The Student Room Group

Complicated repeat year

I'm a full-time final year student atm, but due to adverse personal circumstances, it looks highly unlikely I'll be able finish this year.

This is hypothetical atm. Part of the issue is left over credits from last year. If I were to 'withdraw' (as in stop taking this years courses), but complete last years credits this year, and repeat next year, would I still be able to get full funding? Effectively, little would change about my workload (aside from being drastically reduced from what is currently unusually more, it'd still be about the same as n previous years). I'd still have exams, and coursework to complete, and all classes are basically over anyway. In addition, repeating would likely mean coursework over the summer (final project), so not only would it be similar to normal progression, I'd still probably be required to do more work than in previous years anyway.

So if I were to do the above, would I still be able to get my final loan instalment? Nothing would change about my finances otherwise; I still have rent, bills etc... and the existing work would prevent me from taking up sufficient employment to cover any of it. I'm ineligible for benefits.

The stress from the finicial situation is exacerbating the personal things (mental health issues), and is currently probably the biggest hindrance to getting on. If it can't be answered here, would anyone know where I can find someone talk to someone about it? Thanks. :smile:
Original post by Confused_55
I'm a full-time final year student atm, but due to adverse personal circumstances, it looks highly unlikely I'll be able finish this year.

This is hypothetical atm. Part of the issue is left over credits from last year. If I were to 'withdraw' (as in stop taking this years courses), but complete last years credits this year, and repeat next year, would I still be able to get full funding? Effectively, little would change about my workload (aside from being drastically reduced from what is currently unusually more, it'd still be about the same as n previous years). I'd still have exams, and coursework to complete, and all classes are basically over anyway. In addition, repeating would likely mean coursework over the summer (final project), so not only would it be similar to normal progression, I'd still probably be required to do more work than in previous years anyway.

So if I were to do the above, would I still be able to get my final loan instalment? Nothing would change about my finances otherwise; I still have rent, bills etc... and the existing work would prevent me from taking up sufficient employment to cover any of it. I'm ineligible for benefits.

The stress from the finicial situation is exacerbating the personal things (mental health issues), and is currently probably the biggest hindrance to getting on. If it can't be answered here, would anyone know where I can find someone talk to someone about it? Thanks. :smile:

You need to speak to your university about this - it will depend on whether they consider you to be repeating as an attending student for the remainder of the year and whether you will meet the "intensity" requirements of SFE for full time funding.
Reply 2
Thanks for replying, and I will do. Also, lets say it's all fine, would there be anyway to get the extra loan I didn't get because it was my final year, given it'd effectively be my penultimate year? Thanks :smile:
Original post by Confused_55
Thanks for replying, and I will do. Also, lets say it's all fine, would there be anyway to get the extra loan I didn't get because it was my final year, given it'd effectively be my penultimate year? Thanks :smile:

You'd need to ring up SFE to explain that you'll be repeating your final year next year and asking them if that means your loan for this year will increase. They'll explain if it's possible and what you need to do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending