I shouldn't have.

How can i avoid going making this mistake again. Also I find multi-lane roundabouts really complicated, I usually end up on the wrong lane and to be honest they just scare me. Plus I find it had joining dual carriages ways, i find it difficult to judge how close the cars are behind. Any tips/advice?
Original post by summerblue
I had my driving test today and I failed! I am looking to get any tips/advice cause at the moment I keep asking myself will I ever be good enough. I had 4 minors and 1 major. The examiner told me to go straight ahead at the roundabout I was in the left lane and instead i went onto the third exit. My mind just went blank and i wasn't thinking, and I went to the right cause i think this is the way i usually go with my instructor. Other than that i feel my driving was ok if not good. Plus i got a turn in the road as the manoeuvre which i find easiest to do out of all the manoeuvres and my examiner was really nice. I feel like I really messed up when I shouldn't have.

How can i avoid going making this mistake again. Also I find multi-lane roundabouts really complicated, I usually end up on the wrong lane and to be honest they just scare me. Plus I find it had joining dual carriages ways, i find it difficult to judge how close the cars are behind. Any tips/advice?

Multi lane roundabouts were one of my biggest fears when I first passed. I used to feel my heart go faster when I knew one was coming up. The way I got over it was just by telling myself "it's no different to a small roundabout - the principles are the same". If you wanna take the first or second exit, be in the left lane. For the third or fourth exit, be in the right lane. If there's a fifth exit then there will probably be a third lane on the roundabout. Get as far over as possible, and let the lanes take you around. A lot of roundabouts with more than two lanes will have traffic lights on them. Take advantage and drive slowly. If you find you're in the wrong lane, just change like you would on a dual carriageway. They also occasionally have the place the lane leads to in the road. Use them too to help guide you. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
The multi lane roundabouts where I live have signs and paint on the ground saying which lane you need to be for each exit/road. Is that not the case where you guys live?
All the roundabouts coming off motorway junctions near me have the paint on the ground saying where the lane leads to. However, there are a few around town that only have the road sign on the approach to the roundabout that explains where each one leads to - no painted markings on the road. There's one in particular with three lanes that has a lot of accidents near me because nobody knows which lane to be in; they try to change at the last minute, and consequently crash into another car.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by summerblue

Hey we've all been there.
tip for roundabouts is straight ahead/ left= left lane (most of the time ) CHECK THE PAINTED ARROWS ON THE ROAD they're a hugggee help.

Turn right nearly ALWAYS inner lane (nearest to RIGHT)

Multilane roundabouts are a pain in the arse to EVERYONE.

Also if you think oh shoot Im in the wrong lane for the direction they gave=JUST CONTINUE IN THAT LANE safely. They will redirect you :smile:
I've only just started practical lessons (passed theory in June). Spent the first lesson learning about car controls and stopping and starting. 2nd and most recent lesson was left turns in a quiet road. I did well, my only issue so far would be braking too soon before emerging at junctions and so I can't see oncoming vehicles because I'm too far behind, lol. Also stalled a few times, as my instructor taught me to use the clutch to move at slow speeds and I'd apply the brake at the same time before turning and I think I'd release the clutch too soon so I stall.
He also had me going into 2nd gear which was fine except I had to look down to see where it was. I tried to do it once without looking and ended up in 4th gear, lol!
Other than that, I'd say I'm doing pretty well having only had one real lesson. (2hr session on Friday following a 1hr starter session sometime last week) I have 4 hours next week (2x2 hour lessons)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending