Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Things you struggle with mostly while learning to drive watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coldplasma)
    Why are you terrified of that? It sounds like you're underpracticed at those things and you should practice it incessantly until you get it every time.
    oh trust me, i have practised. i go out with my car pretty much every day with my mu and try reversing around corners but each time i mess it up by over or under turning just because i don't understand it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by baznoy)
    oh trust me, i have practised. i go out with my car pretty much every day with my mu and try reversing around corners but each time i mess it up by over or under turning just because i don't understand it.
    I'm exactly the same with reverse around the corner, I just cannot do it. It came up in my test and as soon as the examiner said to do a reverse around the corner, I knew then that I was going to fail the test (and I did). I'm just praying I don't get that in my next test.

ReputationRep:
    What you should do then is figure out some reference points for your car so you know exactly when to start turning. If you figure those out, literally all you have to do is full lock your steering when you pass a certain point and the car will just magically go into the right place.

ReputationRep:
    With reverse round the corner, when the curb is out of sight in the wing mirror, do one circle turn to the left with the steering wheel (works for me instead of full locking the steering wheel, so maybe try that?) and then when the curb starts to reappear in the wing mirror when you're reversing into the road, obviously go 2 car lengths back from the end of the road and with the car being next to the curb just make sure you sort it out by moving the steering wheel to position the car close to the curb (Obviously your instructor would instruct you to do that )

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'll be honest, other people's reference points have never ever worked for me because all cars are different. I've always just figured out where my reference points should be on my own.

ReputationRep:
    I passed first time today!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lemonandlime1)
    Congratulations :hugs: :woo:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lemonandlime1)
    Congratulations! :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So about 13 hours in now, the last few lessons we've been reversing left around a corner and doing a 3 point turn, my instructor says I'm doing these quite well. But I'm still terrible at steering and driving on the left side of the road and it's really frustrating! I can do the reversing and 3 point turn because of the reference points he gives me, but when I'm driving past parked cars I just keep driving too close or end up on the wrong side of the road. And he says I need to be taking long strides with the steering wheel when I turn, I usually turn like bit by bit so that I don't turn too quickly. I also can't get the hang of turning left or right, I just don't know when I'm supposed to start turning!
    Do you guys use reference points for turning and keeping on the left side or does it come naturally? I thought this would come naturally like the clutch did but I'm probably getting worse not better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Petulia)
    So about 13 hours in now, the last few lessons we've been reversing left around a corner and doing a 3 point turn, my instructor says I'm doing these quite well. But I'm still terrible at steering and driving on the left side of the road and it's really frustrating! I can do the reversing and 3 point turn because of the reference points he gives me, but when I'm driving past parked cars I just keep driving too close or end up on the wrong side of the road. And he says I need to be taking long strides with the steering wheel when I turn, I usually turn like bit by bit so that I don't turn too quickly. I also can't get the hang of turning left or right, I just don't know when I'm supposed to start turning!
    Do you guys use reference points for turning and keeping on the left side or does it come naturally? I thought this would come naturally like the clutch did but I'm probably getting worse not better.
    When I drive past parked cars and I know I'm close to them, I just check my mirrors and then move out into the road, providing there's nothing coming towards me or there's enough room for the other driver driving from the opposite direction, I wasn't that great when doing this when learning to drive, but managed to pick it up before I passed my test, so you'll get better ! Honestly I don't have any reference points as to driving on the left hand side, it just came naturally tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Eeek my test is in 2 weeks!

Trying not to feel nervous but i really want to pass this test!

im going to have a 2hr lesson this weekend and another 2 lessons next week

My test is at 9:32 in the morning, im hoping there wont be many cars around...or if there is we just sit in traffic.

hoping i get turn in the road because i know for sure if i get that ill pass (90% sure) if i get reverse around the corner
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Bad news - havent driven in ages and no idea when my test will be ;(

Good news - finished a finished a module of my MA :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fkx)

My test is at 9:32 in the morning, im hoping there wont be many cars around...or if there is we just sit in traffic.

hoping i get turn in the road because i know for sure if i get that ill pass (90% sure) if i get reverse around the corner
    Good luck!
    Ah I'd love a turn in the road

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fkx)

Ahh how exciting ! I'm sure you'll be fine, try and treat the test like a lesson, except you need to do well and pass (if that makes sense? )! And the roads shouldn't be too bad, should be quiet. When I passed my test, it was at the end of the school day, so I should've got back to the test centre at around 3:40, ended up getting back at around 4ish due to traffic and I genuinely assumed the roads were gonna be quietish as all the schools would've been out and home by around 3:30 ! And hopefully you'll get the manoeuvre you want

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack22031994)
    Bad news - havent driven in ages and no idea when my test will be ;(

Good news - finished a finished a module of my MA :woo:
    Aw bless, hope you get back into your lessons soon !

Ah that's good, well done!

Posted from TSR Mobile

school children suddenly running across the road...like me

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering if anyone has changed instructors (not very early on) and how it went?
    I'm a bit worried about a new instructor making me start completely for scratch, because it would be a huge waste of money. I've done 14 hours now and I'm picking things up slowly, but I have done manoeuvres like reversing around a corner, parallel parking, 3 point turn. These are the things I'm most confident at because it's just reversing very slowly and a bit of clutch control. But in terms of actually driving in a straight line, approaching main roads, steering enough, braking enough etc, I'm not doing great.

I panic quite a lot when my instructor makes my go onto the main road, and I'm a bit slow so he gets really frustrated and has to grab the wheel for me and then he has to brake suddenly for me too sometimes. Then he asks me to pull over and he basically tells me off. I understand why he's telling me off, but it's like... I KNOW I'm a bad driver, you don't need to keep telling me.
    And then at the end of the lesson he's really frustrated if we've had a bad lesson and he keeps going on and on like "yeah I'm not happy with that steering why aren't you gliding properly and your speed too you don't pick up I'm not happy it's not good" like.. he is right yeah.. but it's really demotivating and I suffer from anxiety and am just picking myself up from depression, and I literally feel like crying when he has a go at me. Today he literally even started to imitate me, he was like "as soon as you got to the main road you were like 'oh no I'm panicking' and didn't even look both ways and didn't even steer" and he was like imitating me in a really whiny voice (I barely even talk during lessons so I don't actually say anything when I'm panicked, he was just making fun of me). I don't even know how to respond when he has a go at me, I just say "mhmm.. ok.. yeah.." like I'm listening... but what am I supposed to say? And then he looks at me as if he wants me to say something or as if he thinks I'm not listening. Anyway it really knocks my confident and I feel so depressed and demotivated afterwards.

In terms of teaching, he is good at teaching me manoeuvres like when we're just doing something on a quiet road and not interacting with other cars, but when I mess up on a main road or when turning into junctions or near other cars he just makes me feel so bad. I know other people who are nervous drivers and their instructors seemed to shout a lot too. I just feel like maybe all instructors are like this? If your instructor doesn't shout at you much, then I think it's because you're a pretty decent driver anyway and you're not doing anything particularly dangerous and you're learning things quickly.

Anyway I'm thinking about looking for a new instructor after my next lesson with him on Wednesday, but I'm concerned that a new instructor will make me start from scratch, especially considering I'm pretty bad at some of the basics like knowing when to turn and steering straight etc, but I can do reversing manoeuvres confidently.

So have any of you guys changed instructors a bit late on? Most people know after the first few lessons if they don't like their instructor, but I think he was nice at first because he thought I would start picking things up faster, and as lessons have gone on it's like I'm making slower progress than he expected and it seems to be frustrating him.

ReputationRep:
    I'm also thinking about moving my theory test back again because I'm worried the same thing will happen the first time I had lessons 2 years ago (instructor used to make me feel really bad, gave up after 6 lessons and was too scared to start again until this October). I don't want to do it unless I'm certain that I won't be giving up on driving.
    Any other nervous drivers who can relate?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Petulia)
    Just wondering if anyone has changed instructors (not very early on) and how it went?
    I'm a bit worried about a new instructor making me start completely for scratch, because it would be a huge waste of money. I've done 14 hours now and I'm picking things up slowly, but I have done manoeuvres like reversing around a corner, parallel parking, 3 point turn. These are the things I'm most confident at because it's just reversing very slowly and a bit of clutch control. But in terms of actually driving in a straight line, approaching main roads, steering enough, braking enough etc, I'm not doing great.

I panic quite a lot when my instructor makes my go onto the main road, and I'm a bit slow so he gets really frustrated and has to grab the wheel for me and then he has to brake suddenly for me too sometimes. Then he asks me to pull over and he basically tells me off. I understand why he's telling me off, but it's like... I KNOW I'm a bad driver, you don't need to keep telling me.
    And then at the end of the lesson he's really frustrated if we've had a bad lesson and he keeps going on and on like "yeah I'm not happy with that steering why aren't you gliding properly and your speed too you don't pick up I'm not happy it's not good" like.. he is right yeah.. but it's really demotivating and I suffer from anxiety and am just picking myself up from depression, and I literally feel like crying when he has a go at me. Today he literally even started to imitate me, he was like "as soon as you got to the main road you were like 'oh no I'm panicking' and didn't even look both ways and didn't even steer" and he was like imitating me in a really whiny voice (I barely even talk during lessons so I don't actually say anything when I'm panicked, he was just making fun of me). I don't even know how to respond when he has a go at me, I just say "mhmm.. ok.. yeah.." like I'm listening... but what am I supposed to say? And then he looks at me as if he wants me to say something or as if he thinks I'm not listening. Anyway it really knocks my confident and I feel so depressed and demotivated afterwards.

In terms of teaching, he is good at teaching me manoeuvres like when we're just doing something on a quiet road and not interacting with other cars, but when I mess up on a main road or when turning into junctions or near other cars he just makes me feel so bad. I know other people who are nervous drivers and their instructors seemed to shout a lot too. I just feel like maybe all instructors are like this? If your instructor doesn't shout at you much, then I think it's because you're a pretty decent driver anyway and you're not doing anything particularly dangerous and you're learning things quickly.

Anyway I'm thinking about looking for a new instructor after my next lesson with him on Wednesday, but I'm concerned that a new instructor will make me start from scratch, especially considering I'm pretty bad at some of the basics like knowing when to turn and steering straight etc, but I can do reversing manoeuvres confidently.

So have any of you guys changed instructors a bit late on? Most people know after the first few lessons if they don't like their instructor, but I think he was nice at first because he thought I would start picking things up faster, and as lessons have gone on it's like I'm making slower progress than he expected and it seems to be frustrating him.
    I changed my instructor 5 months into learning, purely because my first instructor went on to become a driving examiner. But with my 2nd instructor just explained what I did with the 1st instructor, and went from there. I passed on my 3rd attempt but in terms of getting used to driving a different car I got used to it fairly quickly ! But if you definitely do decide to switch instructors, just remember to do your research of what they're like, etc and just explain to them why you're switching and where you're at in terms of learning

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ohhello92x)
    I changed my instructor 5 months into learning, purely because my first instructor went on to become a driving examiner. But with my 2nd instructor just explained what I did with the 1st instructor, and went from there. I passed on my 3rd attempt but in terms of getting used to driving a different car I got used to it fairly quickly ! But if you definitely do decide to switch instructors, just remember to do your research of what they're like, etc and just explain to them why you're switching and where you're at in terms of learning

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks for replying. Were you a nervous driver? And did you feel like you were repeating things when you got a new instructor or starting things from scratch again? I feel like in the first one or two lessons especially, they would ask me to start from the basics and see that I'm not really great at the turning and steering etc and treat me as if I'm a complete beginner again. It's costing me a lot that's why I don't want to waste my money by changing instructors... but at the same time I'm not confident enough to confront my current instructor so I would rather just leave him.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.