Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I still have this problem with my mum forcing me to do chemistry at Alevel.
    Every time we talk about uni choices there is an argument. We recently had mocks at school and I passed everything aside from chemistry, I do maths economics chem and media.
    My mum is so against me going On to A2 with media, she says no matter what I am dropping it, she even goes as far as to say I will do A2 with maths and economics if I fail chemistry and drop media, even though time after time I have told her that it's nots possible. I really have no interest at all in chemistry or science in general. I'm bored in lessons and understand nothing, however I put hours into revision and still failed, chemistry is just not for me and she doesn't seem to understand.
    I want to do something along the lines of finance & economics at university, but she always brings race into it " minorities always find it harder to ind jobs in those sectors" which may be true, but it doesn't have to be so for me, and even then surely the same could be said for the science sector aswell?
    I'm sick having limited control over my future, I'm stuck at a sixth form I hate because e wouldn't let me apply to any other sixth forms.
    I'm scared I'm going to end up going down a career path I have no interest in.

ReputationRep:
    Is your mum African by any chance?

Mine forced me to do A-level Maths which was very annoying. I agreed to it, just as long as I got to pick my other A-level subjects. As long as your other subjects are accepted by the university course that you're looking at (which they should be) it shouldn't be a problem. Still, you know yourself. If you think you're going to fail Chemistry or are passionate about doing Media, you have to simply pick your subjects without telling your mum beforehand. Once your timetable is set there really isn't anything she can do x

I got a job in Financial Services fairly easily even though I did law. What she said about minorities not being able to find work in that sector isn't true.

ReputationRep:
    yeah she is African, and I've decided I'm just going to try my best in the subjects I love and obviously try as hard has as I can in chemistry! I know that with hard work I can get ABB with my other three subjects, but with chemistry I'll be VERY lucky to pass at all. I've tried explaining to her that if I am struggling this hard at AS, Doing the exam at A2 will destroy my chances at Getting into the uni I want to ( I need ABB)

Posted from TSR Mobile

University open days

1. University of Edinburgh
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  2. University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  3. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.