The Student Room Group

Things you struggle with mostly while learning to drive

Scroll to see replies

Original post by asinghj
I just want want to get my driving license and be done with this and focus on my studies (yr 13). And the place where my instructor said I should have the test only have dates for december (not too bad tbh)

And did you have your test?

You will get there, how many hours lessons have u had? You can go into your booking & look for earlier dates, cancellations do come up quite often... 😀

Yea, failed my first, was unfairly failed on my second & have another one next week... That will be my 3rd test in a month 😩😂
I'm okay at everything in my driving instructors car but I practised in my mums today and I stalled loads (which I never do in lessons anymore). I'm not sure if it's different cars and I just have to get used to it.
Also in my driving instructors car you can go from 5th to 2nd gear straight away when coming to a roundabout on a dual carriageway but in my mums car, you have to go from 5th into 3rd then into 2nd or into 4th and then into 2nd so I get confused as I'm used to just going straight from 5th to 2nd gear
Original post by lemonandlime1
I'm okay at everything in my driving instructors car but I practised in my mums today and I stalled loads (which I never do in lessons anymore). I'm not sure if it's different cars and I just have to get used to it.
Also in my driving instructors car you can go from 5th to 2nd gear straight away when coming to a roundabout on a dual carriageway but in my mums car, you have to go from 5th into 3rd then into 2nd or into 4th and then into 2nd so I get confused as I'm used to just going straight from 5th to 2nd gear

Aw bless. Maybe it's because you're driving in different cars that you're stalling. You'll get there with getting used to driving in a different car :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CallieJo
You will get there, how many hours lessons have u had? You can go into your booking & look for earlier dates, cancellations do come up quite often... 😀

Yea, failed my first, was unfairly failed on my second & have another one next week... That will be my 3rd test in a month 😩😂

I only had 6 2 hour lessons and 1 1 hour lesson (13 hours altogether). Now I only have 2 maneuvers to learn.

Oh and don't worry, you will pass this time. I believe that you can do it. 🙃

And do you know why you failed the first 2?
Original post by asinghj
I only had 6 2 hour lessons and 1 1 hour lesson (13 hours altogether). Now I only have 2 maneuvers to learn.

Oh and don't worry, you will pass this time. I believe that you can do it. 🙃

And do you know why you failed the first 2?

Ah right, won't be long then & everything will click into place... I was still really nervous that early on in my lessons, once the nerves go it gets a lot easier ☺️

Thank you! That's so nice of u to say, I hope I do... It's costing a fortune in tests 🙈

The first time I failed for going into a tight junction too fast in gear 2 & because someone come up behind me whilst doing a reverse park & the examiner said I didn't do enough checks even tho I saw him & stopped until he passed 🤔

Second time the examiner failed me literally 3 mins before we got back to the test centre, he said I didn't check my right wing mirror when I moved into a right lane, he was wrong I did check & indicate & I had no other minors for mirror checks so it should have been a minor & I would have passed 😞 The examiners boss even admitted it should have been a minor 😭
Original post by CallieJo
Ah right, won't be long then & everything will click into place... I was still really nervous that early on in my lessons, once the nerves go it gets a lot easier ☺️

Thank you! That's so nice of u to say, I hope I do... It's costing a fortune in tests 🙈

The first time I failed for going into a tight junction too fast in gear 2 & because someone come up behind me whilst doing a reverse park & the examiner said I didn't do enough checks even tho I saw him & stopped until he passed 🤔

Second time the examiner failed me literally 3 mins before we got back to the test centre, he said I didn't check my right wing mirror when I moved into a right lane, he was wrong I did check & indicate & I had no other minors for mirror checks so it should have been a minor & I would have passed 😞 The examiners boss even admitted it should have been a minor 😭

Oh, that's awful. Couldn't you have appealed or something against that examiner? (i don't really know the rules and stuff)

And thank you, hopefully soon when I start my mock tests and pass a few I will enjoy driving, but until then I have a lesson at 9:30 this week where my instructor is gonna teach me how to do parallel parking. I'm so excited 😵
Well tomorrow is my driving test, lets hope all goes well! :smile:
Original post by shanj0nes

Ahhh good luck! Hope it all goes well for you!:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ohhello92x
Ahhh good luck! Hope it all goes well for you!:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you lovely! Me too! :P
Thank you lovely! Me too! :P

You're welcome:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 710

Best of luck! Let us know how you get on :hugs:
Reply 711
My mammy has her second theory test attempt tomorrow. Hope she passes this time :yep: she is getting great scores in the mocks but I think she freezes during the test with nerves

How did it go?
Original post by Spock's Socks
My mammy has her second theory test attempt tomorrow. Hope she passes this time :yep: she is getting great scores in the mocks but I think she freezes during the test with nerves

Aw bless her, hope she passes :biggrin:! As long as she tries to remain calm/read the questions carefully then she'll be fine :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by asinghj
How did it go?

I failed. I had an emotional breakdown after the test lmao. I got 3 serious faults and a **** ton of minors. Ironically my instructor told me, I drive really well and the only thing I need to work on is my mirror checks. In my test I didn't even get a minor for my mirrors, I just did everything else wrong!
I failed. I had an emotional breakdown after the test lmao. I got 3 serious faults and a **** ton of minors. Ironically my instructor told me, I drive really well and the only thing I need to work on is my mirror checks. In my test I didn't even get a minor for my mirrors, I just did everything else wrong!

Oh don't worry. I'm sure you tried your best.
Also, as my instructor says, you can have a really good driver and on the test day they may still fail, so don't be disheartened. I'm sure you will get it done next time🙂

Oh no, sorry to hear :frown:! I'm sure you'll do fine next time :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lemonandlime1

Driving instructors typically use diesel cars and they are a lot more forgiving with the clutch and stalling. So if your mum has a petrol car it will be slightly different but honestly don't worry about it because everyone who learns in diesel then switches to petrol has this problem!

No idea about the 5th to 3rd thing though, I thought in any car you could just change gears as long as you were going the right speed for your chosen gear.
Original post by rayquaza17
Driving instructors typically use diesel cars and they are a lot more forgiving with the clutch and stalling. So if your mum has a petrol car it will be slightly different but honestly don't worry about it because everyone who learns in diesel then switches to petrol has this problem!

My instructor has a diese Ford Fiesta and my dad has a petrol Ford Fiesta, and when I drive either of them I drive fine, without stalling (I still hate manoeuvres though)
But when I drive my sisters petrol Toyota Yaris I always stall, so I don't think petrol vs diesel is the only reason
Reply 719
My mum passed her theory! :biggrin: 44/50 for the questions and 61/75 for HP :smile: she bet me on the HP part by three points and got the exact same as me on the questions :tongue:

Knew she'd pass this time around :h: :woo:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending