Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Okay this has been stressing me out for a long time.

I am aware that I have taken what could be seen as 'soft' a levels, my family has no experience with universities and the support I received from school was pretty poor and I was essentially sold on the subjects without proper information on how they could hinder me in my future.

I attended another college where I was taking Film Studies (I enjoy film very much and am very passionate about it so It seemed like a reasonable choice at the time when I didn't know about such a thing as 'soft' a levels), Computer science (another subject that interests me) and philosophy. Due to some mitigating circumstances I had to move colleges back to old sixth form a month afterwards, I effectively had to have me and my parents beg to let me back in and to my surprise they did, but I had to choose my choices right there and then on the day.

The subjects I was currently taking didn't fall into the option blocks of my sixth form so I chose: Film Studies, ICT (school doesn't offer computer science so this was the only thing in the block that was anywhere close) and English Literature (Since I do enjoy reading and I found it ridiculously easy to get a grade A at GCSE even doing it in year 10 and really just messing about the entire lesson) .

Recently I have changed my ideas of uni courses I want to do time and time again but after much though I have my heart set on a course: Politics (or international relations) and Economics (dual subject).

My predicted grades so far at AS level are:

Film Studies (A)
    English Lit (A/B)
    ICT (B)

Unis I was hoping to apply to are:

Lancaster (AAB)
    Reading (BBB-ABB)
    Kent (ABB)
    UEA (ABB)

I also plan to do the EPQ next year focused on an Economics question or perhaps something that incorporates both economics and politics.

Basically, my question is, is it likely that I'm able to get onto these courses at uni, assuming I meet the entry requirements (grade-wise)?

I also take part in a number of activities within school:
    Student ambassador
    English Literature ambassador
    Teaching basic English to younger students within from periods.

Do you think my application would be strong enough get me onto my choice of degree at these unis?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by methatoneyknow)

I am aware that I have taken what could be seen as 'soft' a levels, my family has no experience with universities and the support I received from school was pretty poor and I was essentially sold on the subjects without proper information on how they could hinder me in my future.

I attended another college where I was taking Film Studies (I enjoy film very much and am very passionate about it so It seemed like a reasonable choice at the time when I didn't know about such a thing as 'soft' a levels), Computer science (another subject that interests me) and philosophy. Due to some mitigating circumstances I had to move colleges back to old sixth form a month afterwards, I effectively had to have me and my parents beg to let me back in and to my surprise they did, but I had to choose my choices right there and then on the day.

The subjects I was currently taking didn't fall into the option blocks of my sixth form so I chose: Film Studies, ICT (school doesn't offer computer science so this was the only thing in the block that was anywhere close) and English Literature (Since I do enjoy reading and I found it ridiculously easy to get a grade A at GCSE even doing it in year 10 and really just messing about the entire lesson) .

Recently I have changed my ideas of uni courses I want to do time and time again but after much though I have my heart set on a course: Politics (or international relations) and Economics (dual subject).

Film Studies (A)
    English Lit (A/B)
    ICT (B)

Lancaster (AAB)
    Reading (BBB-ABB)
    Kent (ABB)
    UEA (ABB)

I also plan to do the EPQ next year focused on an Economics question or perhaps something that incorporates both economics and politics.

Basically, my question is, is it likely that I'm able to get onto these courses at uni, assuming I meet the entry requirements (grade-wise)?

Student ambassador

Do you think my application would be strong enough get me onto my choice of degree at these unis?
    From my understanding of it, there is more than just your subjects to consider when applying. If you can make yourself sound like an absolute god in your personal statement then in some universities that can have quite the effect!

Out of the A-level's you are doing I would say only Film Studies could really be considering a "soft" A-level, and unless the course you are applying for specifically states it won't accept a certain A-level then I wouldn't worry too much. At the end of the day it really depends on what grades you get, say if you get an A in Film studies and another applicant got a C in a "tough" subject like Maths you are the one with the grade, not them.

Like I said this is only my understanding of it so I could be wrong but I hope this helps a little bit

ReputationRep:
    As far as I know, there are no required A Levels needed for a degree in Politics. So, as long as you do as well as you can in your current subjects, write a great personal statement and have a good reference from your teachers, I don't see why you couldn't still get in.

If you're really worried, how about emailing the universities you're interested in and asking whether they would accept your subject combination, assuming you achieved the required grades?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by methatoneyknow)

Film Studies (A)
    English Lit (A/B)
    ICT (B)

Lancaster (AAB)
    Reading (BBB-ABB)
    Kent (ABB)
    UEA (ABB)

Student ambassador

None of your listed universities have a reputation for being picky about A level subjects. For courses like politics/IR and economics where the A levels aren't commonly available then a whole range of backgrounds are acceptable.

Your plan to use your EPQ for something relevant is a good one - it will give you a chance to do some more research into the topics you're likely to study at university and it demonstrates to your universities that you understand what the subjects involve and have the interest and motivation to do well.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Brussels sprouts
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.