Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    I've only just started practical lessons (passed theory in June). Spent the first lesson learning about car controls and stopping and starting. 2nd and most recent lesson was left turns in a quiet road. I did well, my only issue so far would be braking too soon before emerging at junctions and so I can't see oncoming vehicles because I'm too far behind, lol. Also stalled a few times, as my instructor taught me to use the clutch to move at slow speeds and I'd apply the brake at the same time before turning and I think I'd release the clutch too soon so I stall.
    He also had me going into 2nd gear which was fine except I had to look down to see where it was. I tried to do it once without looking and ended up in 4th gear, lol!
    Other than that, I'd say I'm doing pretty well having only had one real lesson. (2hr session on Friday following a 1hr starter session sometime last week) I have 4 hours next week (2x2 hour lessons)
    There was a nice video on youtube that I saw by World Driving that showed the Palming Method so you could switch to the correct gear with ease. That will help A LOT.

As for me, the thing I have always struggled with (and still now) is that I seem to drift towards parked cars or even sometimes too far to the right and can never get that right middle

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ohmydog)
    There was a nice video on youtube that I saw by World Driving that showed the Palming Method so you could switch to the correct gear with ease. That will help A LOT.

As for me, the thing I have always struggled with (and still now) is that I seem to drift towards parked cars or even sometimes too far to the right and can never get that right middle
    My instructor did say that I should use my palm to change gear, but I'll check out the vid on YouTube.
    I found myself drifting toward parked cars too, especially because the road I was driving down was pretty narrow. I guess the best course of action is to go very slowly as you pass so that you have time to steer into the middle.

How many lessons have you had?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spock's Socks)
    So after a year out of lessons due to my health, I'm now back at driving lessons. I had my first lesson today and it was with a new instructor. I made a thread like this last year when I first started and thought I'd make another

I think back then, gears were my biggest hurdle. Now its definitely the clutch and acceleration. I either don't rev enough or I don't lift the clutch up in time or all that jazz. Stalled 3 times today and all at busy junctions after a year out though, I was expecting it. Not a lover of reversing either. I can reverse perfectly in a straight line but that's it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ever since I wrote a reply to this post ive stalled like twice which is soo strange. hahaha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im.a.witch)
    Ever since I wrote a reply to this post ive stalled like twice which is soo strange. hahaha
    Haha aw bless

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Roundabouts are without a doubt the worst thing that you can encounter in driving imo. It can be really complicated to know exactly when to go on certain roundabouts because you really have to look at the angles of the approaching cars from the right to see if they are going to go in across you (hence you would have to give way to them) or turn left and not get in your way (which would mean you are safe to go). I always **** this up and end up holding up traffic for a good 20 seconds longer than I should do in lessons (which is probably fail worthy in a practical test)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scientific222)
    Roundabouts are without a doubt the worst thing that you can encounter in driving imo. It can be really complicated to know exactly when to go on certain roundabouts because you really have to look at the angles of the approaching cars from the right to see if they are going to go in across you (hence you would have to give way to them) or turn left and not get in your way (which would mean you are safe to go). I always **** this up and end up holding up traffic for a good 20 seconds longer than I should do in lessons (which is probably fail worthy in a practical test)
    I suppose though its better you pause to try and work out the roundabout that just enter blindly and try to change lanes. Which id say is WAY more dangerous.

ReputationRep:
    The thing I hate the most is turning onto new roads. I either do it too slow, to fast or too wide. I think I got it correct once.

ReputationRep:
    So today my first lesson since failing my practical test a week ago. Finally think I know exactly where I went wrong in my turn in the road when I did the practical luckily my test is in 3 weeks, just keeping an eye out for cancellations before that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ohhello92x)
    So today my first lesson since failing my practical test a week ago. Finally think I know exactly where I went wrong in my turn in the road when I did the practical luckily my test is in 3 weeks, just keeping an eye out for cancellations before that
    GOOD FOR YOU getting back to it soo quickly Its the best thing to do xx

ReputationRep:
    GOOD FOR YOU getting back to it soo quickly Its the best thing to do xx
    Thanks yeah exactly, thought may as well as my next test is early next month and also get straight into where I screwed up in the first test xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I haven't even looked for any cancellations and tbh drivings been at the back of my mind since failing.

So where did you go wrong with the turn in the road? And what did your instructor say?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fkx)
    I haven't even looked for any cancellations and tbh drivings been at the back of my mind since failing.

So where did you go wrong with the turn in the road? And what did your instructor say?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah fair enough

Well I didn't say anything to my instructor as to where I figured out where I went wrong after we were going over it in today's lesson. But basically when I did my test and did the manoeuvre, where I turned it was in front of a driveway, and as it was slightly sloped I should've put my foot on the gas, and not on the break when I reverse. So my instructor asked me today if the examiner got me to do the manoeuvre where there was a driveway and I said yeah. So that's what my instructor to do, the turn in the road where there is a driveway

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ah fair enough

Well I didn't say anything to my instructor as to where I figured out where I went wrong after we were going over it in today's lesson. But basically when I did my test and did the manoeuvre, where I turned it was in front of a driveway, and as it was slightly sloped I should've put my foot on the gas, and not on the break when I reverse. So my instructor asked me today if the examiner got me to do the manoeuvre where there was a driveway and I said yeah. So that's what my instructor to do, the turn in the road where there is a driveway

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So what should you've done instead ? go Where there wasn't a drive way ? Or just accelerate a wee bit more ?

ReputationRep:
    So what should you've done instead ? go Where there wasn't a drive way ? Or just accelerate a wee bit more ?
    I should've gone on the gas a bit and not on the brake when reversing before stopping during my test but I guess the nerves got to me and got all flustery when I performed the manoeuvre and my mind went blank so I never went on the gas, just went straight for the brake during the test if that makes any sense? (Makes sense to me anyway )

Edit: so to make it clearer if you're still unsure on what I'm on about, the road that I failed my test with the manoeuvre on was curved (camber) so I really should've gone on the gas slightly as I started to reverse instead of going on the brake straight away

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I should've gone on the gas a bit and not on the brake when reversing before stopping during my test but I guess the nerves got to me and got all flustery when I performed the manoeuvre and my mind went blank so I never went on the gas, just went straight for the brake during the test if that makes any sense? (Makes sense to me anyway )

Edit: so to make it clearer if you're still unsure on what I'm on about, the road that I failed my test with the manoeuvre on was curved (camber) so I really should've gone on the gas slightly as I started to reverse instead of going on the brake straight away

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Omg that's exactly what I did as well!!! Because I was going to do a full lock to left ie in reverse, but the car wasn't moving so I should have gone to the gas a little bit. But because that never happened in lessons I didn't know what to do!

What a coincidence!

I've just looked at the next available dates and its end of November. So I think I'll have to leave at October, I'm a little worried because I have uni on Mondays and finish at 12...I should have enough time to have an hours lesson before my test(hopefully)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That makes sense. So basically you felt the car rolling forward instead of back and you braked insead of accelerate a little.
    Thank you for clearing it up, just helps me learn for my test
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Yesterday made me realise I don't think I am ready to drive. There were so many wasps around and it was roasting so we had to keep the windows down and just in time, my bf noticed one about to fly in my window and managed to put it up but it got caught on the outside and I took a full blown panic attack and had to stop myself from lashing out with nerves like what I would do if I were outside and a bee or wasp came near me and it made me realise if I were in the drivers seat and one flew in the window, I wouldn't be calm and I would likely cause an accident :/ there were also a lot of nutters on the road yesterday and my road rage even as a passenger is awful :laugh: thankfully my bf is quick thinking while driving and copes fine with road rage but I am the opposite. Kinda glad I'm taking a while off driving tbh

ReputationRep:
    That makes sense. So basically you felt the car rolling forward instead of back and you braked insead of accelerate a little.
    Thank you for clearing it up, just helps me learn for my test
    Yeah basically so I ended up doing what I would do if it was on a flat bit of road, so I made a mistake on something simple that I got myself confused on due to the nerves getting to me in the test ! You're welcome

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yesterday made me realise I don't think I am ready to drive. There were so many wasps around and it was roasting so we had to keep the windows down and just in time, my bf noticed one about to fly in my window and managed to put it up but it got caught on the outside and I took a full blown panic attack and had to stop myself from lashing out with nerves like what I would do if I were outside and a bee or wasp came near me and it made me realise if I were in the drivers seat and one flew in the window, I wouldn't be calm and I would likely cause an accident :/ there were also a lot of nutters on the road yesterday and my road rage even as a passenger is awful :laugh: thankfully my bf is quick thinking while driving and copes fine with road rage but I am the opposite. Kinda glad I'm taking a while off driving tbh
    Aw bless. I'm sure you are ready, but just need practice/confidence, etc. Lol I'm sure your road rage will eventually die down

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    This is my worst fear. I only really open my windows when I'm on the dual carriage way or on a fast road because I absolutely couldn't deal with that.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.