Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spock's Socks)
    Hey everyone :hugs:

How are you lessons going? Does anyone have their test coming up before xmas?

I'll need to go back to lessons after xmas after a 6 months break. Looking forward to going back but still don't see me ever passing :laugh:
    The lessons are going ok thanks, just need to keep concentration and calm and I'll pass soon enough. I mainly struggle at junctions and overthink or have a brain fart. Often I probably don't slow down quickly enough on approach though. Also meeting and approaching at narrow roads is something I find tricky as I tend to make the wrong decision a lot. I also tend to drift a lot whilst driving for some reason otherwise I'm not too bad hah. Just want to pass now though, lots of people my age and younger have passed now and I feel a bit left behind. I don't want to rely on public transport and lifts anymore. I'm sure we'll both get there in the end though, just keep trying I guess

ReputationRep:

I'll need to go back to lessons after xmas after a 6 months break. Looking forward to going back but still don't see me ever passing :laugh:
    Got mine literally 2 days before xmas. I want to get the red licence for xmas, but I also don't want to get my hopes too high

ReputationRep:

I feel the same, Its weird to think of myself actually passing. The thought of it is quite frightening, but I think that's a normal feeling? Idk.
    My test is in January though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    I feel the same, Its weird to think of myself actually passing. The thought of it is quite frightening, but I think that's a normal feeling? Idk.
    My test is in January though!
    I felt that before I passed, so it's normal I guess and I'm sure you'll be fine for January

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My test is tomorrow, my first ever one. I'm so nervous, I haven't been able to sleep all week...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ohmydog)
    My test is tomorrow, my first ever one. I'm so nervous, I haven't been able to sleep all week...
    You'll be fine. Let us know how you do!
    Do you have a lesson beforehand?

ReputationRep:
    Back from my test and i failed was really hoping i would pass before the end of this year as well

There was so much traffic round my area, my test was meant to start at 9:27 ended up starting at 9:45. Did independent driving first and went to an area I've only been to once with my instructor, completely messed up the roundabout so had to go to a side road, reverse around the corner and carry on, had no idea where i was going

Then we stopped on a hill, and i put my handbrake on, when moving off i forgot to put in first gear so the car rolled back; another serious

I kept driving to close to the kerb, once touched it and examiner had to hold the wheel.

It was just awful, and the examiner himself wasn't very nice, also had someone else in the car who was observing the examiner. I think that made me nervous and in general the fact there was so many people and traffic made me even more nervous.

Im going to book another one, and maybe take lessons with a different instructor cos i feel mine is getting annoyed with me in lessons and I'm a little annoyed he only took me to this test route once during lessons.how unlucky was i to get that route as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    You'll be fine. Let us know how you do!
    Do you have a lesson beforehand?
    Yes a 1 hour one which is good cause I always make mistakes when I start off, hopefully I'll brush them off in time for the test!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fkx)
    Back from my test and i failed was really hoping i would pass before the end of this year as well

There was so much traffic round my area, my test was meant to start at 9:27 ended up starting at 9:45. Did independent driving first and went to an area I've only been to once with my instructor, completely messed up the roundabout so had to go to a side road, reverse around the corner and carry on, had no idea where i was going

Then we stopped on a hill, and i put my handbrake on, when moving off i forgot to put in first gear so the car rolled back; another serious

I kept driving to close to the kerb, once touched it and examiner had to hold the wheel.

It was just awful, and the examiner himself wasn't very nice, also had someone else in the car who was observing the examiner. I think that made me nervous and in general the fact there was so many people and traffic made me even more nervous.

Im going to book another one, and maybe take lessons with a different instructor cos i feel mine is getting annoyed with me in lessons and I'm a little annoyed he only took me to this test route once during lessons.how unlucky was i to get that route as well
    I'm really sorry to hear about your experience. Try to stay positive and think of it this way, that everytime you fail you test you can spend more time learning and become a safer driver. The annoying bit when I failed was finding a relatively soon test and an instructor who was willing to take me.
    Keep trying and you WILL get there

ReputationRep:
    paying for lessons...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fkx)

How many lessons have you had? Take more lessons don't book another test until you are ready. book a test between 10am and 2pm any other slots do not take that test date.

Who is your training instructor? save money from now and only book with AA driving school, rest will just be taking your money but won't teach you everything that is required to pass this test. Also I don't work for AA just to set the record straight, I am only saying my experience as a learner with an independent driving instructor and comparing to AA standard, the AA was better, I passed first time after dropping my independent instructor due to unprofessionalism and also I didn't trust him...its a long story won't elaborate unless you want to hear it.

Are there any youtube videos of the test routes for that test centre? If you do find watch them religiously and show your instructor, you must do all the test routes with him/her a lot until you are comfortable.

Also what helped me a lot was visualization I imagined my whole test before hand to calm myself down. I spent 3 hours doing this; keep your eyes closed lying back on your bed and imagine yourself at the test centre, reading the licence plate, getting into the car answering all 15 show me tell me questions (in reality you will be asked only 2 but know all 15 and how to answer them) then how I will set off from the test centre, how I will manage the car smoothly, how I will take every hump in the road, how I will make my observations mirror signal maneuver, how many times I will glance in the rear view mirror, how my hands will be placed on the steering wheel, and many other things I learnt during my lessons.

My instructor in the 10 minutes before my test in the car we sat there before entering the test centre, he said to me this practical driving test people fail it because they join traffic from a give way sign too quickly, I didn't argue about lingering also can cause a fail, it might be a minor and not serious fault for lingering I was thinking, I was stopped 6 times by the examiner during my test on the hill stop one, I put the car in gear found the biting point and was about to release the hand brake then I saw a long trail of cars perhaps 6 cars coming perhaps 60 yards away I could have pulled ahead and joined not wasting time, but I remembered something else my instructor said at give way signs you are not priority wait do not make the one that has priority have to break to allow you into the flow of traffic by forcing yourself in, this he told me at roundabouts is a serious fault, so at the roundabouts I did wait similarly at junctions, strictly speaking this hill start and joining traffic is not a give way sign but again I felt inside it was wrong for me to join and be driving at a lower speed and after six stops and starts by the examiner already I told the examiner I am going to wait for these six cars to pass before I rejoin traffic because I do not want to interrupt their journey because I will be asked to stop again shortly by the examiner so I told the examiner this.

But to be very honest with you despite this rejoining from give way sign as an identified hazard on the hazard perception test and my instructor mentioning it and also on the test being tested on it by the examiner, this is part of real life driving if you don't take your chances you will be waiting perhaps for ever at a roundabout and the cars behind you hooting on their horns behind you. lol. Just don't take this risk in the practical test otherwise in real life you just do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by futuremedic19)
    I'm really sorry to hear about your experience. Try to stay positive and think of it this way, that everytime you fail you test you can spend more time learning and become a safer driver. The annoying bit when I failed was finding a relatively soon test and an instructor who was willing to take me.
    Keep trying and you WILL get there

Thank you for your message

I just feel so annoyed because I really wanted to pass today and just stop with lessons. I've had over 30 lessons, probably close to 40 now, and I feel like my instructor's getting annoyed as well. Bit annoyed I only went this test route once before (Waltham Abbey if anyone is interested) and now having to wait 3 months for the next one is putting me off.

I had a chat with my parents, and I am going to change instructors, I'll do my lessons with my auntie's instructor who she passed with (after 6 goes! if she can do it, I can. Her instructor was able to get an earlier test every time she failed, sometimes within a week).

I'll probably take a break from driving for a week or two and focus on uni assignments/exams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dimple1234)
    How many lessons have you had? Take more lessons don't book another test until you are ready. book a test between 10am and 2pm any other slots do not take that test date.

Who is your training instructor? save money from now and only book with AA driving school, rest will just be taking your money but won't teach you everything that is required to pass this test. Also I don't work for AA just to set the record straight, I am only saying my experience as a learner with an independent driving instructor and comparing to AA standard, the AA was better, I passed first time after dropping my independent instructor due to unprofessionalism and also I didn't trust him...its a long story won't elaborate unless you want to hear it.

Are there any youtube videos of the test routes for that test centre? If you do find watch them religiously and show your instructor, you must do all the test routes with him/her a lot until you are comfortable.

Also what helped me a lot was visualization I imagined my whole test before hand to calm myself down. I spent 3 hours doing this; keep your eyes closed lying back on your bed and imagine yourself at the test centre, reading the licence plate, getting into the car answering all 15 show me tell me questions (in reality you will be asked only 2 but know all 15 and how to answer them) then how I will set off from the test centre, how I will manage the car smoothly, how I will take every hump in the road, how I will make my observations mirror signal maneuver, how many times I will glance in the rear view mirror, how my hands will be placed on the steering wheel, and many other things I learnt during my lessons.

My instructor in the 10 minutes before my test in the car we sat there before entering the test centre, he said to me this practical driving test people fail it because they join traffic from a give way sign too quickly, I didn't argue about lingering also can cause a fail, it might be a minor and not serious fault for lingering I was thinking, I was stopped 6 times by the examiner during my test on the hill stop one, I put the car in gear found the biting point and was about to release the hand brake then I saw a long trail of cars perhaps 6 cars coming perhaps 60 yards away I could have pulled ahead and joined not wasting time, but I remembered something else my instructor said at give way signs you are not priority wait do not make the one that has priority have to break to allow you into the flow of traffic by forcing yourself in, this he told me at roundabouts is a serious fault, so at the roundabouts I did wait similarly at junctions, strictly speaking this hill start and joining traffic is not a give way sign but again I felt inside it was wrong for me to join and be driving at a lower speed and after six stops and starts by the examiner already I told the examiner I am going to wait for these six cars to pass before I rejoin traffic because I do not want to interrupt their journey because I will be asked to stop again shortly by the examiner so I told the examiner this.

But to be very honest with you despite this rejoining from give way sign as an identified hazard on the hazard perception test and my instructor mentioning it and also on the test being tested on it by the examiner, this is part of real life driving if you don't take your chances you will be waiting perhaps for ever at a roundabout and the cars behind you hooting on their horns behind you. lol. Just don't take this risk in the practical test otherwise in real life you just do it.
    Hey, I've taken around 30 lessons, probably close to 40 now. It's with an independent instructor, and yes I will be changing.

I'll try around another instructor, two of my aunties were taught by him and they both passed (after a couple of tests). I didn't want to go with a driving school as I feel they charge too much but hey, I can't comment as I don't know much about it.

The route I took in my test this morning was one I've been to once before with my instructor. I had no idea where I was going, and cos it was I dependant driving this made it worse.

Booked my next one for March, will be looking out for earlier ones and hopefully the new instructor I go with can also bring it forward. My current instructor said he can't do anything, only I can check for cancellations, but my aunties instructor (the one I'm going with) manages to get earlier test within a week or two.

I'm obviously gutted at failing again, this was my third test and I was hoping it will be third time lucky for me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    @fkx you've done three tests and you only have under 40 hours of learning to drive? That's not enough instruction and you are rushing the tests, that's how I feel.

When you have assignments and exams out of the way take a bit more time to reflect on what is going wrong in the tests before booking again, at least do that much. Without knowing and acting on what you've done wrong you won't ever get it right.

On the first day with the new instructor concentrate on having a smooth driving session, pretend its a test and your new instructor is a examiner. So after under 40 hours instruction you know all the maneuvers by now, show him/her you can do them, then mirror signal maneuver the whole time handle the car smoothly and remaining calm (it doesn't matter if the roads are busy, keep calm, its all in hand that sort of thing ). I'm sure if you ace that, your new instructor will tell you you need perhaps maximum under 10 lessons before you can take a test, so just remain as calm as that every lesson from there until your test date and remember do what I told you that youtube videos and do all the routes then also must do the visualization on test day to calm you down and all be fine for test no.4.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dimple1234)
    @fkx you've done three tests and you only have under 40 hours of learning to drive? That's not enough instruction and you are rushing the tests, that's how I feel.

When you have assignments and exams out of the way take a bit more time to reflect on what is going wrong in the tests before booking again, at least do that much. Without knowing and acting on what you've done wrong you won't ever get it right.

On the first day with the new instructor concentrate on having a smooth driving session, pretend its a test and your new instructor is a examiner. So after under 40 hours instruction you know all the maneuvers by now, show him/her you can do them, then mirror signal maneuver the whole time handle the car smoothly and remaining calm (it doesn't matter if the roads are busy, keep calm, its all in hand that sort of thing ). I'm sure if you ace that, your new instructor will tell you you need perhaps maximum under 10 lessons before you can take a test, so just remain as calm as that every lesson from there until your test date and remember do what I told you that youtube videos and do all the routes then also must do the visualization on test day to calm you down and all be fine for test no.4.
    In all honesty, I think I am ready to pass now. I just get too nervous, e,g today going to a different test route, so much traffic and roadworks plus someone else being in the car with me.The examiner also didn't make me feel comfortable.

I will be watching youtube videos, I currently watch worlddriving on youtube, which is a great channel.
    I'll book a lesson in about 2 weeks time, and with my new instructor tell him I've had lessons and tests before and hopefully he can help me with my nerves and where I'm going wrong. I need to pass before May as my theory expires in June.

ReputationRep:
    I've got a question about a strange roundabout near me that I don't exactly know how to approach and was wondering whether someone can help me out. Below is the street view of the road sign for the roundabout:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.67...7i13312!8i6656

There are two lanes on the approach to the roundabout. Suppose you want to get off at Woodford (3rd exit), how do you approach the roundabout? The way I would approach it in the test is I'd get into the right hand lane and start indicating right (because it's just past 12o'clock on the sign, despite geographically it's straight ahead). However, my instructor contends that you don't need to indicate right and infact, it might even mislead traffic behind you into thinking you're going to Waltham Abbey (4th exit at 3o'clock). The highway code seems to be pretty clear that you should approach on the right indicating right if the exit is on the right, but I can see the instructor's point. Who's correct? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ohmydog)
    Good luck, and let us know how you get on !
    Just make sure you get an early night, eat and drink something before your lesson/test, and go over the 'show me, tell me' questions , and I'm sure you'll be fine

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fkx)

Oh no , sorry to hear :hugs:! I passed 3rd time, and when I did my 2nd attempt I had someone sit in observing the examiner, so I know how it feels and it caused me to mess up big time and fail, so it was 3rd time lucky for me !

If you do book another test and then find another instructor, just remember to make sure they can do the date you choose and I'm sure you'll pass next time :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coldplasma)
    I've got a question about a strange roundabout near me that I don't exactly know how to approach and was wondering whether someone can help me out. Below is the street view of the road sign for the roundabout:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.67...7i13312!8i6656

There are two lanes on the approach to the roundabout. Suppose you want to get off at Woodford (3rd exit), how do you approach the roundabout? The way I would approach it in the test is I'd get into the right hand lane and start indicating right (because it's just past 12o'clock on the sign, despite geographically it's straight ahead). However, my instructor contends that you don't need to indicate right and infact, it might even mislead traffic behind you into thinking you're going to Waltham Abbey (4th exit at 3o'clock). The highway code seems to be pretty clear that you should approach on the right indicating right if the exit is on the right, but I can see the instructor's point. Who's correct? Thanks!
    I'd listen to the instructor, it sounds more logical because you're not actually turning right

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fkx)
    Hey, I've taken around 30 lessons, probably close to 40 now. It's with an independent instructor, and yes I will be changing.

I'll try around another instructor, two of my aunties were taught by him and they both passed (after a couple of tests). I didn't want to go with a driving school as I feel they charge too much but hey, I can't comment as I don't know much about it.

The route I took in my test this morning was one I've been to once before with my instructor. I had no idea where I was going, and cos it was I dependant driving this made it worse.

Booked my next one for March, will be looking out for earlier ones and hopefully the new instructor I go with can also bring it forward. My current instructor said he can't do anything, only I can check for cancellations, but my aunties instructor (the one I'm going with) manages to get earlier test within a week or two.

I'm obviously gutted at failing again, this was my third test and I was hoping it will be third time lucky for me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi it took me ages to pass and I went through an unbelievable amount of frustration and failure along the way but you WILL get there.
    What I did was use one of the companies that search for cancellations and can get you a sooner test date (driving test cancellations 4 all was the name)

I know it literally is the most frustrating test to get through in life and believe me it's the only test I've ever done where it just takes one silly mistake to fail. I mean you could literally have the perfect drive but one moment of loss of concentration where you forgot to check your mirror etc.. can be enough for a fail.

It doesn't matter how many tests you take. I remember when I passed my test I literally thought I failed right outside the test centre because I went through an amber light and I saw the examiner write something down, so I literaly spent the rest of the test thinking I have nothing to lose.
    Turns out I made no mistake and only had 1 minor for the test and that was for something else.
    Just relax for your next test and try and enjoy the drive

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.