Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I just failed my driving test today for one serious fault and no minors. How can I book another test ASAP. Earliest one I've seen is in February

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moe889)
    I just failed my driving test today for one serious fault and no minors. How can I book another test ASAP. Earliest one I've seen is in February
    Oh no ! Well if the earliest one is in the nearest test centre for you in February, keep checking daily on the gov website for cancellations (that's what I did), or there are websites that do check for you for cancellations but you have to pay for it (not sure how much it is/how it works). Or if your instructor is prepared to take you to another test centre, and another centre has an earlier appointment, then suppose you could do it that way but I'd advise you to talk to your instructor with the 2nd option. But with the first option, book the test for February and continuously check for cancellations..

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Petulia)
    Also this is going to sound so stupid but I really have trouble lifting the handbreak and I always forget whether I need to pull up or push down and sometimes I'm trying to press the button but it's not working and while this is happening my feet just drift off the pedals and I stall.
    I had the exact same problem. I use to stall all the time at traffic lights because I don't release the handbrake properly. You just push the button in and pull it all the way up when you're stationary, and you can keep your hand on the handbrake if this makes you feel better. When you're ready to move off, apply gas first then slowly ease off your clutch until you have the bite, release the handbrake by pushing the button in and push it all the way down.
    So it's up when you've stopped.
    Down when you're about to move.

ReputationRep:
    the manuevers!!!! especially reversing round a bend

ReputationRep:
    I am really terrible at driving. I'm that typical learner driver who ends up being a nuisance to everyone else on the road. I had 5 lessons last year and then stopped because I was so nervous and I didn't like the pressure from my instructor. Now I've started again and I've had about 7 lessons now (one hour a week) and I feel like my instructor is really frustrated with me. He's always trying to teaching me new things but I'm still stuck on the first things he taught me. And then when he tells me off for something I've done wrong, I completely lose focus and I start to feel bad and just forget altogether what I'm supposed to do. He is a lot calmer and more patient with me than my last instructor, so I don't think he is the problem here, but I still manage to make him really frustrated and he says I need to focus properly and learn to multitask and I try really hard but my nerves keep getting the best of me.

The main problem is with clutch control and starting off. I just can't keep a steady foot on the gas and when I lift off the clutch I either lift off the gas completely and stall or I press down too much and start revving the engine. Because of this I'm slower at taking turns and can't focus on steering properly. And when another car is approaching from in front or behind, I just get stunned and don't react fast enough especially if they're approaching just as I was planning on changing gears. We've just been driving around my area but there's corner shops where everyone parks and it's really narrow so only one car can drive through at a time, and probably 3 or 4 times now I've had other drivers shout at me for not starting up again fast enough and for stalling and this just makes me even more panicked.

Does anyone have any tips for starting off and clutch control and keeping a steady foot on the gas? Are there any other nervous learner drivers? Because I really feel like I'm the only one who's this slow and panicky and I'm close to giving up again or maybe starting again with a female instructor
    yes i do
    So take 4 seconds to lift the clutch completely when in 1st
    then slowly put your foot down don't just rest your foot, the way to start this i guess is rest your foot on the accelerator and tense it and move your foot up and down soon you won't need to tense your foot that much and can do it with ease, same with the clutch, you'll eventually get a feel for it.
    I never stalled since the 10th lesson i ever had yet in my test i stalled 3 times

Stop, handbrake on, take a deep breath, calm and then start again.
    (Original post by Rainbowcorn)
    the manuevers!!!! especially reversing round a bend
    Ah the dreaded left reverse, what u need help with fam?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by will'o'wisp)
    yes i do
    then slowly put your foot down don't just rest your foot, the way to start this i guess is rest your foot on the accelerator and tense it and move your foot up and down soon you won't need to tense your foot that much and can do it with ease, same with the clutch, you'll eventually get a feel for it.
    I never stalled since the 10th lesson i ever had yet in my test i stalled 3 times

just in general, not knowing when to turn, how much (fully?) and how close to be to the curb etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by will'o'wisp)
    yes i do

Thanks for this.
    I had another lesson today - I decided to start doing 2 lessons a week instead of just 1, to help me remember stuff better instead of leaving such big gaps between lessons, and I was a lot more confident today (since my last lesson was only a few days ago instead of a whole week ago).

I think you're definitely right about lifting in 4 seconds - I seem to lift really slowly and my instructor keeps saying "why aren't you using the clutch" because I take too long to leave off.

Also when we stop on a narrow road because of an approaching car, my instructor always tells me to start finding the biting point while we're waiting for the other car to drive past, and I don't even start trying to find it until the car has completely driven past because I'm scared I'll drive into it, but I've learnt now that once I reach the biting point I can control it by holding the clutch down, so I can start finding it while the car is moving past.

Whenever I'm in someone else's car they seem to drive off straight away, like everyone seems to find the biting point so fast that I don't even realise they're doing it. How long did it take you guys before it became natural to you like this?

ReputationRep:
    Also when we stop on a narrow road because of an approaching car, my instructor always tells me to start finding the biting point while we're waiting for the other car to drive

Whenever I'm in someone else's car they seem to drive off straight away, like everyone seems to find the biting point so fast that I don't even realise they're doing it. How long did it take you guys before it became natural to you like this?
    It didn't come so natural to me either, in fact it's probably the only thing I struggle with now (amongst anticipating/judgement) & I have no idea how I'll master it in a petrol but with diesel, I've gotten into the habit of using the clutch to move off initially then apply gas to speed up. If I were to actually find the bite the usual way, I imagine it would take me much longer

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for this.
    I had another lesson today - I decided to start doing 2 lessons a week instead of just 1, to help me remember stuff better instead of leaving such big gaps between lessons, and I was a lot more confident today (since my last lesson was only a few days ago instead of a whole week ago).

I think you're definitely right about lifting in 4 seconds - I seem to lift really slowly and my instructor keeps saying "why aren't you using the clutch" because I take too long to leave off.

Also when we stop on a narrow road because of an approaching car, my instructor always tells me to start finding the biting point while we're waiting for the other car to drive past, and I don't even start trying to find it until the car has completely driven past because I'm scared I'll drive into it, but I've learnt now that once I reach the biting point I can control it by holding the clutch down, so I can start finding it while the car is moving past.

Awesome stuff

Still takes about 0.5 sec to find it and get the balance.

Still tho, u gotta remember other people have driven their cars probably for 10 yrs plus so y'know let's say the use their car about 5 times a week then u kno they goin be pretty good at it xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    It didn't come so natural to me either, in fact it's probably the only thing I struggle with now (amongst anticipating/judgement) & I have no idea how I'll master it in a petrol but with diesel, I've gotten into the habit of using the clutch to move off initially then apply gas to speed up. If I were to actually find the bite the usual way, I imagine it would take me much longer
    Did you learn on diesel? That sounds so much easier. I'm not having any problem with changing gears etc it's just balancing the clutch and gas pedals that seems to be the hardest thing to do.

ReputationRep:
    I still remain awful at driving after about 3 or 4 yhears of having a license
    to be honest, I don't even know if I should actually have my license - my driving instructor was friends with the tester
    but the worst thing about learning to drive is that there is such a knowledge gap between you and the instructor as to what they know that you know, or what they don't know that you know or don't know - "known knowns" and "known unknowns" and all that to quote donald rumsfeld
    for instnace, it might seem like common sense to them, but when he said "pull up on the clutch" without saying "while gibing it a bit of gas", I just awkwardly crept thecar forward for about 5 seconds until I figured "okay, now might be a time to give it some gas", while apparently, he thought that was common sense - well ****, if you don't actually tell me to do something while I'm a novice behind the wheel of a potential death machine, of course I'm not going to spring into a sense of confidence

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EdwardBarfield9)
    Roundabouts and getting manuvers consistently correct.

Everytime I make a mistake it shakes me up and I lose all my confidence.

It got to the point that I am now scared of driving and dreaded getting into the driving seat so I stopped as I do not feel safe.
    i hate roundabouts too, but i feel like practice does make things better. Try going driving early/late when its the most quiet so you dont stresss out as much, and that should give you some confidence. This helped me a lot, and also dont worry about waiting for ages! I used to get so stressed but this does help

ReputationRep:

It got to the point that I am now scared of driving and dreaded getting into the driving seat so I stopped as I do not feel safe.
    i hate roundabouts too, but i feel like practice does make things better. Try going driving early/late when its the most quiet so you dont stresss out as much, and that should give you some confidence. This helped me a lot, and also dont worry about waiting for ages! I used to get so stressed but this does help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleepysnooze)
    I still remain awful at driving after about 3 or 4 yhears of having a license
    to be honest, I don't even know if I should actually have my license - my driving instructor was friends with the tester
    but the worst thing about learning to drive is that there is such a knowledge gap between you and the instructor as to what they know that you know, or what they don't know that you know or don't know - "known knowns" and "known unknowns" and all that to quote donald rumsfeld
    for instnace, it might seem like common sense to them, but when he said "pull up on the clutch" without saying "while gibing it a bit of gas", I just awkwardly crept thecar forward for about 5 seconds until I figured "okay, now might be a time to give it some gas", while apparently, he thought that was common sense - well ****, if you don't actually tell me to do something while I'm a novice behind the wheel of a potential death machine, of course I'm not going to spring into a sense of confidence
    What specifically is it that you still struggle with? Do you drive very often?

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimmy Carr)
    What specifically is it that you still struggle with? Do you drive very often?
    I struggle with navigation quite a lot and getting into the right lane on time - when I'm having to see where I'm going via looking at road signs saying which lane goes where, I have to visualise it quite a lot but I'm also having to keep my eyes on the road. I'm not the best at that kind of multi-tasking, but some might even say that's hardly multi-tasking...another thing is that I am really paranoid with regards to speed - my family are a bunch of prudes so they always tell me off if I, say, went 31mph in a 30 zone, but it's the fact that I might be going 33/34 in a 30 zone past a speed camera and I'll end up wondering for 2 weeks whether or not I'm getting a ticket for it, because there's really no way of knowing the tolerance of the camera regarding speed

and no, I hardly drive at all any more - hardly ever drove anyway - just a bit of a token to have a driver's license, right?

ReputationRep:
    Any suggestions for driving test cancellations I need one urgently for December? Please

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleepysnooze)
    I struggle with navigation quite a lot and getting into the right lane on time - when I'm having to see where I'm going via looking at road signs saying which lane goes where, I have to visualise it quite a lot but I'm also having to keep my eyes on the road. I'm not the best at that kind of multi-tasking, but some might even say that's hardly multi-tasking...another thing is that I am really paranoid with regards to speed - my family are a bunch of prudes so they always tell me off if I, say, went 31mph in a 30 zone, but it's the fact that I might be going 33/34 in a 30 zone past a speed camera and I'll end up wondering for 2 weeks whether or not I'm getting a ticket for it, because there's really no way of knowing the tolerance of the camera regarding speed

and no, I hardly drive at all any more - hardly ever drove anyway - just a bit of a token to have a driver's license, right?
    All problems I had when I first passed my test. Problems that a lot of people have when they first past their test tbf. The more you drive, all this stuff just becomes second nature. I've held my license for the same amount of time as you and I've done several thousand miles of driving now, and most of my driving is through towns. As I said, I used to be the same, it seemed so hard to take everything in and concentrate on everything at once, but nowadays I can be listening to music whilst having a chat, sipping from a bottle of drink, approaching a roundabout, steer it with one hand and not think twice about what I'm doing, it just happens out of habit. When I look back at how I used to think driving and using the roads was so complicated, I laugh at myself tbh. The more you drive, the better you get because the more automatic it becomes, it really is that simple.

As for the lanes, after a while you get to know how these things work and generally, if you're referring to big traffic light roundabouts, they're all more or less the same. My system for those has always been, for example, if I'm taking the 4th exit, get in the 4th lane (or if there are less then 4 lanes then the far right lane - always the far right lane if there are less lanes than predicted); then as you approach the next traffic lights, you should be in the 3rd lane, as one lane has turned off so now the 3rd lane will be the one you were in and goes in the direction you want to go; then swoop to the second lane for the next traffic lights; then the left lane; then take your exit.

As for speed cameras, just know where they are. Having a good Sat Nav is essential if you're driving through unfamiliar territory. I'm a chronic speeder NGL, and I've been caught speeding ONCE - that time, I didn't have my Sat Nav, was going off my mate's guidance and he failed to tell me that there was a sneaky mobile speed camera spot where the police sit behind a bush with their handheld device. I was speeding, my fault and I got caught for it, but if I'd had my Sat Nav on instead then it'd have flagged up the camera hot spot and I'd have slowed down. I know it's not a recommendable way to drive and I'm not condoning speeding at all, but truth be told, the majority of road users are the same and if you're worried about getting caught, there's my advice for what to do and what to avoid doing. In short, as I said, just know where the cameras are and don't speed past them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moe889)
    Any suggestions for driving test cancellations I need one urgently for December? Please
    Go onto the gov website daily/hourly to check for cancellations. Also, there are websites (I personally haven't tried) that check for you and I believe that you pay them once you get that cancellation, not sure how that works tbh..

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimmy Carr)
    All problems I had when I first passed my test. Problems that a lot of people have when they first past their test tbf. The more you drive, all this stuff just becomes second nature. I've held my license for the same amount of time as you and I've done several thousand miles of driving now, and most of my driving is through towns. As I said, I used to be the same, it seemed so hard to take everything in and concentrate on everything at once, but nowadays I can be listening to music whilst having a chat, sipping from a bottle of drink, approaching a roundabout, steer it with one hand and not think twice about what I'm doing, it just happens out of habit. When I look back at how I used to think driving and using the roads was so complicated, I laugh at myself tbh. The more you drive, the better you get because the more automatic it becomes, it really is that simple.

As for the lanes, after a while you get to know how these things work and generally, if you're referring to big traffic light roundabouts, they're all more or less the same. My system for those has always been, for example, if I'm taking the 4th exit, get in the 4th lane (or if there are less then 4 lanes then the far right lane - always the far right lane if there are less lanes than predicted); then as you approach the next traffic lights, you should be in the 3rd lane, as one lane has turned off so now the 3rd lane will be the one you were in and goes in the direction you want to go; then swoop to the second lane for the next traffic lights; then the left lane; then take your exit.

As for speed cameras, just know where they are. Having a good Sat Nav is essential if you're driving through unfamiliar territory. I'm a chronic speeder NGL, and I've been caught speeding ONCE - that time, I didn't have my Sat Nav, was going off my mate's guidance and he failed to tell me that there was a sneaky mobile speed camera spot where the police sit behind a bush with their handheld device. I was speeding, my fault and I got caught for it, but if I'd had my Sat Nav on instead then it'd have flagged up the camera hot spot and I'd have slowed down. I know it's not a recommendable way to drive and I'm not condoning speeding at all, but truth be told, the majority of road users are the same and if you're worried about getting caught, there's my advice for what to do and what to avoid doing. In short, as I said, just know where the cameras are and don't speed past them.
    I agree with you there with driving more and everything becoming 2nd nature. I passed on my 3rd attempt at the beginning of last month, and had my car for about 3 weeks (I think) now and I just drive around at every opportunity I get, so driving to and from work/uni and driving into town, etc. It's just getting that confidence without an instructor by your side and being alone whilst driving is the main thing really

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.