Turn on thread page Beta

Things you struggle with mostly while learning to drive watch

• Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    (Original post by smellybelly1991)
    I had to right R and L on my wrists for my test haha epic fail!! Its so embarrassing even now when someone tells me to take the next left..I freeze and think 'ahh Fu$k'!
    Ahahahah xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    Yeh! I was fortunate that my sister used the same instructor before me after she'd moved from one previously. She's older than me, so had him before me, so I could see how much she'd improved with him, she passed first time despite all odds, and he was really good... So I could trust him knowing he'd do a great job...

Manoeuvres imo are good to get right, mainly because, just a small **** up in it, and that can kinda screw your test, but it's such a small part of driving to get failed on... Lots of practice :yy: And don't worry about them, it wasn't until about 2 days before my test that I could do parallel park and stuff, and on the morning of my test, when my instructor got me to do each once or twice, I think I cocked each of them up majorly... Only in my test did I do it right!! Now, I'm perfect at them all of course
    Ah that's good fair enough

When I first started learning to drive, I used the instructor my sister used when she was learning, but I didn't like him and wasn't really confident learning with him as I found he was rude with me, so stopped learning for about a year and then found a decent instructor but since then he became a driving examiner so got a new one who is just as good

Yeah I'd rather get my manoeuvres right before my test

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    (Original post by ohhello92x)
    Ah that's good fair enough

When I first started learning to drive, I used the instructor my sister used when she was learning, but I didn't like him and wasn't really confident learning with him as I found he was rude with me, so stopped learning for about a year and then found a decent instructor but since then he became a driving examiner so got a new one who is just as good

Yeah I'd rather get my manoeuvres right before my test

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ahh fair enough, yeh, some instructors just don't gel well with everyone... Some like a more relaxed approach... My oldest sister, she liked having an instructor who was more chilled, but then he also cancelled a lot of lessons at short notice... Whereas me and my other sister preferred having someone who never cancelled a lesson, was firm and good, but had a great laugh at the same time...

Yup haha, should take the nerves off a bit!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moment of truth)
    Has your instructor told you to look for cancellations? How much practice have you had on manoeuvres so far? I know I am not an instructor, but if you are already doing manoeuvres then surely you will be ready before August for your test? It is advisable to get loads of practice in and so it might be a good move to have it in August, but it's just a thought.
    My instructor has said if I'm confident with the manoeuvres then bring the test forward but it's just a confidence thing with them really I do the manoeuvres every lesson but it's just trying to find someone willing to let me practice my manoeuvres outside of my lessons, would ask my parents but they drive automatic and I'm learning manual

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ahh fair enough, yeh, some instructors just don't gel well with everyone... Some like a more relaxed approach... My oldest sister, she liked having an instructor who was more chilled, but then he also cancelled a lot of lessons at short notice... Whereas me and my other sister preferred having someone who never cancelled a lesson, was firm and good, but had a great laugh at the same time...

Yup haha, should take the nerves off a bit!
    Haha yeah exactly! I prefer someone who is firm, knows what they're doing and is good

Yeah exactly

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Haha yeah exactly! I prefer someone who is firm, knows what they're doing and is good

Yeah exactly

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Awesome!! Keep practicing then, and it'll all come together!! Plenty of time to get it all great for your test :yy:

ReputationRep:
    Nah, that's not silly... It just takes practice to know how much the wheels will turn with the steering wheel!! It's better to think of it as turning the steering wheel is guiding the car and so you don't need to turn it too sharply generally! You'll get the hang of it!!
    Thank you for the reassuring words...hopefully I'll improve soon

(Original post by smellybelly1991)
    Knowing my left and right (no joke)
    I honestly didn't know I had this issue until I started learning...didn't help when my instructor accidently said "Indicator stick up to turn left" :lol:
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Biryani007)
    Thank you for the reassuring words...hopefully I'll improve soon

I honestly didn't know I had this issue until I started learning...didn't help when my instructor accidently said "Indicator stick up to turn left" :lol:
    You definitely will! It's literally just practicing so it becomes more natural!!

ReputationRep:
    Awesome!! Keep practicing then, and it'll all come together!! Plenty of time to get it all great for your test :yy:
    Exactly

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My instructor has said if I'm confident with the manoeuvres then bring the test forward but it's just a confidence thing with them really I do the manoeuvres every lesson but it's just trying to find someone willing to let me practice my manoeuvres outside of my lessons, would ask my parents but they drive automatic and I'm learning manual

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, I know what you mean. I wasn't completely confident with my manoeuvres when I took my test, and ones like bay parking (even though it's supposed to be fairly straightforward) I haven't done even after passing my test :lol:

My parents both drive automatic cars and I learned in manual but I still thought that having the extra practice would be good and it helped me a lot with confidence with roundabouts, in particular, but even with manoeuvres. I know it's different cause you don't have a clutch and is easier, but the process is still similar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moment of truth)
    Yeah, I know what you mean. I wasn't completely confident with my manoeuvres when I took my test, and ones like bay parking (even though it's supposed to be fairly straightforward) I haven't done even after passing my test :lol:

My parents both drive automatic cars and I learned in manual but I still thought that having the extra practice would be good and it helped me a lot with confidence with roundabouts, in particular, but even with manoeuvres. I know it's different cause you don't have a clutch and is easier, but the process is still similar.
    Yeah fair enough

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Learning with BSM - started 3 weeks ago, done 12h up til now and sitting my theory test this saturday hoping to sit the practical exam in june if possible or july if there's no available slots!

Started reversing today and it's definitely the hardest part about driving in my opinion, just completely different to "standard" driving where you're mostly looking ahead and have much better control

ReputationRep:
    Booked my driving test! :party:

The soonest I could get was 11th August but my instructor has told me to check daily for cancellations for June or July so you never know, might get my test sooner but at least its booked

The time is 2:37pm, so not too early

ReputationRep:
    Managed to get my driving test pushed up to 4th July! That's perfect. Not too close but not too far away either. Sticking to that date. I'm a happy chappy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spock's Socks)
    Managed to get my driving test pushed up to 4th July! That's perfect. Not too close but not too far away either. Sticking to that date. I'm a happy chappy
    Ah that's good, well done

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Metrododo)
    Learning with BSM - started 3 weeks ago, done 12h up til now and sitting my theory test this saturday hoping to sit the practical exam in june if possible or july if there's no available slots!

Started reversing today and it's definitely the hardest part about driving in my opinion, just completely different to "standard" driving where you're mostly looking ahead and have much better control
    Good luck for tomorrow.

ReputationRep:

Best of luck with your theory test! let us know how you get on

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rayquaza17)
    Good luck for tomorrow.
    Best of luck with your theory test! let us know how you get on

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks! I'm just really nervous for the hazard perception test in particular - done lots of practise tests but sometimes the marking on them just seems weird

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! I'm just really nervous for the hazard perception test in particular - done lots of practise tests but sometimes the marking on them just seems weird
    You'll be fine I done my theory in March and I was a nervous wreck especially over the HP part of the test but shock horror, I passed that with flying colours and just passed the question part of the test :laugh:

It took me about 7 videos into the test to I realise the videos were CGI and not real life like practice videos on my CD ROMs They either look very real or I am bloody oblivious :laugh:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You'll be fine I done my theory in March and I was a nervous wreck especially over the HP part of the test but shock horror, I passed that with flying colours and just passed the question part of the test :laugh:

It took me about 7 videos into the test to I realise the videos were CGI and not real life like practice videos on my CD ROMs They either look very real or I am bloody oblivious :laugh:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    On the test myself I was focusing more on the people to see if they were real than clicking lmao

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.