Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Things you struggle with mostly while learning to drive Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissDetermined)
    Managed to bring my (third) test forward to next month (it was booked for july). Waiting times are getting longer now so was looking for cancellations. Going to make sure I perfect my parellel parks even more now haha. I'm so used to my instructor guiding me still in the lessons, so I'm going to ensure he remains silent during all my manoevers so I get used to doing it 100% alone and get used to not having anyone talk to me.
    Oooh well done for bring your test forward for next month ! You'll be fine and fingers crossed you'll pass

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhilipG1)
    QUESTION: is the reverse around the corner still a manoeuvre to learn?

Been driving for 2 and a bit years and never used it once. It's so pointless.
    When I was learning I was taught it. I've been driving 7 months now and I've only used it the once

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Good that they're scrapping it, it's the worst manoeuvre and barely gets used in the real world.

Also if anyone needs any advice don't hesitate to ask.
    I know they're scrapping the reverse round the corner and replacing it with driving into a parked space then reversing out of it in the practical test. But idk if learners would be still taught it though ! But the driving into a parked space then reversing out of it is more of a realistic one - I was taught this the once when I was learning, and the majority of the time I use this manoeuvre

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by starfab)
    Yes still a manoeuvre to learn. I think they're scrapping it from Dec onwards, not too sure tbh.
    The manoeuvre is getting scrapped in the practical test and being replaced with driving into a parking space then reversing out.

Idk if learners are still expected to be taught reverse round the corner in lessons or not :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bubblegumcat)
    thank you! lets hope i don't get a parallel park
    I got parallel park in my last attempt, think it was a little dodgy but it wasn't a massive thing - can't remember what the examiner said exactly though, was buzzing when I passed

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ohhello92x)
    I got parallel park in my last attempt, think it was a little dodgy but it wasn't a massive thing - can't remember what the examiner said exactly though, was buzzing when I passed

Posted from TSR Mobile
    aww well done! I managed to do it correctly in my last lesson but i'm not sure if that will happen again...i ended up postponing my test until the end of june bc i don't think i'm ready and my driving instructor also thinks that as well haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spock's Socks)
    So after a year out of lessons due to my health, I'm now back at driving lessons. I had my first lesson today and it was with a new instructor. I made a thread like this last year when I first started and thought I'd make another

I think back then, gears were my biggest hurdle. Now its definitely the clutch and acceleration. I either don't rev enough or I don't lift the clutch up in time or all that jazz. Stalled 3 times today and all at busy junctions after a year out though, I was expecting it. Not a lover of reversing either. I can reverse perfectly in a straight line but that's it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Slowing down in the school zone is always hard.

My warrior instinct tells me to accelerate.

Srs
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Another driving lesson today, whenever I approach a roundabout it's clear yet I still stop for some reason. I guess it's because I can't get the bite point quick enough.

ReputationRep:
    aww well done! I managed to do it correctly in my last lesson but i'm not sure if that will happen again...i ended up postponing my test until the end of june bc i don't think i'm ready and my driving instructor also thinks that as well haha.
    Thanks ! Oh that's good ! Fair enough, hopefully between now and the end of June you'll feel ready to take your practical

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Judging the cars width lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ohhello92x)
    Thanks ! Oh that's good ! Fair enough, hopefully between now and the end of June you'll feel ready to take your practical

Posted from TSR Mobile
    yes hopefully! i was actually supposed to do it in april but i postponed it as i changed the centre, i was silly to think id be ready by then bc I wasnt, and then I thought id be ready for this friday but I'm honestly not, so hopefully a month will give me good time to prepare better!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ProAhito)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I struggled with this a lot
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by ProAhito)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I get what you mean lol, it's kind of hard.

ReputationRep:
    yes hopefully! i was actually supposed to do it in april but i postponed it as i changed the centre, i was silly to think id be ready by then bc I wasnt, and then I thought id be ready for this friday but I'm honestly not, so hopefully a month will give me good time to prepare better!
    Fair enough

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Judging width can be tricky, especially when you have a license for one of these!

Name:  IMG_3276.JPG
Views: 88
Size:  21.5 KB

ReputationRep:
    I still can't perfect getting on a slip road to get on a dual carriageway! My brain can't do more than one thing at a time! So I'm trying to get to the appropriate speed and look to see if there's room!! But it just goes wrong. So I'll be doing 40-45mph on a slip road! It's so dangerous!

Any advice? Cause the next time I'll be doing it I'll on my own!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andi.)
    Judging width can be tricky, especially when you have a license for one of these!

Name:  IMG_3276.JPG
Views: 88
Size:  21.5 KB
    Hahaha I work as a driver for a rental car/van company and regularly drive Luton box vans and LWB vans, length and width of the vehicles did catch me out a few times at first but not its like driving a long car

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha I work as a driver for a rental car/van company and regularly drive Luton box vans and LWB vans, length and width of the vehicles did catch me out a few times at first but not its like driving a long car
    It is a shock to the system at first, but you quickly get used to it, even something like this!

My dad owns a haulage business so I would move the tractor units around the yard from about 14, so it was fine for me.

I rarely drive one that size now, although I do have a horsebox that's classed as a HGV.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shanj0nes)
    I still can't perfect getting on a slip road to get on a dual carriageway! My brain can't do more than one thing at a time! So I'm trying to get to the appropriate speed and look to see if there's room!! But it just goes wrong. So I'll be doing 40-45mph on a slip road! It's so dangerous!

Any advice? Cause the next time I'll be doing it I'll on my own!
    To start with use the slip road to build speed fairly quickly, that way when you are getting near the point to join the main carriageway, your speed will be closer to the other road users and it will make slotting in easier as the gaps then seem larger when your speed is closer to everyone else.

ReputationRep:
    I've been struggling with something eversince I started driving. I passed my test a while ago and have my own car and insurance. My clutch control, roundabouts etc.. are all fine however I really struggle at times with judging distance between from parked cars and oncoming vehicles from the right, especially when you need to make a decision on when to hold back or decide if there's enough space to for both you and the oncoming vehicle. I remember even when I was learning I always struggled with judging the distance from the kerb when pulling over and had to use the wiper blade as a reference point.

I appreciate that with practice and experience I will get used to my cars dimensions etc.. however I really have this fear that I will hit someones wing mirror. It remember times where I've been driving and a sitiuation occured where this young lad shouted at me "your as thick as a brick" and once I've seen an oncoming driver signalling to me that I'm leaving too much of a gap from parked cars.

I'm a good safe driver but it's really embarassing to admit that my brain just cant grasp how to judge the right distance. Does anyone have any tips and tricks they could recommend me. Tbh with the amount of sellotaped up wing mirrors you see nowadays with most people folding their mirrors when parked goes to show that it's not just me who worries about this.

Many thanks in advance

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.