Turn on thread page Beta

I got really good grades but I don't really want to go to uni watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Thought I'd put this out there and see if anyone could prompt me in the right direction. I got 3 A*s at A-level, and I consider myself academic/creative. My problem, however, is that I really don't feel that enthused by any course. I am a jack of all trades - I have no distinct passion. I'm really lost right now as with my grades I'm being pushed by family members to go to uni, and to an extent I'd like to, for the experience and intellectual stimulation. But I just can't see myself enjoying anything that much...

Last year I applied to do English, quickly realising that I actually hated it and wasn't that good at it (I'm just good at exams). This year I applied to both Politics and Fine Art, but neither are truly taking my fancy. I also applied to Liberal Arts courses but I'm pretty certain I haven't obtained places on those.

Wondering if anyone has had a similar experience, and chosen not to go to university? What did you do instead? Any advice appreciated...

ReputationRep:
    My advice is do work experience is different places you might want to work in. Alternatively - work at a full-time job and apply to university later - you might realise what you want to do some years down the line. By the way, not everyone works in the sector they do their degree in - don't restrict yourself

ReputationRep:
    congratulations on ur grades, I suggest you do a higher apprenticeship. You will gain a national vocational qualification, fantastic salary, and earn valuable job skills. If you stick to an apprenticeship (depending on your chosen job role) you can expect anywhere between £27k to £50. good luck and go have some fun.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by creamteapunk)
    Thought I'd put this out there and see if anyone could prompt me in the right direction. I got 3 A*s at A-level, and I consider myself academic/creative. My problem, however, is that I really don't feel that enthused by any course. I am a jack of all trades - I have no distinct passion. I'm really lost right now as with my grades I'm being pushed by family members to go to uni, and to an extent I'd like to, for the experience and intellectual stimulation. But I just can't see myself enjoying anything that much...

Last year I applied to do English, quickly realising that I actually hated it and wasn't that good at it (I'm just good at exams). This year I applied to both Politics and Fine Art, but neither are truly taking my fancy. I also applied to Liberal Arts courses but I'm pretty certain I haven't obtained places on those.

Wondering if anyone has had a similar experience, and chosen not to go to university? What did you do instead? Any advice appreciated...
    Maybe consider applying to a foreign university? They might have broader courses. I'd read stuff until you find something you're interested in, or get a job and go to university later.

ReputationRep:
    If you don't feel right going to uni then don't, take some time out, get a job, try out a few different jobs, maybe try to gain some experience in a few areas of interest, you might find that you love working in a certain environment and may decide to go to uni later on down the line to advance in that career path. It's a trial and error situation really, but better that than to waste a few years at uni now doing something you don't enjoy.

I spent years in and out of college, completely unsure about my future but after a few years doing jobs that I hate and a lot of research into careers that I would like to pursue, I decided that uni was the only way forward for me, that may not be the case for you, but after some experience and some time to think about what you really want to do, you'll be able to make a decision then, be it through uni or something else entirely.

ReputationRep:
    I think uni is such a heavy investment that you need to be fully committed to exceed at it. Take a year out, see how you feel, apply next year

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 14, 2016
Poll
Cats or dogs?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.